PDA

View Full Version : 14nv pierburg carb no idle??

Nobby
02-02-10, 07:41 PM
as aboge fitted a 1400 engine to me brothers 1.0 now ehen we first fired her up it was fine idling and reving clean, now tonight we have just tided up the wiring and fitted the throttle cable, now it wont idle and just cuts striaght out of you let off the gas? any ideas as it was fine??

John
02-02-10, 08:33 PM
You put 12v to the coil? (1.0's have lower coil voltage)

Nobby
02-02-10, 09:44 PM
yeah mate got a fresh ignition live, it was idling fine last night just started paying up all of a sudden?

jimbob-mcgrew
02-02-10, 11:14 PM
it runs with the throttle on right ?

check the throttle cable adjustment if you havent allready.
the 2e's got a dirty auto choke that will want looking at most likely.

Nobby
02-02-10, 11:21 PM
yeah mate it revs clean to be fair just as soon as let off it dies? can the aut choke be took off?

Southie
02-02-10, 11:30 PM
Have you got a good contact to the coil where it's screwed into the wing, mine used to be tempremental.

Also what colour are your plugs going and is the timing all okay on the dizzy end?

Bike Carbs FTW ;)

Nobby
02-02-10, 11:34 PM
what do you mean about the coil? into the wing??

Southie
02-02-10, 11:36 PM
what do you mean about the coil? into the wing??
On mine the coil had a bracket around it which was bolted into the wing just behind the passenger headlight.

Nobby
02-02-10, 11:38 PM
dno mate on this one we unbolted the 1.0 coil and bolted the 1.4 1 in its place?

Southie
02-02-10, 11:42 PM
There in the same place.

Did you check the plugs at all, at least you'll be able to tell if it's over fuelling.

Edit: oops pasted by accident.

Nobby
02-02-10, 11:51 PM
There in the same place.

Did you check the plugs at all, at least you'll be able to tell if it's over fuelling.

Edit: oops pasted by accident.

na mate will do tommorow was going to pull the carb apart?

jimbob-mcgrew
02-02-10, 11:53 PM
yeah mate it revs clean to be fair just as soon as let off it dies? can the aut choke be took off?
check the throttle cables adjusted up enough, if no luck move onto the choke.

wouldnt advise taking it off, it will stick on ever so slightly without pressure on the lever arm that controls the choke (the internal springs attached to that arm).

theres 3 screws on the outside casing, u can take it off and inspect inside to see how it works, the setting of the choke can be adjusted by loosening the screws and rotating left and right like a distributor. note the fitting of the spring if u take it off, theres a loop/hole in the spring that slots over the lever arm thing. anti-clockwise will lessen the choke, clockwise will increase it, it flicks back in 3/4 stages as the engines coolant heats up and warms the spring. before u do anything id advise marking the outside casing with a chisel or marker pen, so you know whats its original setting was, it might have a mark allready if your lucky. oh and be carefull adjusting it when the engines upto temp, as its easy to burn yourself on it, it gets " bl00dy 0t! "

Southie
02-02-10, 11:56 PM
Well check the plugs then get some carb clean or even some redex to give it a flush out. Don't go mental and put the full bottle in though. I did once on a 1 litre "was 17 though" massive plooms of smoke and an utter shiite then leaked oil from the rocker lol

jimbob-mcgrew
02-02-10, 11:58 PM
i forgot something important, before you do any of that, make sure all the carbs throttle/choke linkages and any moving parts on it are lubricated enough and mooving freely, might be a simple case of somethings sticking :thumb:

Nobby
03-02-10, 12:03 AM
]riiight :S lol
also when i was mesing with the carb the little black clip came off the side as it points to in the of this pic i do have it but its nearley in half super glue ftw!
will this cause a problem? not not my pics its off a vw site
http://i45.tinypic.com/2v309xf.jpg

jimbob-mcgrew
04-02-10, 02:22 AM
u might need that bit of plastic, not sure if its just a cover or part of the clip.

u see in the pic, about 2 inches down from the spring, theres a faded white cap covering a bolt end. thats the choke adjustment screw. i have to admit i never fiddled with mine, i adjusted it all on the spring side by rotating the casing.

with the engine off, if u move the throttle linkage open with one hand, u can then manually move the choke linkage about with the other, see what happens to the choke flap, it might be stuck in a funny position, i had to play around with mine a fair bit to find a medium that worked.

make sure nothings seized up either, carb cleaner all the linkages whilst moving them to free them up fully. :thumb: