PDA

View Full Version : Vic check?

John
02-02-10, 10:09 PM
When you've applied for one of these, how long does it generally take to come through? Could i take it for one on a sat?

:thumb:

Ben
02-02-10, 10:48 PM
If you go to your local center and book then and there possibly, if you send oiff to dvkla expect 6-8 weeks.

mowgli
02-02-10, 10:51 PM
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Dl1/Directories/DG_10011278

give them a ring, i've always got on well with the crowd in derby test station

John
02-02-10, 10:53 PM
supplement charged on a sat = ****ers!

Ben
02-02-10, 10:54 PM
I always used to go down with forms filled in and cash and get appt within 72 hours.

mowgli
02-02-10, 10:56 PM
supplement charged on a sat = ****ers!

vosa stick a charge on everything for saturdays

John
03-02-10, 06:15 PM
The car still has tax and test, i take it i'm ok to drive it around until i get the check done? Was only written off for a wing and front bumper.

Hobbit
03-02-10, 07:02 PM
has to have insurance and mot to drive it there. Took 3/4 months for a mate to get a log book back though :(

John
03-02-10, 07:05 PM
has to have insurance and mot to drive it there. Took 3/4 months for a mate to get a log book back though :(

No too bothered about that tbf. The car is still currently taxed and tested. Once i've fitted the wing i want to be able to use the car everyday. I take it i can do that once it's insured? Ie before it goes fot it's vic check?

Ben
03-02-10, 11:28 PM
you can tax straight after a vic at local dvla and if its taxed mot'd its legal to drive now.

John
04-02-10, 06:09 PM
you can tax straight after a vic at local dvla and if its taxed mot'd its legal to drive now.

How about before it goes for vic, if i have tax, test and insurance can i drive it?

George g
04-02-10, 08:04 PM
Is it defo a cat c? Cat d write offs do not need a Vic check.

I only ask as my car was written off for a wing and bumper and was a cat d, its usually structural repairs that are cat c...

John
04-02-10, 08:50 PM
Yeah deffo cat c, rear axle bent and one wing damaged.

Ben
04-02-10, 11:26 PM
amount of damage has no bearing on catergory, just ring the freephone number and give them the reg.

George g
04-02-10, 11:37 PM
amount of damage has no bearing on catergory, just ring the freephone number and give them the reg.

how do they decide? surely a Cat C must be deemed more dangerous as they need the VIC check? or is it purely how the inspector is feeling on the day?

im not arguing as such, just genuinely interested! :thumb:

Ben
05-02-10, 09:14 AM
There are a few threads on here when i have gone into real depth but basically..

The cars when written off get auctioned off mostly so if they have a £50k BMW it would be worth considerably more as a CAT D rather than a CAT C as for the CAT C it requires a VIC check and will show on the logbook whereas a CAT D requires no check and will not show on the logbook so most traders will buy ans sale cat d's easier than the C's. so a l reg corsa which is an attempted theft which the insurers value at nothing will get stuck on a c even though the cost of repair is a fraction of the cost of repair on a more expensive car.