PDA

View Full Version : What is.......

novaguy08
04-02-10, 08:06 PM
the stupidest/absent minded thing you have ever done and gotten away with it??

Something that if it went wrong then you'd be in trouble!

Ill start:

Drop tested a battery in college in the battery charge room.

we all know that car batteries let out hydrogen when charging and the drop tester I was using was crap & sparked like mad. Meaning if it went wrong would have caused a REALLY big bang in a small space.

So come on, what you guys done??

jakeufton
04-02-10, 08:16 PM
the stupidest thing i have ever done is played tig on a car garage roof, i mean a proper workshop not home garage, unfortuneatly i never got away with it and ended up falling through the skylight, 25ft down and landing on a metal bed that raises cars, had to have 13 stiches in my head, craked a joint in my back and snapped 3 of the 5 ligements holding your knee in place, 2 and a half years on and i still walk with a limp (no 50 cent pup intended) and still get nightmares of me dying that nite, so i suppose i did sort of get away with it, with my life...

Lee
04-02-10, 08:25 PM
Probably when I was wiring up a consumer unit at work a year or so ago about a story up on a ladder in a warehouse. I knew the feed wires coming into the unit were live, but didnt have a proper electrical screwdriver on me and coulnt be assed to climb down and get it (they have insulation all the way down the shaft), but I had a normal one.

I started to do up one of the terminals, and halfway through realised i was holding the bare metal shaft with my left hand because I wasn't concentrating!! By chance I had started with the neutral instead of the live. If I had picked the live terminal, seeing as I wasn't properly earthed, and the fact I was doing the feed wires, so there was no RCD protection, It would have blown me off the ladder and I would have fallen, probably to my death.

Think about that moment every time I do any electrical work now lol

KSRY
04-02-10, 08:33 PM
Probably when i was building my house, nearly finished the roof tiles and was late in the day, climbing up the ladder with 3 heavy roof tiles in my arm, just about at the top, miss the rung with my climbing hand, 'O dear', I can't believe I actually said it as I fell backwards off the ladder, fall 2 stories, bang, land on my ass, tiles land milliseconds after about a foot away, got up and walked away, didn't feel a single bit of pain

Jack
04-02-10, 09:31 PM
halfway through realised i was holding the bare shaft with my left hand because I wasn't concentrating!!
:wtf:

L14MNP
05-02-10, 11:09 AM
I like to think I reserved stupidity for my childhood years... I rode a pedal go-kart off a garage roof and broke my arm. lol

Mattman
05-02-10, 11:22 AM
In my younger days I stupidly decided to bypass the powercard unit that supplied the electricity to my flat with coaxial cable (the cable your tv reception comes through if you have a normal roof aerial). Basically I rammed the wire in one end of the meter and while getting the second end in the other side there was a huge bang, bright flash, electric shock through my whole body and I was thrown across the hall. Put the leccy out for my block of flats for a day but i didn't kill myself so all was good.

Bit scared of electricity nowadays tho.

poultergeist
05-02-10, 11:42 AM
In my younger days I stupidly decided to bypass the powercard unit that supplied the electricity to my flat with coaxial cable (the cable your tv reception comes through if you have a normal roof aerial). Basically I rammed the wire in one end of the meter and while getting the second end in the other side there was a huge bang, bright flash, electric shock through my whole body and I was thrown across the hall. Put the leccy out for my block of flats for a day but i didn't kill myself so all was good.

Bit scared of electricity nowadays tho.

Bloody pikey lol

poultergeist
05-02-10, 11:46 AM
Was wiring a panel up and was standing on top of it feeding in an SWA,one of the metal strands got caught on the way in causing it to seperate from the rest,and went straight through the main isolator!
Was a huge bang and a great big flash as I was flung across the room!!
Boss come over to see if I was ok,didnt have a mark on me!!

What I didnt realise is there was also a technician sitting in the panel with his laptop,he was a tad shocked to say the least as he was now just looking at a black void!!!

Was laughing about it till I got on the train home and thought '**** me,I could have actually died'!!!!

Jon_nova1
05-02-10, 12:51 PM
Probably when i opened a 500W computer power supply unit, it was turned off, but not realising the capacitors still had the charge, well luckily enough it only ended in a partially melted screwdriver

brainsnova
05-02-10, 01:11 PM
i plugged my nova headlight switch upside down and and the earth wire went like a fuse wire for a firework.

Mattman
05-02-10, 01:35 PM
Bloody pikey lol

lol :thumb:

poultergeist
05-02-10, 03:09 PM
i plugged my nova headlight switch upside down and and the earth wire went like a fuse wire for a firework.

lol

hc coupe
05-02-10, 05:35 PM
Me and a few mates went out on Ramble one Saturday ; I must have been about 15 as it was coming up to my GCSE's,.We took along a few beers and some puff , as you do .

I went on a few random stroll's with the lads, Called 'em "Bear hunts" IIRC .Was a messed up way of getting smashed out your face in some Blair witch style sh*t. The idea was manly to get lost, or find a bear... (we never did)

Anyway this one particular time we came across what we figured was a monastery. They had these massive Feng shui sway gardens which were all perfectly sweeped. Along one side there were at least 10 identical wheelbarrows lined up against a stone wall and evenly spaced inbertween we these wooden rakes.

After kicking for a short; slump'ed in a wheelbarrow , I went to pull another beer from the bag when I was startled by something behind me. I turn around to find this dude practically smelling my neck.

I was like "wtf" with the comical breaking voice you get at 15 . My mates all turn around and to see this hidden figure in a all-in-one orange suit with a hood that peaked over.

I get the f*ck out of there running down some hill clutching my beers in Spar bag .

Now you know in Jurassic park , They have that fence that's electrified and stands about 10ft high ...Same sh*t as that. My mate Dale (Complete nutter) said If we take a running jump up the fence and don't touch the ground at the same time as we hit the fence, we can climb up and hop off with out getting shocked..sounded simple

Dale went first and hopped on fine so I took a step back for little run up.

I fall face first into the bottom of this fence, My cheek is caught on some barb wire that was coiled around the the electrified up right.

My mate Dale then hop's off from the top of the fence and the Barb wire pull's through my cheek as it flciks back and forth.

My hands and face now stained with blood and my vision totally blurred by the drink, harsh red eyes and some tears , scale this fence sobbing like a girl while my mate was absolutely pissing himself at the state of me.

We walk through some woods to road and find a Petrol station. I'm cleaning face off in this Barbie doll sized sink when Dale gets a phone call from our other mates that we got split from.

Turns out it wasn't a monastery but scientology place where Tom cursie was staying.

Anyway the next day , Everyone of my mates (beside's me and dale) had been rounded up by some "Police Terror Squad" that had been roped in because tiddle **** Cruise was stayin there.

They were held for about 12 hours (maybe more) for being a suspected terrorist.

That was the last Bear hunt I went on...Needless to say , I'm gald I never got caught by the Police Or almost convinced to join this scientology clan like my Dumb ass friend Carl

(Luckly for him, his mother talked him out of it the next day)

Mike
05-02-10, 06:12 PM
Jesus christ, where do i start.

CoolTiger
05-02-10, 06:34 PM
got a driving license

novaguy08
05-02-10, 10:05 PM
wow............. didn't realize this would be so much fun & quite so popular!

L14MNP
05-02-10, 10:11 PM
Some good reads here. lol

bazil
05-02-10, 10:26 PM
I was stripping out the engine in a rotton old RS turbo I had, the point came to undo the fuel lines, no probs just done it my mate said from under the car, so rather than unbolting the engine mounts and gear box etc we got the sthill saw out and started cutting away!

The fuel lines had been cut under the car with half a tank of petrol leaking out under the car then WOOOF up it went when the sparked hit the fuel, stihll saw went flying hair was synged engine was toast, and this was inside my workshop.

Leason learned. Drain fuel properly before cutting s*it and it helps to have a fire extingusher too, and yeah new pants were required!

novaguy08
05-02-10, 10:30 PM
I was stripping out the engine in a rotton old RS turbo I had, the point came to undo the fuel lines, no probs just done it my mate said from under the car, so rather than unbolting the engine mounts and gear box etc we got the sthill saw out and started cutting away!

The fuel lines had been cut under the car with half a tank of petrol leaking out under the car then WOOOF up it went when the sparked hit the fuel, stihll saw went flying hair was synged engine was toast, and this was inside my workshop.

Leason learned. Drain fuel properly before cutting s*it and it helps to have a fire extingusher too, and yeah new pants were required!

s'ok, I lit up a ciggie halfway through very badly changing a fuel filter!! :thumb:

bazil
05-02-10, 10:38 PM
s'ok, I lit up a ciggie halfway through very badly changing a fuel filter!! :thumb:
That's one of those force of habbit moments when your brain ain't at 100%lol

novaguy08
05-02-10, 10:56 PM
That's one of those force of habbit moments when your brain ain't at 100%lol

Well that and I was VERY high on petrol fumes at the time lol