PDA

View Full Version : old 8mm video tape query, help needed!

John
31-01-10, 08:24 PM
Hi guys, i have an old sony handycam that runs 8mm tapes. I've loads of footage of my daughter when she was little on them and i can't get it off! I only have the lead from the av out on the camcorder, with the yellow and black rcas on them. how can i upload all this to my pc? do i need some sort of special lead to make the rcas fit usb? if so can some-one post me the ebay link?
Ta!:)

Annie
31-01-10, 08:27 PM
I had the same problem, Found this on ebay, easy to use converts to mpeg video you can then copy to dvd.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-2-0-VHS-to-DVD-Converter-Adapter-VIDEO-CAPTURE-CARD_W0QQitemZ250572109089QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Co mputing_CablesConnectors_RL?hash=item3a5742f521

John
31-01-10, 08:38 PM
I've tried one of these and the usb drive won't run it? any ideas why?

Annie
31-01-10, 08:42 PM
sorry I have no idea, Ive used it on xp, vista & windows 7. you have to mess about with the settings on the above as I was just getting audio & no picture. Took a while to figure it out as intructions were in chinese lol

John
01-02-10, 10:09 AM
it's working! Got image, but no sound tho. The lead from the camera has a black and a yellow rca, which does the sound run through. The usb adapter has a white (left) and a red (right) input. Which do i connect the black lead to?

Angus Closier
01-02-10, 11:34 AM
The yellow will be the picture and the black will be the sound, dont think it will matter which one the sound goes into black or white. however i may be wrong.

Riggy
01-02-10, 11:48 AM
a way that i did it for someone at work was , use the handi can lead with the yellow and black rca leads and pluged it into my dvd recorder (like watching it on telle) but pressed record obv quite long winded but didnt have any special pc leads lol

Jack
01-02-10, 11:48 AM
What model of handycam is it?

John
01-02-10, 03:52 PM
Sony ccd-trv78e (approx 10 years old)

John
01-02-10, 03:53 PM
a way that i did it for someone at work was , use the handi can lead with the yellow and black rca leads and pluged it into my dvd recorder (like watching it on telle) but pressed record obv quite long winded but didnt have any special pc leads lol

My dvd player doesn't have rcs, just hdmi and scart. Could i get a scart/hdmi to rca converter?

Welsh Dan
01-02-10, 04:40 PM
Scart to RCA is cheap and easy. HDMI to RCA is not. Any electronics shop should have a Scart to RCA adapter.

John
01-02-10, 04:42 PM
Just checked, my dvd player isn't recordable, (we only watch peppa pig anyway!)so i'll have to stay with the pc way.

Welsh Dan
01-02-10, 04:49 PM
Check out the Pinnacle Dazzle range if you want to do it yourself. Otherwise most local camera shops offer this as a service.

John
01-02-10, 05:13 PM
Dan, would be nice if i could keep on using the camera tbh, like i said, nearly got it sussed just no sound! Want me to post a pic of what i have? so we can see how i should have it connected?

Welsh Dan
01-02-10, 05:45 PM
Yes please.