PDA

View Full Version : Chris Astley Motorsport - NO LONGER TRADING

The Simps
04-02-10, 11:59 AM
I'm sure a lot of you have read or seen various posts already but I can confirm that it is true. I'm sure there will be several people with money paid to Chris and no parts and all I can advise is that if you have paid by card or Paypal is to get onto them as soon as possible to see what can be done.

Knowing Chris personally this was the last thing he wanted. He has tried his hardest to avoid this including relocating to cheaper premises. I want people to realise that he is not a limited company he is a sole trader so he essentially loses everything not just the business. So when people start slagging him off about losing a few hundred quid bare it in mind.
I am gratefull for what Chris has done for the scene and it is a great shame to see such a business go under.

let_nova
04-02-10, 12:02 PM
shame it has come to this, he will have some stock left over though?? this could be sold and pay off the people he owes....

blue_peg_16v
04-02-10, 12:04 PM
think he has tried that there was an still is a forsale thread for stock silicon hoses at reduced prices

The Simps
04-02-10, 12:08 PM
shame it has come to this, he will have some stock left over though?? this could be sold and pay off the people he owes....

Not that simple.

If people had paid for parts that were in stock they would have been sent. Its items that needed ordering in where people will lose out. Any stock that remains will get sold by the liquidators and used to settle debts. Customers are always last in line.

brake-dust
04-02-10, 12:17 PM
real big shame, for those who dont know were he wasnt a limited company he could loose properties, cars, bikes etc depending on how big the debt was, they can take whatever they like to pay the debts

Southie
04-02-10, 12:18 PM
As you obviously know him Simps I thinks it's good of you to put this sort of information to light, but I don't think you should be having to justify his problems as it should be Chris explaining his issues. Good on you non the less though. :)

The Simps
04-02-10, 12:23 PM
As you obviously know him Simps I thinks it's good of you to put this sort of information to light, but I don't think you should be having to justify his problems as it should be Chris explaining his issues. Good on you non the less though. :)

I kno what you're saying but I don't think you will find Chris on any forums anytime soon mate. He's got far bigger things to worry about at the moment!

blue_peg_16v
04-02-10, 12:42 PM
to be fair i agree with simps keeping a roof over the familys head is the most important thing specialy with a baby on the way, im sure he feels for the customers but his life wont be fun at the moment

rubachuk
04-02-10, 12:51 PM
Sorry to hear this. Personally I've never had problems with him, although I've lived close to him to pick anything up I needed and he had. He bent over backwards the time I ordered and Ashley exhaust through him that was delivered as a Mk2, he got them to make a Mk1 specially and it arrived 2 days later.

From what I can gather, he hasn't always offered a poor service or he wouldn't have built the business to where it was well regarded. Times have been really hard for everyone recently and he's obviously been struggling for a while to keep things going.

For me he's been a great provider and this is a real, real shame.

Good luck to you Chris.

mowgli
04-02-10, 01:08 PM
unfortunately he has suffered from 'one man trying to do everything' syndrome.... my brother had it, and very nearly went under when a customer took him for a load of money..... thankfully, my brother got thru it. sole traders are open to a hell of a lot of problems in business, not least the governments whims....dodgy suppliers, customers who take the pi$$ out of you.. its tough.

maybe chris would be willing to do someone a deal on intellectual rights, ie: plans, specs, materials of performance components, suppliers etc

Connor
04-02-10, 01:11 PM
shame really, was such a respected name in the scene

Ste L
04-02-10, 02:05 PM
Posted on Corsasport : http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=541677

Stuart
04-02-10, 02:24 PM
folks keep this one on topic.

mayhem
04-02-10, 02:27 PM
damn you stuart:P i was just slagging off matt for his stupid comments, and when i wanted to post, i got the error screen :P

anyway, i hope this goes well, and sure as hell dont wish him to loose his house and wife.
he had good stuff at good prices, i just hope he can use his knowledge, and join another motorsports shop.

blue_peg_16v
04-02-10, 02:28 PM
so was i lol

Mike
04-02-10, 02:30 PM
TBH im quite gutted for him, i know how hard it is to set up an get recognised as a sole trader or even a small partnership company!! Real shame its had to end like that for him tho :(

sole traders are open to a hell of a lot of problems in business, not least the governments whims....dodgy suppliers, customers who take the pi$$ out of you.. its tough.

As you rightly say Mow, sole traders are susceptable to a lot crap :(

Jack
04-02-10, 02:48 PM
Simps, if you still have contact with Chris, would you be able to update us as to his progress throughout?

Lets leave this topic as related to the business and outstanding orders. People coming in with personal opinions about Chris and his business processes are not required here.

Thread stickied for the moment.

Pistol Pete
04-02-10, 05:01 PM
Real shame TBH. I never actually ever got round to ordering any parts form him, but was intending to.

Hope all works out for him and those who are waiting on parts.

AlanH
04-02-10, 05:32 PM
gutted, i ordered a mount off him last week. paid with paypal but needed the parts asap

deanwilko
04-02-10, 06:02 PM
orded parts of him in mid january still havnt arived looks like i will have to open a dispute through paypal

discoinferno
04-02-10, 06:24 PM
a great shame! everything i have ordered has been delivered usually in super quick time! a real shame he is a genuinely nice guy

The Simps
04-02-10, 06:28 PM
Simps, if you still have contact with Chris, would you be able to update us as to his progress throughout?

Quite simply Jack CAM is no more. Any outstanding orders are extremely unlikely to get filled or refunded unless you paid by credit card or paypal in which case I urge them people to contact them immediately. Chris will now have the fun task of the courts going through every penny to work out whats not left.

Crapper aswell is that what he can't clear then passes onto his wife.

For the people who have been thinking "why did he take my money last week when he knew he was going under" it wasn't like that. It literally all happened in a day.

mowgli
04-02-10, 06:34 PM
i guess the bank pulled the plug..... they do that a lot.

we had a 40 grand overdraught last year, they cut it to 20 with a small interest rate of 8% over base.....then zero.. it was hsbc & they didn't lose any money in the subprime thing.. so a business with a turnover of more than a million quid now has no overdraught facility.... then the pm goes on record that they are helping small businesses.....no they are helping small business (up to 250 workers) who are labour supporters(ie donors)

Royston
04-02-10, 06:41 PM
Great shame, bought the Piper Cam for the Sport From him, no problems, in fact a swift service.:thumb:

Shame things have gone this way:cry:

I hope he can get over this

turbo-boy
04-02-10, 06:58 PM
i knew i was right i had i post up yesterday thinking that he had gone bust.was he still taking poeples money even tho he knew he was going down the drain?as i had been waiting for over 3months for stuff i ordered i cant get it back from pay pal as there is a 2 months limit for refund.

Spudly
04-02-10, 07:00 PM
i knew i was right i had i post up yesterday thinking that he had gone bust.was he still taking poeples money even tho he knew he was going down the drain?as i had been waiting for over 3months for stuff i ordered i cant get it back from pay pal as there is a 2 months limit for refund.

For the people who have been thinking "why did he take my money last week when he knew he was going under" it wasn't like that. It literally all happened in a day.

Please read the above bud.

turbo-boy
04-02-10, 07:14 PM
sorry i just seen the first page and started typing

timbo1980
04-02-10, 07:36 PM
Shame i always recived parts quickly & were well made:cry:

ben doodar
04-02-10, 08:00 PM
Real shame that granted Some people had problems receiving parts on time etc but it's a shame as he was a good supplier of many usefull parts to the vauxhall scene. I only ever spoke to him once, he sounded like a very nice guy on the phone.
Is a great shame to c somebodys lively hood go down the pan.

Jon_nova1
04-02-10, 08:43 PM
Was about to say CAM is on facebook so queries could be forwarded to that, but it appears he's taken himself off admin and disassociated himself from it

alan b
04-02-10, 08:49 PM
unfortunate to hear. i had troubles with ordering stuff off him recently, and when i eventually got thru to him he refunded me and told me his suppliers were letting him down as when he moves premised they wanted to charge more for couriers etc. its a bit of a balls as he sold alot of things nowhere else does.

Stuart
04-02-10, 09:57 PM
imho, given that 'bad' reports are 'banned' I'd like to say that the praise is also banned as its rubbing salt into the wounds of those who have lost out.

taylor 2008
04-02-10, 10:09 PM
fully gutted as herd so many good thing's about this lad and only done my first order 3 week's ago :-( is there any chance of getting the funds back how would i go about doing this?? any body help us out please?

Dod
04-02-10, 10:45 PM
Unfortunately we've got quite a few users on TotalOpel that have money paid for a long time and have had nothing but excuses.

Jack
04-02-10, 10:48 PM
fully gutted as herd so many good thing's about this lad and only done my first order 3 week's ago :-( is there any chance of getting the funds back how would i go about doing this?? any body help us out please?
As per previous replies in the thread; if you paid via credit card or Paypal, you may be able to claim your funds back through their support channels.

mr5050
05-02-10, 08:10 PM
so....gap in the market?, or no market (possibly why he went under)?

Nova_Tek
05-02-10, 08:18 PM
Such a shame to hear this, after that big thread about it, it seemed that things were going to be sorted out. Just a shame that a big name has gone.

At least I didn't rush into getting some bits.

All the best to Chris at this time.

Dirtydog1
05-02-10, 09:48 PM
real shame, he had a good thing going.
he said he had tonnes of business not long ago in the thread i opened,he said he was sourcing products from other companies thats why there was such a huge delay.....

well, good luck to him sorting things out. i dont think anyone was slagging the guy off, we were all just pissed off with him telling lies about were our goods are. no we know the truth. :(

The Simps
05-02-10, 10:01 PM
well, good luck to him sorting things out. i dont think anyone was slagging the guy off, we were all just pissed off with him telling lies about were our goods are. no we know the truth. :(

So threads saying he's useless, offers poor service & I'd never use him again aren't slagging him off???

Dirtydog1
05-02-10, 10:16 PM
if you buy something from a shop and if it doesn't show up in 3 months with not even a call etc, then in theory they are 'useless with poor service and i wouldn't use them again!'.......would you????

we didn't know he was going bust, he said he had work coming out of his ears in the other thread. he even lied to people and said the parts are on their way.

at the end of the day, nice guy or not he had a business. businesses work generally by selling products to people at a profit, people actually expect to receive the goods they have paid for, not a bag of excuses.

no sob story will change that fact!
believe it or not i do feel for the guy, its never nice hearing about someone losing their business, especially not one so useful as CAM! for that iam sorry.

Stuart
05-02-10, 10:17 PM
Dont take this the wrong way Simps, but do you honestly really want to appear to be the sole portal of contact/new for CA...... I think you are opening yourself up for a world of headache on that front. I know if I was in your shoes I would have stated the gone under news and left it at that as some folks might see you as a portal for money.

C2VXL
05-02-10, 10:31 PM
It's maybe an idea that you lock the thread. Can only see this getting ugly.

Derick-Sport
05-02-10, 11:13 PM
end of an era

The Simps
05-02-10, 11:24 PM
if you buy something from a shop and if it doesn't show up in 3 months with not even a call etc, then in theory they are 'useless with poor service and i wouldn't use them again!'.......would you????

we didn't know he was going bust, he said he had work coming out of his ears in the other thread. he even lied to people and said the parts are on their way.

at the end of the day, nice guy or not he had a business. businesses work generally by selling products to people at a profit, people actually expect to receive the goods they have paid for, not a bag of excuses.

no sob story will change that fact!
believe it or not i do feel for the guy, its never nice hearing about someone losing their business, especially not one so useful as CAM! for that iam sorry.

I'm not in anyway saying that how Chris conducted business towards the end was acceptable. I completely understand the comments people hae made over mny posts on several forums! It just got me when you said "I don't think anyone was slaggin him off."

The Simps
05-02-10, 11:33 PM
Dont take this the wrong way Simps, but do you honestly really want to appear to be the sole portal of contact/new for CA...... I think you are opening yourself up for a world of headache on that front. I know if I was in your shoes I would have stated the gone under news and left it at that as some folks might see you as a portal for money.

I've only actually met Chris twice, maybe 3 times believe it or not over the years. I was a customer like anybody else and he also became a friend as a result of business. I like to see people do well in the world and if I can help them i do. Thats why I directed a lot of business Chris' way over the years. When I see a thread pop up I give him a heads up to have a look to help him out AND the people on the thread. Who do you think pointed him to the last thread he replied to?!

When the post went up the other day I called him to check the score and thats when he told me. As you appreciate he's got a lot on his plate right now so I offered to let people know on forums so people could contact credit card companies, paypal etc. Also on here & MIG I've been around long enough that people would take the post seriously if that makes sense.

Reference being a portal for Chris I'm just being a mate and supporting him. I won't be passing any messages on or anything like that. A lot of people have been in contact as friends wanting to speak with him so I've just let him know. And if people really think I'm involved in the business and expect a refund or something they are sadly mistaken! I AM IN NO WAY AFFILIATED WITH CAM.

I hope people don't think from my posts that I don't feel sorry for the people that have lost money - as I do!

The Simps
05-02-10, 11:34 PM
It's maybe an idea that you lock the thread. Can only see this getting ugly.

Probably a good idea mods. Maybe make it a sticky for a while so peeps see it?

Ben
05-02-10, 11:44 PM
Probably a good idea mods. Maybe make it a sticky for a while so peeps see it?

If they lock this one another will open straight up, better off letting the disgruntled somewhere to vent there frustration. They have lost out too.

The Simps
05-02-10, 11:49 PM
Sure. Well my involvement in this thread ends here.

Andy
06-02-10, 10:34 AM
Crap to see anyone losing their business,i know how it feels myself.

Jack
06-02-10, 03:09 PM
This thread remains for people who have outstanding orders to offer updates/information (e.g. successful or unsuccessful paypal/credit card reimbursements). Irrelevant replies will be cleared out.

Jakey
08-02-10, 03:27 PM
Has anybody got a phone number to get in touch about parts not arriving and getting a refund? His websites been closed as such.

MK999
08-02-10, 03:32 PM
There is no such thing, the business is gone, kaput, no longer trading, there is no money to refund you with, if you paid by card or paypal contact them, if not you're out of luck I'm afraid.

Jakey
08-02-10, 03:42 PM
Cheers Jack. I've opened a dispute through Paypal for now. I might try the phone number you have posted.

Jakey
08-02-10, 03:59 PM
Dispute opened and escalated straight away. Paypal say funds will be back with me within 10 days.

Rich
08-02-10, 08:12 PM
Paul Roose at roosemotorsport also confirmed to me that chris astley is no longer trading as he used to sell roose hoses.

SR-Rally
11-02-10, 05:09 PM
Real shame to hear.

The banks claim to be helping small business's but there not. even though their greed got the country into dept. We had extreme weather begining of January (-15) and as a result over 30 burst pipes even though they were all lagged. Had to shut the store for just over a week as electrics etc so asked the bank for an extra 10grand on the overdraft as cash flow would be tight. But the short fat bloke we spoke to (bank manager is I'll iirc) denied it. Luckily some big contract jobs completed and paid up which tied us over. Or a fully booked and busy business could have been in a very sticky situation. Sorry rant over :)

The Simps
11-02-10, 05:51 PM
Real shame to hear.

The banks claim to be helping small business's but there not. even though their greed got the country into dept. We had extreme weather begining of January (-15) and as a result over 30 burst pipes even though they were all lagged. Had to shut the store for just over a week as electrics etc so asked the bank for an extra 10grand on the overdraft as cash flow would be tight. But the short fat bloke we spoke to (bank manager is I'll iirc) denied it. Luckily some big contract jobs completed and paid up which tied us over. Or a fully booked and busy business could have been in a very sticky situation. Sorry rant over :)

You need to get better business insurance mate. Most policies you can insure lost earning through certain perils.

I completely agree with your point tho about banks not doing enough.

mowgli
11-02-10, 05:53 PM
loss of earnings insurance has soo many fiery hoops to jump thru that a claim is harder than just trying to soldier on

Mike
11-02-10, 06:06 PM
loss of earnings insurance has soo many fiery hoops to jump thru that a claim is harder than just trying to soldier on

True!

And *if* your claim is a sucess, by the time it pays out, your either completly up shÃ*t creek where no amount of money will bail you OR youve come out truimphant.

SR-Rally
11-02-10, 06:40 PM
We have loss of earnings and good cover but as the content insurance claim is over 30grand they are dragging their heels on paying out. Insurance companys are a pain to deal with and take up so much time and effort. Been working late most nights sorting things out :( although the building insurance through a local broker have been really good and should be sorted soon. When we get the money it will be brilliant but the problem is surviving the weeks, months befor the pay out :) but we'l be fine.

As you said mike, it's lasting till the pay out :)

Spudly
11-02-10, 06:55 PM
Lets leave this topic as related to the business and outstanding orders. People coming in with personal opinions about Chris and his business processes are not required here.

SR-Rally
11-02-10, 07:00 PM
My bad. Sorry

The Simps
11-02-10, 07:13 PM
Na, my bad.

Leeboo
12-02-10, 02:33 PM
Thats a shame. In some ways.

I've been waiting on mounts since before christmas, the cars almost out of mot and still has no engine.

Where else does just the 2.0 conversion mounts?

Jack
12-02-10, 02:38 PM
You can still purchase them on ebay from a trader called "vauxhallpartsuk"

Southie
12-02-10, 02:38 PM
Thats a shame. In some ways.

I've been waiting on mounts since before christmas, the cars almost out of mot and still has no engine.

Where else does just the 2.0 conversion mounts?
I think LMF do them.... goes off to check.

They do them as a full conversion kit CLICKY (http://www.lmfvauxhall.co.uk/store/search.php?mode=search&page=1) so maybe best to give the a call to see if they sell separate.

kempy
13-02-10, 03:21 PM
ahhh what a shame, iv been waiting for a 'chassis plate strengthening kit' since nov 09. Was really looking forward to getting it, the plates looked beautiful made. Does any one have any suggestions as to where i can get another similar kit??

>Good luck to chris, sounds like he's a real nice fella.

SR-Rally
13-02-10, 03:40 PM
Harry hockley is where I'd get plating kit from mate

Nova_Tek
13-02-10, 07:17 PM
Agreed. If the Nova will be driven on the road then the HH Fast road kit costs half the price for the full kit and does the job. SR-Rally can vouch for that as he asked in person.

novacabrio
14-02-10, 04:04 PM
Is it me or does this not look like Chris clearing out some stuff on ebay?

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/ClearanceStoreDirect__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Its the same type of stuff he used to sell with a new name?

Stuart
14-02-10, 04:11 PM
mmm looks nice and dodgy... mind you its not uncommon for a private entity to 'go bust' and be purchased by a new company that is owned by the same person.

Not saying thats whats happened, but its nothing new.

novacabrio
14-02-10, 04:12 PM
mmm looks nice and dodgy... mind you its not uncommon for a private entity to 'go bust' and be purchased by a new company that is owned by the same person.

Not saying thats whats happened, but its nothing new.

It would ring alarm bells to me

djbrowney
14-02-10, 04:16 PM
defo him !

Iain
14-02-10, 04:22 PM
Is it me or does this not look like Chris clearing out some stuff on ebay?

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/ClearanceStoreDirect__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Its the same type of stuff he used to sell with a new name?

Item location: Bargain City, United Kingdom lol

mowgli
14-02-10, 04:26 PM
Item location: Bargain City, United Kingdom lol

its in poundland i believe

MK999
14-02-10, 05:07 PM
Would that not be some sort of debt collecting/repo auction type place, hence the name?

Mike
14-02-10, 05:26 PM
Would that not be some sort of debt collecting/repo auction type place, hence the name?

Personally, due to the small amount of parts on offer, i reckon its miscellaneous stock found at home/garage/shed etc etc last ditch attempt to make some quick dollarz kinda thing.

Edd
14-02-10, 05:38 PM
Wonder if he will use the money from the sales of this stuff to pay back what he owes people for past orders ?

Doubt it.

Mike
14-02-10, 05:46 PM
Wonder if he will use the money from the sales of this stuff to pay back what he owes people for past orders ?

Doubt it.

