PDA

View Full Version : Ignition live to head unit

HardcoreDave
10-02-10, 10:51 AM
Hi,
I'm fed up with having to have my keys in position 2 to have the stereo on as it means the fans ect are also powered up.
I want to change the switch live so it works on key position 1, my question is where do I find some power that works with the key in this position? Is it an easy job?
Thanks

burgo
10-02-10, 10:53 AM
on the back of the barrel??? if i had my haynes i could tell you which wire it is but i dont, hopefully someone else can. all you do is cut some of the insulation of the wire with a stanley blade and then solder to it and re-insulate obviously

HardcoreDave
10-02-10, 10:55 AM
Dam that was quick, thanks for the reply.
I need to know what colour to chop into, can anyone advise?
Thanks

L14MNP
10-02-10, 12:32 PM
Stick the keys in on pos. 1 and test the wires with a probe/meter or a DIY test light lol. Get a Stanley blade, crocodile clip and a bulb, Twist/solder the wires to the blade with the bulb on one side and crocodile clip on the other, earth it with the clip and then you can carefully slide into the insulation on the wires. When you find one that lights up, switch the igntion off, if it stays on it's pos.1 if not its permanent.

That's ghetto as you like but it works. lol

ant_tay
10-02-10, 01:01 PM
just wire the ign live on the stereo loom to a constant live on the car loom it will be on all the time unless you turn it off

L14MNP
10-02-10, 01:13 PM
I'm guessing he's gonna need to search for a permanent live too mate. Unless you know the colours he can use?

HardcoreDave
13-02-10, 08:59 PM
OK, I have had my tester out on the ignition barrel and there doesn't seem to be a live coming from the ignition position 1 at all!
Am I doing something wrong here? The ignition barrel has 4 wires going into it.
Do I need another ignition barrel? Is it normal for position 1 to do nothing at all?
Thanks
Dave

Annie
13-02-10, 09:14 PM
Why dont you just wire your players + live & + memory to a live feed, then you can turn your player on & off without the ignition.

sparky
14-02-10, 06:43 PM
I used one of the wires coming off of the fan control, now my headunit goes off when I switch my car off, which is what I wanted.

Dave.
15-02-10, 12:14 AM
I think that all position 1 does is release the steering lock

I was looking into doing this a while ago, but thats what i got told, so i never attempted it

brainsnova
15-02-10, 12:17 AM
test it when the dash is on but the engine is not running.

HardcoreDave
17-02-10, 10:06 AM
Is it possible to get an ignition switch from another car, eg an Astra that will fit and have a switch live on position 1?

scoobynova
21-02-10, 10:19 PM
If it currently is red stereo to red iso and yellow to yellow try putting red to yellow and yellow to red, seems to work for me for constant feed in position one