PDA

View Full Version : 1.2 -1.4 swap

pyromaniac_yeti
01-02-10, 03:12 PM
Okay here goes,

the 1.4 SPI engine from a mates astra snapped its cambelt. (mk3 astra..)

now what im wondering, if i was to take my carbed 1.2 engine out of my car...fit it with the 1.4 cam, dizzy etc, would i be able to fit the astra's inlet and exhaust manifolds onto the 1.2 head? would the mountings allow the nova lump to fit in the astra? would the nova's box hook up to the astra driveshafts, or would the astra box fit up to the nova bellhousing?

basicly 1.4 cam, ignition, and fuel injection, on a 1.2 carbed lump.

how, and what do i need to get it into the astra if its even possible? :confused:

looked at it and the engines looked very simmilar...i know the fueling would be off, but surely it could be remapped with a kwp2000 plus or something?

or is it just gonna work out cheaper to replace the lump like for like on the astra?

mowgli
01-02-10, 03:16 PM
it really is not worth the bother, a 1.2 will struggle in an astra

now a 1.2 head on a 1.4 bottom end with all the 1.4 bits would be interesting...

but basically, try to find a 1.4 head for it

pyromaniac_yeti
01-02-10, 04:48 PM
Hmm...what about the 1.6 heads? surely they'd have bigger valves and such?

plus the 1.6's out of the nova GTE's and such had a hotter cam diddent they? :confused:

ill keep my eyes out, it dont have to be perfect realy...just run, so realisticly any 8v head would fit it?

mowgli
01-02-10, 05:16 PM
the 1.6 head is a bigger chamber, so lower cr..

stick a 1200st or 1300 head on as long as there are no sensors etc that get in the way. more cr = more power

pyromaniac_yeti
01-02-10, 05:25 PM
fair enough, wasnt sure on the way the head would affect the CR.

any straight swap engines that'd go in without having to change the wiring loom over?

MattBrown
01-02-10, 08:04 PM
fair enough, wasnt sure on the way the head would affect the CR.

any straight swap engines that'd go in without having to change the wiring loom over?

Same as the one you took out?

Duh:thumb: lol

pyromaniac_yeti
01-02-10, 08:50 PM
peanut :roll: lol

I'll have to scource a 1400 head then for it...any cheapo ways of getting a bit more poke out of it whilst its all apart? cam swaps from other vauxhalls & stuff like that?

thinking replace the piston rings, all the gaskets, pop in a set of ARP bolts on the bottom end...maybe a hotter cam if theres any cheapo vaux ones out there (much like putting the 1.3 cam in the 1.2 nova engine) anything anyone can suggest?

the relevance of this to the nova, is that the engine will probbbably end up in mine at a later date, using the astra as a runabout whilst i get my nova welded up...so it pays to make sure i've got a solid bottom end that i know is all good before doing a swap. why swap to a 1.4? the insurance man...:thumb: