PDA

View Full Version : Painting in a unit

MattBrown
01-02-10, 08:00 PM
Well basically, My mate Mark (My Nova) on here has said we can paint my shell in his tyre company that he runs

My question is, whens the best time to do it?

With relation to temperature?

It is having a full engine bay, all panels inside and out, and the outside of the shell done

Im just wondering whats the best make of paint to use aswell;)

Annie
01-02-10, 08:12 PM
my dads always told me that its best to spray on a warm day or if your unit is sealed you could maybe use a heater. ideal temp would be room temp upwards. if its cold doesnt it go matt & give a poor finish plus it would take ages to dry.

KSRY
01-02-10, 08:20 PM
My Dad sprayed his spitfire outside on a windless day and did a great job, was summer though...

If your doing it in the next couple of weeks, you'll definately need some heaters, maybe invest in a cheap gazebo thingy to help stop possible damage to drying paint and to keep temperature the same throughout the car to allow it to dry evenly and at the same pace?

peester
01-02-10, 08:23 PM
the warmest day ever possible

MattBrown
01-02-10, 08:24 PM
We are feeling april/may time?

Sound ok?

mayhem
01-02-10, 09:09 PM
wet the floor. prevents kicking up dust :)

16v Nova Kev
01-02-10, 09:13 PM
might react like mad if there are lots of silicone(sp) in the air tbh i would not even try it.

Bubba
01-02-10, 11:08 PM
45degrees plus. make it a proper oven!

Benn
01-02-10, 11:15 PM
As said, you want the hottest day of the year. The hotter the better really.

The place needs to be as clean as it can be, or you'll have more bits in the finish the a Indians carpet...

As Kev said, the silicone on the tyres will give you a right pain, finish might be fish eyeed to funk. Not the best place to paint it.

Ben
01-02-10, 11:32 PM
Had a painter rip me off so got my own back by spraying silicone spray through a crack in his unit for weeks, done it every night after work lmfbo

sr jack
02-02-10, 01:42 AM
Had a painter rip me off so got my own back by spraying silicone spray through a crack in his unit for weeks, done it every night after work lmfbo

lol thats nasty. but funny way of revenge :p

nova-taken
02-02-10, 05:09 AM

How very devious of you lol
thats has certainly made my day... well night

Paul
02-02-10, 11:39 AM
Just painted my mates astra last night in my old barn, was 1degree, we had a space heater goin for a few hours before to warm it right up.