PDA

View Full Version : Few questions/queries 2.0 - 1.6

xe_nova9
01-02-10, 07:55 PM
Right, this is my situation,

I have a c20xe engine in my nova, I bought the car already converted and the engine has a pourous head, I knew this when I bought it as I had planned on putting another engine in that I have.

The insurance is going to cost a bomb, I knew this in the first place and was prepared to pay it, but thinking more and more about it I cant justify spending that much. I'm 19, 20 this year, so I/sr jack were talking about using a 1600 engine, then In the future it can be converted back to a c20xe as I still have the other engine.

Anyway I'll stop blabbing.

I'm not up to scratch with the 1600, I know of the e16se and c16se, which is which as in what car they came from?

The car is all wired up for the c20xe, what wiring changes will have to made to run a 1600?

And anything else I need to know, please fire away :thumb:

Lee
01-02-10, 09:46 PM
Check how the offside engine mount has been done. Either there will be an adapter plate (made out of flat metal) or a standard nova mount. If its got a standard mount, the bracket on the chassis leg will have been cut off and rewelded, so you will have to reverse the process. If its using an adapter plate, just use a standard mount :)

Wiring will be nigh on identical.

Whats on the logbook? You'll only save on insurance if you put the original engine the car had to start with. if not, its still an 'engine conversion' and will still cost an arm and a leg. Get some quotes if your unsure. Also, if its a 2.0 on the logbook, you will have to tell the DVLA you're fitting a 1.6, and they will derfinately want an engineers report as you will be climbing down a tax bracket.

sr jack
01-02-10, 09:52 PM
I think I remember the mount being a conversion mount. And also how comes its more money to insure a Xe in mine but cheaper with the 1.6 ?

Lee
01-02-10, 09:55 PM
I think I remember the mount being a conversion mount. And also how comes its more money to insure a Xe in mine but cheaper with the 1.6 ?

Obviously the 1.6 will be cheaper to insure, but normally if you put a GSi up against a 1.2 thats had a 1.6 fitted, the GSi will be cheaper to insure.

Thats not ALWAYS the case, it depends on your insurer, but 9 times out of 10 it is.

sr jack
01-02-10, 10:03 PM
Yer spose lee. Best thing he can do is get some quotes.

My insurance is a grand on my gte, I'm 21 with 2 years no claims but I have six points :( I have everything declared though, stripped out, buckets,alloys,brakes,suspension,exhaust,air filter,harnesses.

xe_nova9
02-02-10, 07:37 AM
It's still down as a 1.2 on the logbook as thats how I bought it and intented to change it when the car wwas ready for the road.

I've got the conversion mount on the o/s/f.

I'll check some quotes out :)

So the wiring is like for like except a few things?

philip
02-02-10, 03:04 PM
get some woutes matey, you might be suprised

what are you doing with the xe with the porous head?