PDA

View Full Version : bottom end

stugsi
07-04-03, 08:35 PM
well my bottom end is gone :(
so should i get another 1600 gsi bottom end or is there another vauxhall bottom end i could have to get more power
please help

mikeoxford
07-04-03, 09:29 PM
just the 1600 block i would have thought mate

nowt bigger you can use

aragorn reckons all the 1600 bottom ends are the same so maybe dont even bother looking for a gte or GSi one which u think may have been ragged, get a low mileage carb one or sommat

Aragorn
07-04-03, 11:34 PM
16sv block(astra/cavvy carb) = 16SE block(nova GTE)

the low compression nz and nv might not be the same

Nova Modder
08-04-03, 01:06 AM

may i suggest a good doctor... or maybe a hospital :)

mikeoxford
08-04-03, 01:39 AM

may i suggest a good doctor... or maybe a hospital :)

or even a good mechanic :lol:

rgv_stu
08-04-03, 09:20 AM
the block may be the same but the pistons may be different.

match
08-04-03, 11:54 AM
just rebuild it, piece of piss to do will cost you around ?150 to do a proper good job on it at the most

mikeoxford
08-04-03, 10:19 PM
the block may be the same but the pistons may be different.

nope ENTIRELY the same

PeteG
09-04-03, 12:53 AM
wouldn't bet on it. 20ne and 20seh are known to have different pistons. coz thats were the difference in compression is. Seen as the head castings are the same with the ne and seh,then I should imagine same for the 1.6 units.

mikeoxford
09-04-03, 01:05 AM
i would

and if im wrong, ill be beating up aragorn ;)

i havent been ar$ed but he assures me he has put all the part numbers through on EPC and all the bottom end matches, crank, pistons, con rods, the lot

rgv_stu
09-04-03, 09:20 AM
perhaps aragorn ought to get out more then ;)

im just going off previous experience with the 2.0 and 1.4 units. and if you take apart a 1.2 a 1.3 and a 1.4 you will see that all the pistons are different shapes not just a bigger or smaller version. thats why i say dont bet on it being the same.

match
09-04-03, 01:48 PM
sv (cavvy) = se (nova)

absolutly and definatly the same, and yes even the piston tops are the same,

re-built my mates se motor and it was exactly the same as my sv out of a cav, i only used the sv from a cav as it meant cheaper insurance because insurance companies do not know they are the same as the se in a 1600 nova! :lol: :lol:

mikeoxford
09-04-03, 02:20 PM
:oops: glad i werent talkin out of my hat! :roll:

match
09-04-03, 03:35 PM
no i agree wi u mike, any news on the throttle linkage at all bud?

got really cheap insurance cos i used the sv out of a cav rather than the se from a nove!! :lol: :lol:

Aragorn
09-04-03, 09:01 PM
um u proved yourself wrong there??

the SV and SE are both "S" class engines meaning 10:1 compression - both of em run 10:1

the SEH and NE example u used are in different classes

one runs 10:1 the other summat like 9.4:1 hance the different letter

the C14NZ and 14NV blocks are also identical (SPI and carbed 1400) as are their heads - only the inlet and cam varies with those 2

i do know the SV's head is different tho

mikeoxford
09-04-03, 09:55 PM
looking at epc i still vow the bottom ends are the same :twisted:

Aragorn
09-04-03, 10:04 PM
thats what i said :o

match
10-04-03, 02:10 PM
se and sv hed differences:-

the valves in the sv from the cav are slightly larger than those in the se motor from a nova, and the inlet ports are different shapes

mikeoxford
10-04-03, 05:35 PM

the valves in the sv from the cav are slightly larger than those in the se motor from a nova, and the inlet ports are different shapes

although im not planning on using either - which is the best out of the two?

match
10-04-03, 09:42 PM
i am told by many people that race grass track that its better to use the sv head as it has the bigger valves, cos i was gonna buy a se head off someone and he told me to stick with the cavvy one, he swapped his off the nova to the cavvy 1 for his grasser

which head are u using mike?

any news on that throttle linkage mate before i start making one??

mikeoxford
10-04-03, 10:33 PM
i am told by many people that race grass track that its better to use the sv head as it has the bigger valves, cos i was gonna buy a se head off someone and he told me to stick with the cavvy one, he swapped his off the nova to the cavvy 1 for his grasser

which head are u using mike?

any news on that throttle linkage mate before i start making one??

engine build is a bit sketchy at the moment! finnished product is not 100% yet ;)

as for linkage, as you say delortto and weber are difrent, and im trying my bnest for you but havent come up with one yet - sell your delorttos for webers and then we can talk ;)

match
12-04-03, 07:23 PM
not a chance of sellin the dellortos - got em at too much of a ggod price to part with em!!

cheers mate

u got the no for the place that does the webber ones @ ?25??

stugsi
12-04-03, 07:35 PM
sorry to be a pain don't understand the terms of the engines so what pisions should i use

cavvy or nova and does anyone fancy doing it for me :D

what about the crank would that have to be changed

beghy
12-04-03, 09:45 PM

The information above is not right my friend, all SV engine produced 82Bhp and all SE engine produced 100Bhp. SV valves are 34mm/29mm where as SE had 38mm/33mm, having small valves aids torque at low end but how ever loseing over-all power. Having big valves aids top end power but have low end torque.

mikeoxford
12-04-03, 11:47 PM
well - whatever the weather - stu mate, although the top ends may be different, i see no differences with the bottom end

so whatever motor it is off get a 1600 bottom end and youll be laffing as the bottoms do all appear to be the same - dont worry about the top ends since youll be fitting your 1600 gear on it anyway

stugsi
13-04-03, 01:44 PM
cheers for all your help mates ill sort somethin out when my car comes back for the body shop

mikeoxford
14-04-03, 12:22 AM
cheers for all your help mates ill sort somethin out when my car comes back for the body shop

good good

stu mate give us a call one night when its back and ill make sure i got the relevent bits in to do them jobs for you and ill fly across to you