PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning 20XE hydraulic followers

Iain
09-02-10, 05:48 PM
I have my hydraulic followers apart (the piston part removed from the bucket), but I'm unsure about how to clean them. Found this guide but don't really understand some of it: http://www.nuvision.ndo.co.uk/tappets.htm

I have left them soaking in paraffin, and cleaned the bucket part out so it looks clean inside.

But what's the correct way of cleaning the piston bit? That guide says to depress the ball, so I did that with a screwdriver and it moves in and out freely + all the old oil came out. But it shows him squishing it by hand afterwards! With mine, after squishing all the old oil out it's very firm and will not squish by hand. Is this right?

Edit:
Ahhhhh, I depressed it in the paraffin so it was probably full of that, doh. It's now depressable with my fingers now it's empty. Problem solved. :roll:

Iain
11-02-10, 08:23 PM
Another question about this process.

I have just discovered by accident that you can take apart the piston part. The inner part just pulls out of the outer part with your fingers exposing the spring. Is this right?!

muzzy
11-02-10, 08:28 PM
Another question about this process.

I have just discovered by accident that you can take apart the piston part. The inner part just pulls out of the outer part with your fingers exposing the spring. Is this right?!

Yes that is correct, you can now clean the inside out with a rag or something similar

Iain
11-02-10, 08:30 PM
Yeah? Cool. The guide above didn't mention anything about that, just said to depress the ball to empty the old oil.

So wtf is that little circlip for if it just comes apart?

What I've got now:
http://iainel.co.uk/images/forums/HydraulicFollower.JPG

muzzy
11-02-10, 08:34 PM
Should all just go back together as it was and push in and stay in but make sure you can still press it in and out once its back together. You dont HAVE to take it apart but we always did when rebuilding heads just to make sure they were properly cleaned out and the spring was ok.

Not sure about a circlip though?

Iain
11-02-10, 08:49 PM
There's a tiny little circlip style ring at the bottom of the piece on the very far right.

muzzy
11-02-10, 08:57 PM
I know on the Rover engines there is a retaining ring on it and it locates into a ridge to hold the whole lot in. Could be the same thing, ive never had a good look at one from an XE.

Benn
11-02-10, 09:05 PM
Nice never taken them apart that far...
Normal cleaning out the main cup stops tapping i've found.