PDA

View Full Version : fibreglass doors for 3door nova!?

chrisnovaturbo
01-02-10, 10:35 PM
anyone got fibreglass doors or no were i can get some? pm me :thumb:

let_nova
01-02-10, 10:48 PM
i was looking for these a while ago. the guy that was making the kits in trader section said he was trying to do them but i never heard again!

novarally
02-02-10, 08:38 AM
anyone got fibreglass doors or no were i can get some? pm me :thumb:

Almost impossible to find now, I used to have a man who made them for me, but he got ill and stopped working.

The moulds were sold on, and although I tracked down the person who had them, he stopped replying to e-mails.

16xe_chris
02-02-10, 08:46 AM
would there still be much call for this?? as a good friend of mine is on about setting himself up and i have asked him for some doors to be made. He's a bloody genious with fiberglass lol

Mark
02-02-10, 08:59 AM
would there still be much call for this?? as a good friend of mine is on about setting himself up and i have asked him for some doors to be made. He's a bloody genious with fiberglass lol

Yes

novarally
02-02-10, 10:23 AM

From personal experience with fibreglass and carbon fibre doors, I wouldn't bother.

They nearly always fit badly, and at anything over about 70mph they tend to get forced away from the shell by wind pressure.

Unless you make them very rigid indeed you will have problems, and the more strengthening you add in the more you negate the weight saving.

The process of moulding a door is also more involved, as it has to be made in 2 pieces and then bonded together.

Getting the moulds made in the first place will be VERY expensive.

I'd stick with steel frames and re-skin in fibreglass or alloy sheet (as has been done on my Nova sprint car).

djbrowney
02-02-10, 06:18 PM
^ its not very expensive to make the moulds it would cost £100 at the most to make a good set, fg companys rattle my cage sometime's the products costs peanuts yet they seem to charge a fortune for the time. much like a car dealership imo

MK999
02-02-10, 06:20 PM
www.grpracing.co.uk appear to sell them, I can't get the page to load on google chrome, but it works fine on IE

chrisnovaturbo
02-02-10, 09:56 PM
hmmmm

novarally
02-02-10, 10:06 PM
www.grpracing.co.uk (http://www.grpracing.co.uk) appear to sell them, I can't get the page to load on google chrome, but it works fine on IE

Never heard of them before, but their prices are very cheap. If anyone buys anything, please post up on how good they are, and how well they fit.

And if anyone is buying doors, check on whether they come with the hinges pre-fitted, because it's a horrible job fitting your own.

djbrowney
02-02-10, 10:15 PM
what he said lol ^

who is gonna spend the wonga first lol

MK999
02-02-10, 11:06 PM
Never heard of them before, but their prices are very cheap. If anyone buys anything, please post up on how good they are, and how well they fit.

And if anyone is buying doors, check on whether they come with the hinges pre-fitted, because it's a horrible job fitting your own.

Came up in a thread a while ago, the pieces they have on display look ok, but it all comes down to how well they fit really.

16xe_chris
03-02-10, 09:08 AM
I'll buy some doors off them after this rally to see how well they fit and if they are not too good i'll get my mate to mold them and sort them out lol

L14MNP
03-02-10, 08:56 PM
These used to list doors http://www.creativ-car-design.de/index.php?page=opel-a-corsa
Maybe they still do, I haven't looked past that page.