PDA

View Full Version : wot is this???!!!

TUBZGSXR
07-04-03, 05:42 PM
when i stand at the back of my SRI with the engine on i can hear a hissin sound that sounds like its cumin from the right hand side (as u look at it) i looked underneath and all i can see is a sort of round metal thing with sum sort of black thick wire cumin from it maybe??!! thats bein held on by a metal braket, im not even sure if the hissin is cumin from that thing at all!! but it is quiet worryin, at 1st i thought it was a crack in the exhaust, but its just bin welded so i dont think its that, and it realy does sound like its cumin from the right hand side.. any ideas??
tubz

Aragorn
07-04-03, 05:50 PM
fuel pump???

they can make a buzzy hissy type sound if they are a bit worn

me das old audi did that

GSiLuvver
07-04-03, 06:07 PM
Yep. Its your fuel pump. No need to panic, its perfectly normal. If you want to know for definite, switch the car off, carefully pull off the two wires going to the "sort of metal round thing", and then start the car again. Quickly run round to the back off the car and listen for the sound. You'll have to be quick as after a few seconds the engine will stall because they'll be no fuel getting to it!

When you're done, just connect the wires back up and after a couple of turns of the key, the engine should start again.

Note: Don't do the above if you have a catalytic converter on your sri as you shouldn't run out of petrol with one fitted!

jatinder
07-04-03, 07:44 PM
yep its the fuel pump it does that on mine too i quite like it!

Snowface
08-04-03, 07:00 PM
i got a noise. its more like a buzz. i thought it could be the alternator belt cause when you rev higher the noise gets higher pitched. Does it need oiling/greasing?

Alex
08-04-03, 07:05 PM
dont oil or grease the belt, otherwise it will just slip. Check that it is not worn and that the tension is ok

Snowface
08-04-03, 07:11 PM
i meant oiling the bearing thing, not the belt. or is it the belt making the noise?

Alex
08-04-03, 07:14 PM
could be either. but if it is more of a buzz, i wouldn't say the belt

mikeoxford
08-04-03, 10:12 PM
could be either. but if it is more of a buzz, i wouldn't say the belt

nope

bearing methinks - may be OVER tightened