PDA

View Full Version : Proving It Was This Car...

ianglanister
05-02-10, 08:45 PM
Well just took my mum shopping and when i come back i parked in front of my dads Celica SR and noticed a nice big hole in the bumper, now someone with a towbar has tried swinging their car around to park and ended up in my dads bumper. bice big tow bar hole, scuffed all along and cracked number plate. Worst part it they drove off. Now at the end of their road is a dance studio so hopefully will be able to find the car that did it. I was inspecting the damage on the car with my dad and there seemed to be no paint transfer from the vehicle however when i looked close, the number plate screw cover(white thing) had paint transfer on which was green(never been there before this) and with them cracking the bumper and the location it can only be that car. Now one thing im thinking about doing is taking the cap to my local paint mixer getting them to identify the colour and the code. then when the studio is open looking for cars in that colour and if it has a tow bar. if it does i want to measure the height of it and there should be a small scuff/scratch to the right of the tow bar where the paint has transfered onto my dads car. if this all measures up and it is the colour etc do you think that would be enough to prove they did it? anyone ever had anything like this? will try and get pictures of the damage tomorrow.

The bad thing is with it being a genuine SR model there was only ever 500 made. Well 250 Black(what my dads is) and 250 silver.

any ideas if that would hold up? as not all cars are the same height and it will obviously have the matching scuff marks

Cheers

mowgli
05-02-10, 08:49 PM
take close up photos & then put it thru the insurance.
and then report it to the police as a failure to stop or give details at the scene of an accident.....about 10 points i believe

nova-taken
05-02-10, 08:50 PM
maybe ian, but maybe not, you'd have to account for shock on the suspension, either car may have risen or dropped a bit on impact, so you may not get an accurate measurement, anyone nearby have cctv??

ianglanister
05-02-10, 08:53 PM
i can sort all the police stuff out thats what i do, but ive never had to prove one car hit another. would me taking pictures and all measurements of all damage and the towbar etc be enough for me to prove they did it? basically he does not want to go through his insurance but will if he has to. basically i want to find the driver question them about the damage and point out all the measurements etc and if they dont admit it i will tell them that it will go futher and there car will be needed for professional inspection

ianglanister
05-02-10, 08:54 PM
maybe ian, but maybe not, you'd have to account for shock on the suspension, either car may have risen or dropped a bit on impact, so you may not get an accurate measurement, anyone nearby have cctv??

The dance studio does have cctv pointing up the road but dont know if it will see the location of the car. i am going in tomorrow (they dont like me anyway as i had words with some of their customers when i was on duty for causing obstructions parking in the middle of the road) so should be interesting. just hope i can get it sorted for him

eightvalver
05-02-10, 09:01 PM
Nobody seen anything= No witnesses. Impossable to prove. Police won't prosecute as the evidence wont be enough alone, sadly.

ianglanister
05-02-10, 09:04 PM
Nobody seen anything= No witnesses. Impossable to prove. Police won't prosecute as the evidence wont be enough alone, sadly.

I appreciate your point, going to speed to a collegue in traffic for his ideas,if all else fails all i will do is try to worry them slightly and try to get them to admit it. see how we get on

Jack
05-02-10, 09:07 PM
Find the car then poo on the bonnet for damaging a Celica

Replacement rear bumper shouldn't be too expensive, black G6's are always being broken on CCUK.

ianglanister
05-02-10, 09:08 PM
its the front bumper will try and sort one if i cant sort anything else out. how easy are the fronts?

mowgli
05-02-10, 09:08 PM
ian are you a policeman or a community support type thing officer????

someone at the station would be able to help you out i would imagine...

its amazing what a uniformed officer can get someone to admit to, allegedly

ianglanister
05-02-10, 09:13 PM
Im a full policeman mate. but its trying to get hold of a traffic bobbie as normal bobbies wouldnt know if i would be able to prove it with that evidence so i need a traffic bobbie just wondered if anyone on here has done this before and it worked?

Jack
05-02-10, 09:21 PM
its the front bumper will try and sort one if i cant sort anything else out. how easy are the fronts?
From memory I think they're the same as the post-facelift bumper but with the mesh

ianglanister
05-02-10, 09:22 PM
cool thanks very much mate

mowgli
05-02-10, 09:22 PM
from some of the stories i've heard, you could probably get the driver arrested & charged for shergar's disappearance........

but then I reported a crime, found the stolen item, identified the culprit & was told that there was no proof... i pointed out that after it had took them 2 sodding months to go & look of course theres no sodding proof.. a kid up the road from me nicked my windscreen from my red nova one night & fitted it in his car...........

ianglanister
05-02-10, 09:27 PM
only thing i think could lock them up for is leaving the scene of accident but would only be able to hold them for questioning... would rather do that on the street before i identify myself ha ha

Jon_nova1
06-02-10, 09:22 AM
find your own witness if you know they did it

nova-taken
06-02-10, 11:10 AM
ian = copper whose into nova's???

they all HATE them with a passion where im at lol

Jon_nova1
06-02-10, 01:23 PM
They all love them with a passion where i am! when i got pulled in a nova they'd reminisce on what they had back in the day lol

ianglanister
06-02-10, 02:00 PM
Yeh i love them, really want another one tempted to sell my cav to get another there is a blue sri on ebay at the minute in manchester not far from me with no mot or tax its got a png sticker on the boot dont suppose its anyone on here?