PDA

View Full Version : escabboo

Nebbz
11-02-10, 04:27 PM
Just got the good old nova to pull the peice of crap out of its hole its been in for three years! glad to say the wheel stayed on!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had a look around the engine bay n what not, but realised ALL the water for the cooling system had vanished :wtf: now i remember quite vividly the day it broke down i topped it all up with anti freeze and more water as was getting set in to summer. I usually drain once a year, and this year i was late (feb)

Is it normal for it to just vanish if all i did was drive to bristol and back (40 mile or so) and then its not moved since or do i have a leak which is so slow its not showing!?

also any one have any idea how hard it is to change a hub! sick of men telling me ill do it (me thinking great i get to stand and watch nommy) but they never do it.. lol

Welsh Dan
11-02-10, 05:00 PM
If a car has been stood for 3 years with a slow leak the coolant has probably leaked or evaporated. Top up the system and put cardboard under the engine to help locate a leak. Cardboard leaves a mark when it gets wet, even if it dries again.

To change the hub itself requires a press to press the new bearing into the hub carrier and the hub into the bearing. When mine needed new wheel bearings I paid a local garage £50 to do it as I don't have a press.

Nebbz
11-02-10, 05:32 PM
i dont have a press... and the car wont make it lmao well that sucks...looks like ill have to cook some one a roast dinner to get him off his **** lmao!

and will give that cardbord idea a go! never thought of that, i was sat on the floor for ages after topping it up! (fail)

brainsnova
11-02-10, 05:35 PM
remove the hub assembly and take it to a garage :thumb:

mowgli
11-02-10, 05:35 PM
just get a replacement hub from off the site

Nebbz
11-02-10, 06:16 PM
got the replacement hub in the back of the car waiting to go on! just need to fit it. thats all.... I dont mind if things ping off, just means i can get my nabour back for what he did a few years ago.......

Welsh Dan
11-02-10, 06:25 PM
By hub do you mean just the inner hub, or the whole steering knuckle?

Mike
11-02-10, 06:29 PM
If its the entire knuckle, you can DIY change it prety darn easy, wont even break a nail TBH.

mowgli
11-02-10, 06:43 PM
got the replacement hub in the back of the car waiting to go on! just need to fit it. thats all.... I dont mind if things ping off, just means i can get my nabour back for what he did a few years ago.......

do tell

jimbob-mcgrew
11-02-10, 07:52 PM
should be ok with the hub providing u can get the hub nut undone, there sometimes welded on, if your lucky tho, it wont be.
loads of wd40 and a 30mm socket on a beefy breaker bar should free it, or if your unlucky like me, youll snap 2 bars on it and be forced to take it down a garage where some guy will whale on it with a buzz gun for 3/4 minutes lol