Unfortunatly in circumstances like these, the punters come last. The suppliers will be first & foremost along with any debtors (company loans etc)

Jack
14-02-10, 06:52 PM
I did think it would be a debt agency selling off his remaining stock to recoup some money to pay his debts. However, <30 days on ebay, and location listed (in some items) as Chorley, Lancashire - is that not where CAM was based before his move to St Columb?

mayhem
14-02-10, 07:12 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/C20XE-C20LET-Top-hat-Power-Cap-Genuine-Gasket_W0QQitemZ280464960524QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item414d03ac0c

WTF, it's 0.90 eurocent at the dealer (1.25 euro without discount)

mad-driver
17-02-10, 05:44 PM
You can still purchase them on ebay from a trader called "vauxhallpartsuk"
Jack, that's one of LMF's ebay shops.

I wonder whether Chris Astley actually did move down to Cornwall, as the postcode for that seller is the same as his...:roll:

Leeboo
07-03-10, 05:03 PM
Sorry to bring this up again but its stickied anyway!

I made an order from Chris Astley at the start of december and obviously never recieved it, I went into my paypal there to see if I could claim the money back, but its not showing up on my transaction history. I just bought the items straight off his website, tbh I can't remember what way it worked.

I do however have the confirmation emails etc, is there any way that I can get my money back?

Edit - Obviously I know I can't get the money off Chris Astley himself.

MK999
07-03-10, 06:00 PM
change your transaction history to show transactions older than 30 days? it only shows recent by default

Leeboo
07-03-10, 06:13 PM
change your transaction history to show transactions older than 30 days? it only shows recent by default

I know I done that but theres no record of it at all.

MK999
07-03-10, 06:26 PM
I know I done that but theres no record of it at all.

Sure you paid with paypal and not a card or something? :confused: I've never 'lost' a transaction

Leeboo
07-03-10, 06:31 PM
Sure you paid with paypal and not a card or something? :confused: I've never 'lost' a transaction

Mmmmmm as I was saying above I can't remember what way the payment worked, I guess if I just paid by card I have no way of getting my money back?

Nova_Tek
07-03-10, 06:37 PM
You'd have to read your T's & C's on your card. Depending on what card you have some maybe able to offer something. Contact your bank and they should be able to advise. If it was paid by PayPal then it should deffo be on your account.

MK999
07-03-10, 06:39 PM
I wouldn't bother trying to decipher the legal jargon t&c's, just go into your bank and explain, probably be easier and 4 hours less work! lol

Nova_Tek
07-03-10, 06:42 PM
^ lol True! Ever tried reading that shizzle? Jeees!

MK999
07-03-10, 06:44 PM
^ lol True! Every tired reading that shizzle? Jeees!

Yep, tried it when I got a student credit card with halifax, I gave up in the end and just scanned over it for the phrase "and we own your house" I still dunno when/if/how I pay interest on it, I just pay it asap if I have to use it lol

Nova_Tek
07-03-10, 06:48 PM
lol

turnipheed
07-03-10, 08:33 PM
real shame for the guy im building a nova at mo and have been trying to get parts from him but could not get in touch, it was my mate who recomended him not only for price but free advice was only a call away

lukehamlyn
27-03-10, 12:46 AM
i relly need a chassis plating kit have you got one ??

pikey1986
27-03-10, 07:00 AM
he is 'NO LONGER TRADING'

please pay attention to the thread title

Huffy
06-04-10, 10:24 PM
Its a real shame to be fair Ive bought a good few parts off Chris and never once had any bother Ive also rang him and spoken to him on facebook for info he seems a sound guy and i think its a shame for it to end like this for him

mad-driver
17-06-10, 10:50 AM
Hmm, i think he's back...

User pinkshop1 on ebay is located in Chorley, where he used to be, and has all sorts of conversion parts, with the same images as when he had his clearanceshop2010 account!

He isn't registered as a business seller either...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nova-2-0-16v-C20XE-C20LET-engine-conversion-mount-NEW-/320540751598?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4aa1b7b6ee

bazil
17-06-10, 11:01 AM
I bought an F28 nova gearbox mount from this seller 2 weeks ago, received it in 5 days,

wwmnw
17-06-10, 11:28 AM
Undoubtedly he will come back under a new name, alot of company's do. Lets hope he's hired help this time.

bazil
17-06-10, 11:29 AM
Yeah but that sellers name is "" the pink shop "" lol
perfect for png then......

mad-driver
18-06-10, 05:22 PM
What i'm saying is he is registered as private seller, which means he doesn't have to accept returns unlike proper business sellers, so be careful