PDA

View Full Version : Painting...

ianglanister
08-02-10, 05:52 PM
Dont know if this is in the right section, mods please move if needed.

May sound like a very daft question but as ive never done it before thought im best to ask.

I am thinking about painting some bits on my engine on the cav to tidy it up inc the heat shield, block and other bits just to make it look better.

I know i will need to use heat proof paint, anyone know of any good makes etc?

will i need to primer it in any way? and what about laquer?

Thanks for any help
Ian

MattBrown
08-02-10, 06:15 PM
Halfords heat proof paint isnt to bad, only thing, its doesnt shine, well it does, untill it gets hot!

Best thing is powder coat I would say

ianglanister
08-02-10, 06:17 PM
Cant powder coat myself though and cant justify paying stupid amounts on a project car at the moment. hence why going to do it all myself im trying to save some money for the house...

If i got halfords stuff would i not be able to laquer it for the extra long lasting shine? Cheers

MattBrown
08-02-10, 06:22 PM
I think laquer will just boil off matey!

My drums and calipers looked ace untill I showed them the lanes lol

Gone really really dull now:(

However, halfords do a caliper painting kit, with hi temp everything, look on the website, the lads I did are still shiny, so try it

MK999
08-02-10, 06:25 PM
can also get gunk engine lacquer from halfords

ianglanister
08-02-10, 06:36 PM
cool will check out there website and try to find some others. Its the heat shield looking abit naff and all of the block is so want to clean it all up and spray it all. Cheers

Pistol Pete
08-02-10, 08:08 PM
I did alot of mine with Hammerite. Check out my WIP for pics. Heat shield...this is alloy isnt it? Maybe get busy with the polish?