PDA

View Full Version : bogging down??

Connor
10-02-10, 12:38 AM
Haii, been having problems with my 1.2
Other night was out in my car,
high revs and the thing just randomly bogged completely out :confused:
got it started but as soon as i put any throttle on it would cut out,
i pulled the choke out (manual obv lol) and it is fine but still misfires slightly,
haven't had any chance to have a look but will friday,
i was thinking i may of knocked the ignition timing on the dizzy perhaps
but it doesn't make sense??
Anyone who can point me in the right direction would be appreciated (with rep;) )
as havent got much time on friday to have a look at it

Cheers
Connor

Annie
10-02-10, 12:53 AM
if its bogging down wouldnt that be fuel stavation.. fuel pump? vacuum leak?

but if its misfiring gotta be dizzy/coil related. check leads, plugs etc, low compression head gasket?

im just a women thou who reads the haynes book to much lol

Connor
10-02-10, 01:05 AM
cheers annie, and yea
thats whats not making sense, will
just have a look as it may be a combination
but it was weird how it just went like that?

Annie
10-02-10, 01:10 AM
could be something simple like a broken plug lead.

sounds like a process of elimination, Good luck :)

Jack
10-02-10, 01:13 AM
Condition of plugs will tell you if its running lean (or possibly rich although thats unlikely if it runs better with the choke out).

Any signs of oil and water mixing?

Annie
10-02-10, 01:18 AM
my moneys on

http://search.hp.my.aol.co.uk/aol/redir?src=image&clickedItemURN=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mgf.ultimatemg.com %2Fgroup1%2Finfo%2Fcar_buying%2Fmayo_in_cap2.jpg&moduleId=image_details.jsp.M&clickedItemDescription=Image Details

my friends did this, the cylinder filled with water & it wouldnt turn over.

rubachuk
10-02-10, 09:26 AM
Air you running a K&N or similar? When it's cold the 2e3 carbs can "ice" and cause similar symptoms to what you describe when running a performance filter. I'm not sure whether the manual choke, the 1b or whatever they are suffers the same problem.

Cure is to refit original dustbin lid filter until the weather warms up (probably August)

Damo
10-02-10, 09:57 AM
Has it had a good service recently like oil/filters plugs etc that would be my starting point tbh then if that dosent cure it id do a compression test on it as well.

Damo.

Connor
10-02-10, 06:39 PM
Engine is completely standard,
binlid and everything :)
got a feeling its running lean
but i am going to have a fiddle with it tommorow

daverobson
10-02-10, 07:31 PM
mine was doin this and didnt find anything obvious straight away, ended up removing and cleaning/replacing leads cap rotor arm, and removing and cleaning carb out, and was still doin it lol. put dustbin back on top, hasnt done it since (only a week ago, but fingers crossed)

mowgli
10-02-10, 07:51 PM
on a 1.2 carb, the choke cable can slip, & the advance/retard diaphragm on the dizzy can perish.. both cause bad running like you've described

Connor
10-02-10, 09:31 PM
meh will have a tinker with it tommorow,
thinking its a mix of dizzy and carb,
or just might take the engine out and put something worth spending
time on, in it :)

Connor
11-02-10, 02:09 AM
Anyone who can point me in the right direction would be appreciated (with rep;) )

Nearly forgot :thumb:

Phaeton
17-02-10, 11:28 PM
advance/retard diaphragm on the dizzy can perish..

Sorry to hi-jack, lads 1.2 Nova is only doing around 20 to the gallon, been told this is the culprit, are they available, if so where from?

Alan...

mowgli
18-02-10, 08:25 AM
try the dealer to see if the bit is still available, or try sourcing a recon dizzy, cos the bob weights inside will be rattly as hell after 20 years of use