PDA

View Full Version : mk3 astra

vauxboi
09-02-10, 09:22 PM
Anyone know what they are like to drive/realiability what to look out for. Not looking at the gsi's mainly the other models. Cheers

ianglanister
09-02-10, 09:31 PM
i had very bad expieriences with mine, i think i just bought a bad one, i wont spam the thread with the problems if you want to know more let me know and i will explain

just vaux trev
09-02-10, 09:33 PM
rear arches "2 door" worse than nova's imo:eek:
but if looked after nice cars

burgo
09-02-10, 09:38 PM
they are very wollowie in standard form

vauxboi
09-02-10, 09:49 PM
oh obviously i would change parts, suspension being first of which as i have heard they are abit limp in the corners but yh it wouldnt be standard for long. Is there any annoying/major problems with these cars. ianglanister i would looooooooooooooove to know all the problems, gives me an idea what to look out for.

burgo
09-02-10, 09:52 PM
its a vauxhall!!! so no theres not

ianglanister
09-02-10, 09:55 PM
the main thing i had with mine was all brakes failed had to replace everything minus the calipers. brake valves,boses,cylinders etc. so ideally get one just passed mot so all should be fine with brakes as they would of found any leaks/corroded parts. the only other problems i have were head gasket went, exhaust and yes was very wobbly in the corners but mine was standard set up hope this helps mate

dave watson
09-02-10, 10:07 PM
my mates mk3 astra was in this months total vauxhall but i no the rear arches are bad

Bubba
09-02-10, 10:07 PM
mine was a 1.4 8v, engine was sweet as even at 150k rear arches had slight rust, but over all it never let me down.

Mike
09-02-10, 10:19 PM
Suspension top mounts are always shagged on them. They rust like a MOFO around the rear arch/fuel cap, alarms play up on then now & again, sun roofs leak, washer jet hoses perish.

Oh, and for some reason the front indicator lenses like to fall off. Mine did it, an ive seen loads of others like it.

ianglanister
09-02-10, 10:21 PM
ye forgot the also the top mounts were gone on mine. cost about £125 to get both sorted so watch out for them aswel

dave watson
09-02-10, 10:24 PM
also behind the front seats rot as in floor and petrol cap front arches aswell

Mike
09-02-10, 10:27 PM
ye forgot the also the top mounts were gone on mine. cost about £125 to get both sorted so watch out for them aswel

£17 a peice of the internerd :thumb: PITA to do thought as the coil springs are about half a ten hundred mile long :(

swedge
10-02-10, 04:53 AM
my mates mk3 astra was in this months total vauxhall but i no the rear arches are bad

the blue c20let?

mowgli
10-02-10, 08:41 AM
i had a 1.7td (isuzu) facelift model, and it was excellent, ok, the understeer needed driving round a bit, but it was a great car. just a family car though, not a sporty thing

Guderian
10-02-10, 09:00 AM
...bad batch of coil springs around 1997, i had one break.

front susp. bushes wear out

Rust on rear arches.

The petrol spi engine is not terribly good. But then you know that anyway. The 1.4spi and 1.6spi can hardly pull themselves along.

L14MNP
10-02-10, 11:09 AM
I had a 4dr Isuzu TD a few years back. Awesome workhorse (sh!t boot, but then it's a salooon) Used to love cherry and veg oil. Pulled well and was a reliabe albeit boring car. Then it seized, despite it being serviced reguarly. :tard:

shaun_sr
10-02-10, 11:39 AM
I had an R reg for a week. It was in a slight ding. Tryed to straighten the front by wrapping a chain round the front and round a pillar of the local water tower haha. Buy corsa b 40mm springs for it and it'll sit on its hole :) I'll try get a pic of mine

wilson_sri
10-02-10, 11:55 AM
I really like mine. Was a phase 2 GSI, mega clean. Always wish i had kept it and stuck a LET in.

As above with all the problems really. Although the phase 2 gsi seem to hold up a lot better to rust than the Phase 1. Although not so good a engine but that can easily be changed.