PDA

View Full Version : LAN printer

Jack
09-02-10, 03:13 PM
I need a printer, can anyone recommend me one?

Must be (YEAH look at me using the list option lol):

Cheap (inc cheap carts)
Small (won't be on a desk, but I don't want a massive office thing)
Colour
Inkjet with decent(ish) quality
LAN-interface with/instead of USB

Suggestions? Or would it be cheaper for me to buy a cheapo USB printer and LAN print server?

Welsh Dan
09-02-10, 04:19 PM
Something made by brother?

6) A half decent brand

Epson? (http://www.epson.co.uk/Printers-and-All-In-Ones/Inkjet/Epson-Stylus-Office-BX310FN)

Fester
09-02-10, 05:53 PM
Seen plenty of HP 2600n (colour laser) fire out the pages all day long. It's discontinued now but would be worth seeking out a refurb or find out what its replacement is.

I hate inkjet by all manufacturers - make harsh banging noises, paper is soaking wet and rippled, ink spills etc. etc. then they die a death anyway.

Jack
09-02-10, 06:12 PM
Both are a little large really. Looks like I'm going to have to spend dollar and have a large unit if I want LAN stuff, as it seems only office kit has it :(

I say inkjet as I'm trying to avoid laser; toner carts being generally expensive compared to ink carts.

A cheap USB desktop printer would do I guess, it would just be handy to have a printer that 2 PCs and laptop can access without having to keep plugging cables in and out.

MK999
09-02-10, 06:15 PM
I say inkjet as I'm trying to avoid laser; toner carts being generally expensive compared to ink carts.

Per cartridge, per page is cheaper afaik

Jack
09-02-10, 09:06 PM
Had a thought, a wifi one may suit my needs as I could link it to my wifi router perhaps...

Lexmark Z2490 (http://www.reevoo.com/p/lexmark-z2490) has good reviews, and play have it at £35 with free delivery. Yeah its a lexmark so it'd be cheaper to buy a new printer than the carts... but the amount I'd use it for it may just do the job. Hmm

Welsh Dan
09-02-10, 10:07 PM
I had a Samsung mono laser printer a few years ago. You could pop a bung out of the cartridge to refill it. I used to get around 3000 pages per £6 worth of toner. Every 5-6 refills I had to get a new genuine toner because the drum in the cartridge would get worn out.

Ben
09-02-10, 10:18 PM
imo and experience lexmark are shat, the spftware is always falling down and the refills cost a fortune.

I highly rate epson.

Pistol Pete
09-02-10, 10:21 PM
I've got a Lexmark X4650 IIRC. Wireless, copier, scanner, colour...yeah cartridges are abit on the pricey side but then what ones arent lol

Mike
09-02-10, 10:24 PM
PC World are/were selling a HP Scanner/Photocopier/printer/faxer/card reader/iPod docking station/car park attendant/better then a wife/doesnt moan at ironing/can read a map/smart as fook black thing for £50 odd.

Jack
09-02-10, 10:25 PM
I'm aware lexmark are shoite - we had a big colour laser in Apache and it did nothing but break... and the delivery guy said he had 500 lexmark inkjets in his truck to deliver to Tesco but 2/3 of them were known to be faulty lol - I'm thinking £35 I could just buy another one if it breaks though... :d

Mike
09-02-10, 10:26 PM
We've never had a problem with our wind up/clockwork Lexmark printer at my dads? The refills are pish cheap IF you dont buy genuine Lexmark items to.

Pistol Pete
09-02-10, 10:28 PM
Same here. Never had any issues at all with mine.