PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel

bloke
07-04-03, 09:20 AM
how do you get a steering wheel off? we followed the haynes manual up until it says use a two armed puller to take the wheel off, we were using a two arm puller but it wernt comin off. Please help i want to swap my shit nova one for a GSI one. THanks

ade
07-04-03, 11:15 AM
make sure you leave the centre nut in position.

Its a case of wiggle pull, level and wiggle more

I found a tyre iron wedged from the middle to the top and then middle to bottom helped.

Mine popped off no probs.

Others have tied rope on the top and bottom and wanked from through the boot!

Others have stuck knees behind it and yanked

Others have used a hammer!

Just keep wiggling it - it will come off - BUT LEAVE THE NUT IN PLACE on the end couple of threads (just slacken it off) other wise it will fly off and smack you in the head

Ade

novamark
07-04-03, 12:38 PM
i love the nova 1.2 steering wheels, they dont look like a steering wheel big enough for a bus......... MUCH!

Alex
07-04-03, 01:50 PM
WD40 :D

Chris LR
07-04-03, 03:41 PM
If you get to the stage where you don't care hpw it comes off.....

get a sledge hammer and smack the steering colum (you'll collapse the colum and need to replace it) but thats sure to work.

Dave
07-04-03, 04:09 PM
You need
a hammer
a bar of sone kind
ratchet
(think) a 22mm socket with extension

take off the horn cap thing
ease back nut retainers
unbolt the 22mm(think) bolt to near the end of the column so you don't bend back the splines on the column
place metal bar thing on end of column & hit bar hard with hammer this should judder the wheel out of its splines an bobs your mothers brother

mikeoxford
07-04-03, 07:24 PM
think im going to cut and paste the last thread of this and turn it into a how to guide on nova-land or write an article for over here!

how often does this come up?

look back 2 or 3 pages in tech section - youll find it once or more