PDA

View Full Version : what is wrong with my car, HELP PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!

Ric 16v
07-04-03, 05:30 PM
right then I posted a topic about a week ago saying my fan hadn't been cutting in when it was supossed to and my engine has been boiling, people said it might of been the fuse, I'v checked the fuse for the fan and put a new one in even though it hadn't blown and still didn't cut in so I put a new head gasket on it yesterday and all the other gaskets and also a new thermostat and the radiator swich is virtually brand new but the fan still isn't coming on when it is supposed to, so what the fuck is up with it, I'v ordered a new radiator swich and will be getting it tomorrow, all the wires are connected etc, so does any body know what is up with it as I don't want to take it to the garage and spend a fortune, cheers :? :? :? :? :?

Aragorn
07-04-03, 05:45 PM
hrm - have u treid connecting the fan directly over the battery to see of it fires up?

if so then check all the wiring

the engine shouldnt really get to boiling point during normal driving unless your revving the nackers off it at idle

if your stuck in traffic and the guage starts rising then wind the windows down put the heater onto hot and whack the fan on full blast

its crude but it will stop the engine overheating - u will end up bending the head if u keep letting it overheat

Ric 16v
08-04-03, 07:08 PM
I'v allready connected the fan straight to the batery and it does work, it's not the fuse, wiring, headgasket, radiator swich (just got new one today) or thermostat, I'm a bit puzzled by this one :| :| :| :| :| cheers for the help

Aragorn
08-04-03, 07:34 PM
if you bypass the temp switch wiring the fan should fire up

does it?

if not the try and bypass it at the fan end

if not then im guessing there is a break somwhere - one of the fan feeds from the car should be live when the ignition is on - look in haynes and find it then test the loom for it

Chris LR
08-04-03, 08:59 PM
I'd suspect a dodgy fan motor......

But if that turns out to be fine I'd take a long hard look at all of the wiring in the circuit...... Use Mr Multimeter too.