PDA

View Full Version : Six speed box on a Z18XE

joff-turbo-nova
10-02-10, 01:03 PM
Hi all,

As you may be aware I now have a 53 plate Meriva with a 1.8 16v engine , which is the Z18XE engine (cambelt driven with a F17CR gearbox on the older style gear linkage i.e not cable operated).

The gearing on the F17CR gearbox seems stupid when it comes to motorway driving - its revving around 3800 rpm at 70 mph (the nova with a F28 ticks over at about 2700 rpm at 70 !) . Its really doing the wifes head in and it feels like its revving its head off when you get anywhere near motorway speeds!

Anyway - I was thinking that given as I don't do standard what are the options on changing over the gearbox to something a bit more sensible that will give lower revs at 70 mph.

With the Merivas, very much like the Corsa C's the engine and gear box sits on an engine bed and this will need to be removed before I can extract the gearbox, so its not a straightforward job so was thinking that if I have to whip the gearbox out I might as well get something nice in there.

Being a fan of the six speed boxes since putting one on my C20XE back in 1998 I was thinking that maybe an F28 maybe an option - especially as I have a good spare one sitting under my bench gathering dust or if this won't fit maybe a variation of the M32 box?

Have found this on ebay but unsure whether it will fit as its from a 1.9 cdti vectra - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2005-VAUXHALL-VECTRA-1-9-CDTI-SIX-SPEED- . IGEARBOX_W0QQitemZ180463819432QQcmdZViewItemQQptZU K_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2a047b5a a8

I know that the M32 from a Corsa D VXR fits but these seem to be fetching mega bucks at the moment. ALso the F28 has a mechanical linkage (which is how the meriva is at the moment) and the M32 are cable driven (which means that I will need to change the gearstick and put in the cables on the meriva).

Third option is the boring one of getting a 5 speed box from a diesel astra which has a different final drive which may help a bit.

Comments , thoughts and suggestions gratefully accepted.

Cheers

Joff

mowgli
10-02-10, 01:20 PM
surely the simple option is to get a 17wr cluster & pop it in, then keep the f28 as a spare.....

Mark
10-02-10, 01:26 PM
It wouldn't fit anyway Z18XE is a smallblock engine.

mowgli
10-02-10, 01:28 PM
you'd be surprised.... here is not that much difference on the bell housings on big small blocks & big blocks...

Novasport
10-02-10, 02:00 PM
One of Novacabrios mates has an F28 fitted to a 1.6 8v.
Surely the best bet would be to swap the final drive?

Damo
10-02-10, 03:07 PM
Id go with the f28 joff if your having to take the cradle off anyway and if its not as much hassle as having to source cables and stuff for the meriva the only problem though wouldnt the ratios be a little long for the little 1.8?.

Damo.

mowgli
10-02-10, 03:10 PM
damen, think longterm.... what engine d'you think he wants to shove in it afterwards????

joff-turbo-nova
10-02-10, 03:12 PM
Surely the best bet would be to swap the final drive?

As a stop gap measure I was considering this which is the easiest option - however if I do this , not having taken a diff out of anything but an F28 (which you split the box in half) how do you do the following :-

- change the final drive cog?
- preload the diff bearings?

Cheers :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Joff

joff-turbo-nova
10-02-10, 03:13 PM
damen, think longterm.... what engine d'you think he wants to shove in it afterwards????

Z .... 16 ....... LER ? lol

Damo
10-02-10, 03:13 PM

lol yea he will probs be shovin a vectra 3.2 twin turbo engine in it before long.

Damo.

Damo
10-02-10, 03:15 PM
Z .... 16 ....... LER ? lol

Nar go for the vectra variant 3.2 twin turbo lol should fill the gap in the engine bay joff lol.

Damo.

craig green
10-02-10, 03:38 PM
I would bung in a wide ratio variant of the box you have tbh.
Also, when you come to sell it, you either lose your F28 or have to remove it again.
Vauxhall short ratio boxes are pants at times. Even on a Nova Gte/GSi CR, 70mph is just a tad over 3k rpm. 3800rpm is just daft in a car that despite its engine, has no sporting credentials whatsoever.

joff-turbo-nova
10-02-10, 09:20 PM
I would bung in a wide ratio variant of the box you have tbh.
Also, when you come to sell it, you either lose your F28 or have to remove it again.
Vauxhall short ratio boxes are pants at times. Even on a Nova Gte/GSi CR, 70mph is just a tad over 3k rpm. 3800rpm is just daft in a car that despite its engine, has no sporting credentials whatsoever.

So looking at this list here :- http://www.opel-infos.de/getriebe/gf5.html#f17

Going down the simple route I would be best looking for a mk4 Astra box from a car with either a Y17DT or Z17DTL with a gearbox prefix DK or LD - are these the cdti models?

Joff