PDA

View Full Version : Brake Lines & MOT Regulations

l1nuxxx
07-02-10, 09:13 PM
Hi everyone,

I was thinking of runnig the brake lines through my Nova via a Bias Valve that I have. The car use to have this before but got changed before I got it and I dunno why.

I was wondering if it was because of MOT regulations of something?

How exactly does a Bias Valve work and will it improve brakeing?

The car has a V6 in it so is front heavy and has V6 brakes all round.

Thanks

Andrew

MK999
07-02-10, 09:16 PM
it will effectively restrict the braking on the rear end, stopping it locking up, which with V6 brakes all round/discs on the back in general that were designed for a heavy vectra/cav/omega etc delete as appropriate and now have a large baked bean can sat on top of them is a good idea

l1nuxxx
07-02-10, 09:19 PM
Its funny you say that, I braked hard the other day and the rear end locked which I found a tad strange. They are from a Cavalier.

MK999
07-02-10, 09:19 PM
edit: didn't realise it had actually been taken off; yeah that's the reason it's there.

l1nuxxx
07-02-10, 09:23 PM
See I don't want to go to the trouble of re fitting it all in for it to fail an MOT because it's not mean't to be there lol

bazil
07-02-10, 09:24 PM
iirc they dont change the braking force to the front only the rear as said, some of the ones ive seen only have a single input and output and you'll have two pies going to the rear, check and make sure before you buy one, or fit a pedal box.

oh welcome to png

l1nuxxx
07-02-10, 09:51 PM
Thanks

I actually already have one, I found it under the passanger seat not connected.

Is it a hard thing to plumb in?

16v Nova Kev
07-02-10, 09:55 PM
iirc they dont change the braking force to the front only the rear as said, some of the ones ive seen only have a single input and output and you'll have two pies going to the rear, check and make sure before you buy one, or fit a pedal box.

oh welcome to png

scotch or steak pies baz lol

l1nuxxx
07-02-10, 10:02 PM
Right had a quick look and it has one input and output

Any good?

bazil
07-02-10, 10:02 PM
spellcheck FAIL.

bazil
07-02-10, 10:11 PM
Right had a quick look and it has one input and output

Any good?

Hmm im NOT an expert but on your car the front right and rear left are on the same circiut, and front left and rear right on the other, this gives you 4 pipes, on a standard master cylinder you block the two ports for the rear brakes and use the two front brake ports for the brake system. front brake line out then into a t piece then to front left and right, the other front port is used for the rear brakes. line out linked into the adjuster then out into a t piece then split to rear left and right. you then adjust the regulator to the required setting.

CHECK THIS BEFORE TRYING IT! I AINT RESPONSABLE IF IT GOES WRONG:thumb:

l1nuxxx
07-02-10, 10:13 PM
www.allstarperformance.com/product.htm?prod=365 (http://www.allstarperformance.com/product.htm?prod=365)

Found it online
Look any good?

bazil
07-02-10, 10:14 PM
yeah buts in americaland innit

l1nuxxx
07-02-10, 10:22 PM
Lol I already have it, I found it under the passanger seat, perhaps it an immigrant lol

bazil
07-02-10, 10:26 PM
as i said im pretty sure you need to alter all your brake lines or you could maybe get away with putting 2 into 1 before the bias valve then 1 back to 2 after, stick a thread up in mechanical and ask for advice but be specific with your title! dont just put need help lol a title like brake bias valve help, you have more than 15 posts now so get a photobucket account and stick a pic up of it too

16v Nova Kev
07-02-10, 10:29 PM
im sure there is somwthing in articles about brake lines

George g
08-02-10, 09:32 PM
This is the best diagram i could find, normally a restrictor is placed before - but in line with - a Hydraulic handbrake so replace the handbrake with the restrictor and ensure that the restrictors on the main brake cylinder are removed. And sorry for the size...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachments/technical-stuff/6761d1207660262-hydraulic-handbrake-factory-handbrake-removal.jpg