PDA

View Full Version : GEARBOX.

burgessovsalford
08-04-03, 10:28 AM
Just had a new gearbox fitted after my other went. I got a 5speed put into my 1.2 now. Does'nt anyone know if the 5speed are closer gear ratio than the 4speed? As its feels like it.

Also because I used ot have a 4speed, when I wanna put it into 5th gear I have to press down on my gear stick so it goes across into 5th(like when your putting it into reverse) Can I get this changed? & what do I need?

Nova-Boy
08-04-03, 11:00 AM
It will depend on what 5 speed it is.

I am not one to go on about gearboxes as i dont know much but I thought that on the SRs they had a close ratio gearbox so that it is the same as the 4 speed but spread out over 5 gears??

Are some 5 speeds the same ratio as the 4 speed with an extra gear for M/W driving? :roll:

rgv_stu
08-04-03, 12:58 PM
if you have not replaced the selector stick with a 5 speed then this is the reason why you have to push down to select 5th
either get a selector off a 5 speed or cut the lobe off the 4 speeder stick

with ratios i think the 4 and 5 speed have the same final ratio / first gear but with the extra available cog in the middle they make the centre gears closer.this gives it a nice drive and less rev drop when changing up the box

mikeoxford
08-04-03, 10:26 PM
ive noticed a difference between a nova gte box F13CR and a SR F10CR box, i cant put my finger on what though.

probly difrent ratios

brian
08-04-03, 11:14 PM
cut the lobe off the 4 speeder stick
this is the quickest option. pull up the gaiter (is it spelt gaiter or gaitor :? ) Move the stick across and you will see what we are on about :wink:

Tazzy
09-04-03, 09:17 PM
apperently, if you look on the gearbox, it will say either CR (close ratio) or WR (wide ratio) most SRs had CRs

frog_southampton
10-04-03, 09:07 AM
how do ya check oil in a gearbox?

burgessovsalford
10-04-03, 02:59 PM
is changing from a 4speed to a 5speed in a 1.2 a straight swap?

Reason asking is it does'nt look like it fits properly on my car on the underneath.

CP
10-04-03, 09:49 PM
The level plug is on the final drive housing behind the passenger side drive shaft not very far above the final drive inspection cover ( under the box)

frog_southampton
11-04-03, 09:19 AM
mike - u got a how2 on this ?:)

burgessovsalford
11-04-03, 04:17 PM
is changing from a 4speed to a 5speed in a 1.2 a straight swap?

Reason asking is it does'nt look like it fits properly on my car on the underneath.

Anyone know this? My car is working perfect, but im just a little worried as if I look at the bottom of my gearbox you can see some gears cogs, as the gearbox it a little bigger. :o