PDA

View Full Version : My old engine!

nova---chris
05-04-03, 03:26 PM
Just a few old pics i managed to find of the old 2L 8V i used to have.
Ran webber 45s/polished ported head/f16 cr box

http://www.chrisuk22.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/christ1.jpg

http://www.chrisuk22.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/christ2.jpg

jatinder
05-04-03, 07:35 PM
did u sell it?

mikeoxford
06-04-03, 04:00 AM
how much BHP was that producing?

i want to fit a 2ltr 8v in mine, we fitted it straight from the cav in my mates car, and its an SRi engine if that made a diffrence, but i think its well quick.

would running webers increase BHP much? or did you do it to keep it carb not injection?

nova---chris
07-04-03, 11:32 AM
The engine was the sri 130 seh engine.
Wih the webbers on i think it was pushing around 120 @wheels.
So around 140 @ fly. maybe a little more

It was never roaded with the head on as soon after the engine atarted to die. Probably 150ish then. as i hear the head helps alot on these engines.

was quite nippy. but a valvers always gonna get ya midrange.

Hence the 16 valve lump.

Jim
07-04-03, 01:51 PM
I think this is evidence enough to those that are wanting to fit a 2.0l 8v that its more hassle than it's worth. Ok, you have the torque, but you can achieve that sort of power from a 1.4 on twin webbers with other mods. You will have less weight in the front, so it will handle better (and I don't care what people with bigger engines say, you ask those that have driven smaller engined Novas and then larger engined Novas and they will tell you there is a difference in the handling). The car will be cheaper to insure as it's only a 1.4. Plus, you get more respect keeping up with bigger cars in a smaller engined car :)

Jim

jatinder
07-04-03, 02:12 PM
yep thats why im getting 1.6 16 v in the summer :D

nova---chris
07-04-03, 02:26 PM
I agree jim but then i work on the asumption theres no substitute for litres(cc)
Pushing a smaller engine to 160bhp can be done. we know that.

But how much strain would say 180bhp put on a small block engine compared to say a valver ? Im not saying the smaller block couldnt live with the power.

180bhp is obtainablle by say carbs and a bit of headwork.
Now wot work does it take to get a smaller block pushing that.
1.4/1.6

I agree the bigger engine may be heavier. But a properly setup valver isnt as bad as people say for handleing. Intresting to see how brett warbartons car shapes up on track this year. Maybe prove a few theroys wrong?

ahh well just my pennys worth.

CP
07-04-03, 08:44 PM
mmm shiny 40's 8) :D

Dan
07-04-03, 08:57 PM
mine are cleaner now after being washed in petrol lol :lol: :lol:

krobinson
07-04-03, 10:44 PM

It was never roaded with the head on as soon after the engine atarted to die. Probably 150ish then. as i hear the head helps alot on these engines.

Hence the 16 valve lump.

Isnt an SRI 130 cav engine, 130bhp standard? It dont seem alot of gain from 45's? 130>140bhp

Keith

mikeoxford
07-04-03, 10:48 PM

Hence the 16 valve lump.

Isnt an SRI 130 cav engine, 130bhp standard? It dont seem alot of gain from 45's? 130>140bhp

Keith

yep

i also thought this

im assuming the injection system is pretty good and thats why you only see 10 bhp?

could be wrong

Tazzy
08-04-03, 02:07 AM
im still thinking about dropping a 2.0 8v from an astra gte in my nova gte, the onlt problem i have is the wiring, nor me or my brother will be able to easily do it, even though my bro is an ex mehanic!

we are thinking of getting it to about 150!

my bro has the engine, gearbox injection system and ecu, but we didnt take the loom, which will be the major problem!

the reason i want a bigger engine in it is to sell it, to make it more eye appealing, i want to sell the gte and my bro wants to sell his engine!

Jim
08-04-03, 09:17 AM
the reason i want a bigger engine in it is to sell it, to make it more eye appealing, i want to sell the gte and my bro wants to sell his engine!

4ndy, to the novice eye, the 2.0l 8v won't look any different to 1.4l 8v. My engine bay looks very much like the pics posted above, yet I've only got a 1.6l engine. It's the 16v conversion that will make the engine look bigger.

Jim

nova---chris
08-04-03, 09:39 AM
I suppose you could look at it as 'oh only 10bhp extra'
But what about torque. I think alot more torque is gonna be there than with just injection. I could be wrong. But thats the thought i had.

Plus i think carbs/throttles maybe help with throttle response better than the older injection unit.

Also i think one of the best things with a 2l 8v is headwork.
WHich i did have done but by then the engine was knackerd.

I think the carbs was well worth it. you have to drive it to realise .
A standard valver makes 150 bhp roughly. with a set of 45s on it it sees between 170 and 180@fly.

See bhp isnt everything. the lad at the the top of the street with 200bhp might get kaned by the lad down the street with the 170bhp nova.
Cos as some ppl might realise. BHP isnt the only factor in making the car quick.

few more pennys worth.

mikeoxford
08-04-03, 11:18 PM
NOTHING compares to the noise these babies makes either.

NOTHING AT ALL.

i noticed the lovely induction straight away, but then soon forgot about it, only now when i have sent my carbs away, do i notice JUST HOW MUCH they do sound nice and change the whole driving experience completely!

chris is right

webers, just like valvers, are an experience thing. u cant really comment or know until youve "sucked it and seen"

PeteG
09-04-03, 12:49 AM
I'd agree completely on the engine size/balance thing. I'm gona fit a 2.0 8v cos its cheap easy power,if I think the handling is liveable with the power then it'll stay,but if not then tis back to the smaller lump. I'd love a CP style 1.4 on TBs,bet the balance is brilliant.

nova---chris
09-04-03, 06:40 AM
I suppose the other way to look at things is with a 1.4 you can push it to a certain point.Now if your happy with that then thats fine.

But with say a 2L 16V theres even more scope for more power.torque.

Again you could say. why have spent so much on my valver. Why not just do a turbo. would have been cheaper for me to be honest.
Problem is everyones granny is doing em now. Same as when the valver took of. everyones got em.

Ahh well. Anyone with webbers/throttles will agree that the sound is quite raw. On my car when it comes on cam ' it gives of a lovely noise . now im not saying i paid 800 od quid for webbers just for the sound.

Just for the record. the 8v ran 140bhp@ one of the proper reading roads. non of these mega figures. perhaps one of the lowest reading ones in the country (p.s i did go to another place where it put out 160bhp on the rollers)