just been to court today and got 3 points :(

they could have gave me 12!

there were 4 charges

number plate wasnt displayed
battery not secure
blue side lights
crack on the windscreen

this was all on a mk4 astra i had

the bumper was painted in primer and i was on my way to get more hardner for the paint, the number plate was in the top of the window because of this

battery not secure was a load of crap, it was strapped down but not tight enough (i tightend it there and then)

blue side lights lol yeah i admit that but the police put t on the statement that i was impersonating a police car haha

the crack on the windscreen was tiny

they gave me a 21 day ticket to get it fixed bu i couldnt gt the windscreen done in time

i sorn'd the car a week after getting pulled as mot and tax ran out

i took the sorn notice to the police station and though that was it

they gave me a £150 fine and 3 points, they said i was lucky as each offence could be 3 points each

Stuart
11-02-10, 12:51 PM
huh... how is each one a 3point offence.

My number plate sits on my dash 364days a year and I've not been pulled/pointed for it. And my windscreen has been cracked for 2 MOT's and its not failed on it and of course no points either.

me thinks you've been stiched up

MK999
11-02-10, 12:52 PM
me thinks he got done for the chav lights and they tried to make themselves look justified for pulling him by saying he "got off" on the rest of them lol

draper
11-02-10, 12:53 PM
methinks th ejudge was trying to scare you lol

3points will be for the battery, everything else is warnings/7days wonders unless you punched the copper lol

brainsnova
11-02-10, 01:09 PM
3 points was cause the judge was playing basket ball with your licence lol

burgo
11-02-10, 01:25 PM
since when is an insecure battery an offence.

AlanH
11-02-10, 01:48 PM
since as far as i can remember burgo, i've had an **** kickin off a copper for it before because i was bein a nob with him, no points or rectifier though. think it just depends on what side of the bed the copper got out of

draper
11-02-10, 01:58 PM
since when is an insecure battery an offence.

always has mate - i think its covered under 'unroadworthy vehicle'

burgo
11-02-10, 02:13 PM
surely if it cant fail the mot for it then it cant be an offence

wwmnw
11-02-10, 02:14 PM
I was under the impression it wouldn't pass an MOT with an unsecured battery.

johnny_turbo
11-02-10, 02:16 PM
nope not an offence as on the mots they get advised if they are insecure.

i went to court for it no points given.

burgo
11-02-10, 02:17 PM
nope all they can do is give you an advisorary.

phazer
11-02-10, 02:22 PM
I can't find a reference in the MOT manual to it but as others have said I'm sure it's a requirement to secure the battery. EDIT: just seen posts above...below still valid though :)

Having said that, a valid MOT doesn't equal a roadworthy car. An unsecured battery is going to fly at a considerable pace if it gets out of the engine compartment. I suspect he was done for the unroadworthyness aspect.

Edit: spelling

Jack
11-02-10, 02:35 PM
surely if it cant fail the mot for it then it cant be an offence
The law and an MOT are different things

burgo
11-02-10, 02:39 PM
The law and an MOT are different things

of course they are. what else did i expect from this country lol

draper
11-02-10, 02:41 PM
of course they are. what else did i expect from this country lol

affordable housing ? the ability to live a good, honest life ? decent roads ? :(

next you'll be telling me my road tax pays for the maintenance of the road network lol

Jack
11-02-10, 02:53 PM
next you'll be telling me my road tax pays for the maintenance of the road network lol
Its paying for me to sit at home and watch Star Trek at the moment lol

L33 LEG
11-02-10, 02:55 PM
This reminds me of years ago when i got sent to court for a 'deathtrap' of a car.

I got a list and a 10 page statement including things like broken clip for front bumper, gear stick too short, no doorcards, no interior door handles and pointless things like that. I also had 2 bald tyres and a missing wheel bolt and the cops were trying to scare me saying il be looking at 12 points. i went court and got 3 points...

wwmnw
11-02-10, 03:22 PM

Now that would be funny.

muzzy
11-02-10, 03:29 PM
I've still got 3 points on my license from nearly 4 years ago, how do you go about getting them taken off? It's not that big a deal as it makes next to no difference on insurance.

mowgli
11-02-10, 03:34 PM
I've still got 3 points on my license from nearly 4 years ago, how do you go about getting them taken off? It's not that big a deal as it makes next to no difference on insurance.

they are on for 3 & left on your licence for another year IIRC, so wait a bit & then get your licence renewed.

muzzy
11-02-10, 03:35 PM
OK thanks, i need to change my address soon anyway so will wait till then and sort it out.

Jack
11-02-10, 03:59 PM
Change of address will wipe them off I think, assuming they've expired.

Bear in mind insurance still need to know about them for 5 years

muzzy
11-02-10, 04:03 PM
I was hoping that alterations on my license would get rid of them (once they are expired), still got a year or so to declare them to insurance but at least it saves me changing my license again at a later date.

Jack
11-02-10, 04:10 PM
Well when I renewed my photocard (for which you have to send the paper bit off too) both my sets of expired points were removed at no additional charge.

muzzy
11-02-10, 04:11 PM
Someone told me you are charged for points to be removed, im assuming that is only if you want them removed with no other changes to your license?

L33 LEG
11-02-10, 04:14 PM
ye they charge you and as said, you have to wait for 4 years. sometimes if you change your address the points will come off free of charge. i keep meaning to get my address changed and see if some of my points come off.

swedge
11-02-10, 06:08 PM
i think i need to explain this a bit more

each offence carries 3 points because i did not get them fixed in the 21 days

all of the faults were fixed apart from the windscreen, the garage wouldnt stamp the ticket because not all the faults were fixed

if you get stopped and given a 21 day ticket for a fault and dont get it fixed you can recieve 3 points for each offence

swedge
11-02-10, 06:09 PM
huh... how is each one a 3point offence.

My number plate sits on my dash 364days a year and I've not been pulled/pointed for it. And my windscreen has been cracked for 2 MOT's and its not failed on it and of course no points either.

me thinks you've been stiched up

i didnt think it was an offence either as long as it as at the front of the car and visible but according to my solictor and judge and P.F. it is

Lewis.
11-02-10, 06:33 PM
i didnt think it was an offence either as long as it as at the front of the car and visible but according to my solictor and judge and P.F. it is

its an offence because it must be displayed onn a vertical surface, and on the outside of the vehicle. (real reason: gastos cant see them on the dash :d)

same goes for those numberplates that are stickers on the bonnet (unless its on an E type jag, cos they came from the factory like that)

Mike
11-02-10, 06:36 PM

You dont, they just get "discounted"

My counterpart is still showing 3 points from several years ago, however i now have a clean licenese as theyve expired so to speak.

novaguy08
11-02-10, 09:38 PM
Send it to DVLA with a £20 cheque and they remove them.

Just make doubly sure that they are expired otherwise they will still take the money and send your license back with the endorsements.

They did this with me, told me that it would come off from date of offence and it come back still with them on there, I went mental and they said its because I was banned and it wouldn't come off till date of conviction..... I had to pay to get another counterpart so that come back clean.

draper
11-02-10, 10:04 PM
i think i need to explain this a bit more

each offence carries 3 points because i did not get them fixed in the 21 days

all of the faults were fixed apart from the windscreen, the garage wouldnt stamp the ticket because not all the faults were fixed

if you get stopped and given a 21 day ticket for a fault and dont get it fixed you can recieve 3 points for each offence

well that does make more sense lol

but how can we the good people of PNG pass comment without all the facts