PDA

View Full Version : sump gasket should i use sealant or not?

squirrel-designs
11-02-10, 04:51 PM
just got my new sump gasket in the post and im going to fit it tonight. should i or should i not use any sealant whilst fitting it? just dont want to ruin the gasket and have to pay another £30 for a new 1 :confused:

Guderian
11-02-10, 05:38 PM
Yes i would use sealant. Don't need a great deal. For that application i would use hermetite 'instant gasket' silicon based (bright orange, comes in an orange and white tube, eg halfrauds) Lovely stuff. Not enough silicone in it to contaminate the engine oil, so no worries.

The sump gaskets are so vulnerable to weeps that the belt and braces approach is best.

peester
11-02-10, 05:42 PM
i heard it oozes over the sides (internally) as u meet the two parts.. leaving silicone dropping into ur oil ... clogging things..

napalm_27
11-02-10, 05:46 PM
iv never used it on a sump gasket due to some cases of clogged pick up pipes destroying engines
very light applications if used!!

squirrel-designs
11-02-10, 05:51 PM
can i use stickerflex (however u spell it) i dont fancy using it tbh i just dont want this rubber gasket to leak

Guderian
11-02-10, 05:53 PM
Yeah best to be cautious, can't argue with that, hence used sparingly. It is very rubbery and elastic however so tends to stay in one piece rather than lumps falling into the sump.

Alternative is hermetite red but that is semi setting so more applicable for coolant hoses and such like

Guderian
11-02-10, 05:54 PM
(sorry never heard of stickerflex)

squirrel-designs
11-02-10, 05:57 PM
just checked it up its called sikaflex its this stuff here,
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-TUBES-OF-SIKAFLEX-221-GREY-POLYURETHANE-SEALANT_W0QQitemZ160390621748QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM?h ash=item255806aa34

Benn
11-02-10, 07:40 PM
I'd only ever use RTV sealant, which is what Vauxhall use.

Your only ment to put a line over the crack and oil pump joining caps,
I did this on one of my xes and it sealed it up fine.
On my let it wasn't enough, so this time i've put a bead all around the block mating face.

(iirc the line of sealant is one when using the 8v/ecotec gasket baffle in one cant remember what it is when using the 2coke gaskets)

Stickaflex is used to glue windows in, i wouldn't use it on a sump.

Adam
11-02-10, 07:44 PM
Alls i did on mine was as Benn said, just on the oil pump join lines. I didnt put any on the gasket itself...
Made sure the sump and block face were mega clean and bolted it up, and it sealed fine, and it doesnt leak at all atm. Which is quite an achievement for a xe lol

On the last gasket i used a lot of sealent, it leaked and when i took the sump off the pickup pipe was full of silicone!!!!! It would of destroyed the engine if it had gone on for much longer

John
11-02-10, 07:45 PM
Just use a smear of the proper vauxhall stuff (grey in colour) I used it on my rubber sump gasket mod, and it never leaked. If you use too much it'll seep through like dave said.

George g
11-02-10, 07:47 PM
Most modern cars use a silicone free sealant for the sump nowadays. Loctite do a brilliant silicone free sealant, alternativly I use some loctite 518 - a non setting sealant like hylomar, but I find it a bit better.

Sikaflex is good stuff, but you will struggle to get the sump off if you ever need to again.

Benn
11-02-10, 08:52 PM
Just use a smear of the proper vauxhall stuff (grey in colour) I used it on my rubber sump gasket mod, and it never leaked. If you use too much it'll seep through like dave said.

Grey? Should have been black and smelt like salt and vinegar crisp...

squirrel-designs
12-02-10, 12:03 AM
well iv fitted i put a very small fine line all the way around the gasket like 2mm in width proberly hasnt done much tbh but il see how it goes hopefully stop the oil leak. couple more jobs left to do and it'l be at santa pod next week :D

Benn
12-02-10, 08:07 AM
Which gasket did you use?

squirrel-designs
12-02-10, 04:06 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360229375521&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

that 1

mayhem
12-02-10, 05:03 PM
i've sad it before.. have you skimmed the sump?
99% tightens the c20xe sump wrong and to tight, causing it to bend.

squirrel-designs
12-02-10, 05:30 PM
nope why would i skim the sump :S

Johnny A
12-02-10, 05:44 PM
I use black gasket sealant on all my sumps, works a treat