PDA

View Full Version : No high beam

Rickyb
03-02-10, 09:47 AM
as above really my mk2 hasnt got a high beam ive changed the bulbs checked the fuses even had a quick twiddle around with the stalk but no joy.
Its really weird though because if you have your head lights on and flash nothing happens but if you flick the stalk forward the head lamps go off all together:confused:
Any ideas??
+rep for helpers.
rick

mowgli
03-02-10, 11:43 AM
knackered switch or bad earth at the lights? or maybe the light relay

Jack
03-02-10, 01:07 PM
Its really weird though because if you have your head lights on and flash nothing happens but if you flick the stalk forward the head lamps go off all together:confused:
Thats normal, on H4s the dipped beam element is supposed to turn off when main beam is engaged permanently.

MK999
03-02-10, 01:18 PM
Thats normal, on H4s the dipped beam element is supposed to turn off when main beam is engaged permanently.

which is why i used to just "flash" for extended periods instead of using the main beam, because illuminating the trees in the distance is great and all, but I like to see the road too lol

Jack
03-02-10, 02:24 PM
If the beam is properly aligned, you should be able to see the road in front as well? Holding them on dual filament runs the risk of over heating the bulb

MK999
03-02-10, 02:40 PM
who knows, any modern cars I had in front of me always seemed to light up the road a lot better, but they might have multiple bulbs, I never blew one though, it was just a bit of a pain holding it down lol

Rickyb
03-02-10, 09:02 PM
i will swap the stalk tomorow and go from there cheers for the advice people.
*edit* +rep added but jack i owe you rep as i must spread the rep.

Rickyb
03-02-10, 09:28 PM
anybody know which relay is the light one?
ive been and got the relays out of my spare fuse box and got my spare stalks ready for trying them tomorow

Guderian
04-02-10, 01:08 PM
Almost certainly the switch has overheated and melted inside.

I don't believe these cars have a relay allocated to the headlights. All the current goes through the switch. You can remedy this by putting in relays of your own though; then the switch will last forever.

i seem to recall the stalk is awkward to remove cos one of the cowlings fouls on the wheel. With the steering wheel off it is simple though.

Jack
04-02-10, 05:05 PM
Fuse 2 and 3 are the associated fuses. There's no relay for high beam (dim/dip and day running relays shouldn't interfere with high beam), thats controlled by the stalk so my guess is thats gone kaput. Assuming both bulbs still have main beam filament intact

Rickyb
04-02-10, 08:41 PM
as you all sed it was the stalk thanx alot for all your helps :D