PDA

View Full Version : fan belt probs, urgent help needed!

TUBZGSXR
05-04-03, 06:29 PM
i was drivin home last night and the battery warinn thing lit up :( thought it might be a fuse gone or sumthin, but no such luck, lights started to dim , then fade totally, and then couldnt accelerate at all even with foot to floor, engine jsut slowly got lower and lower, mananged to roll into layby, and phoned mum :oops: to cum and get me with jump leads, mannaged top get it goin again by removin all ice from battery (ie amp etc..) but had to jump start a futher 5 times on the way home as it just kept diein totally, cheked battery in mornin after chargin it over night, totally dead! got a new one 2day, calcium heavy duty just to be sure, opened up bonnet to put new battery in, and then saw that i didnt have a fan belt! im pretty sure its missin (if u look at engine there should be a rubber belt on the left hand side that is wrapped round fly wheel and that other smaller thing at the top yea??) well thats not there anymore! so ive tryed to get the spare one on but its a mission, just seems to small! anyways put new battery in car, started fine, but battery warnin light was still on! is that because of the absence of the fan belt? anyone know wots wrong?

mark_GSi
05-04-03, 06:54 PM
yea m8ty

that light is on because your batt ant charging because u havent got a fan belt on

they are adjustable just undo the bolts holding it on and it will fall back (altanator) put the fan belt on on push it up till u get tension and it will be ok.

without a fan belt it will not charge and go flat all the time

hope this help

mark

Nova-Boy
05-04-03, 06:57 PM
The belt that is missing sounds like the belt from your engine to alternator. As your driving along the engine turns over turning you alternator which charges your battery. If that belt is the one thats gone then the alternator wont be generating any power to charge your battery so your new one will soon go flat!! The light is on because the alternator isn't charging.

To put your new one on slacken your alternator on the sliding bracket and put your belt on then tighten the alternator back up to the right tension. If it is your alternator thats gonbe then give me a shout i have a spare one.

Nova-Boy
05-04-03, 07:01 PM
:oops: must have taken me longer than i thought to type that! Thanks Mark, Slow down with the typing please!

mark_GSi
06-04-03, 09:05 AM
LOL

ok nova-boy :wink:

TUBZGSXR
06-04-03, 10:23 AM
cheers guys il fit it 2day, :)

mikeoxford
06-04-03, 11:28 PM
cheers guys il fit it 2day, :)
let us know if you need any help :lol: its a tedious task afterall