PDA

View Full Version : Mk2 SR problem / for sale

mikeoxford
04-04-03, 11:42 PM
dont want this bought by any old muppet. and im not 100% if i want to sell, so for this reason its not going in the for sale section.

if anyone is intrested please can they post below.

ENGINE
BLOCK 1600 OHC engine. HEAD sourced from Astra mk2 1.3 8v. CAM Kent AST2 Sports 'R' Cam Kit, Power Band: 3000 - 7000, Cam Lift: 6.09mm, Valve Lift: 10.30mm, Duration: 290 Degrees, Timing Figures: 36/74 74/36, Valve Timing: 109 Degrees. MISC Original Irmscher inlet manifold, Uprated manual fuel pump, Anodised Kent adjustable vernier cam pulley, Front bumper mounted Mocal oil intercooler, Braided hoses, Pipercross sock air filters, Pipercross crankcase breather, Mongoose stainless steel exhaust system, Sportex four branch manifold, Dash mounted auxillary fan override switch, Heated screen wash kit, RedBull coil!

TRANSMISSION
F13CR 5-Speed close ratio gearbox, Final drive ratio 4.18:1

SUSPENSION
Full GMAX -60mm Suspension Kit with GMAX shortened shocks. Full 3 piece FK Automotive strut brace set (Front & rear turret strut braces, lower front suspension arms).

BRAKES
Astra GTE 16v front brake calipers (painted red) pads and hoses, Cross drilled and grooved ventilated discs (256mm diameter x 24mm wide), Standard rear brake drums (painted red).

BODYWORK
Rolled Rear arches for 15"/16" wheels, Astra GTE MkII Sideskirts & Bonnet vents, Renault Laguna front splitter, Novatech alloy flush-fit fuel cap, MonoStyle single wiper conversion, Electric adjustment for headlamps, Nova GTE/SR rear wrap-around spoiler with Astra GTE MkII rear spoiler attached on top, Custom spoiler mounted high level brake and indicator lights, Hatchback de-Badged, de-Locked, key fob operated pop button, Toyota Yaris rear wiper, Clear oval side repeaters, Mesh grille, Nova GTE under bonnet lamp added, Roof mounted aerial - telescopic wing mounted one removed, White LED Chrome Windscreen Washer Jets, Standard MkII exterior refinements - smaller head lights and indicators, smooth grill, wings and bumpers etc. Standard SR exterior refinements lower grey vinyl etc.

WHEELS & TYRES
Nova GSI 3 Spokes wrapped in Toyo 185/60/R14 tyres, Standard 13" steelie spare wheel.

INTERIOR
Heated red SRi seats using Volvo heated seat pads & Calibra switches, E-Tech Engineering steering wheel - engraved "Nova" mounted on a Snap-Off quick release hub, Chrome 'SR' door sill covers, Astra GTE MkII 8v Digital Dash, Super EX air freshener, Tigra indicator and wash wipe stalk conversion (rear wash wipe also works from stalk), GM Electric windows and central locking combined, Nova GSi electric window and Calibra heated seat switches in GSi housing and centre console, Red SRi door cards, Blue neon glovebox illumination, Illuminated sun visors, Standard MkII interior refinements - smooth rounded dash, fabric trim, larger door pockets etc.

ICE
JVC KS-FX640R cassette head unit, JVC CH-X300 12 disc CD changer, 12V to 240V 150 Watt Power Inverter, Homemade boot build containing 12v Mini Fridge! Pro Plus SPL12 12" Sub Woofer in 1.38 cubic ft of air powered by a Longmill Pharoh 002 2x150w amp, Kicker Impulse 7x10s in rear shelf, Factory fit replacement Kicker Infinity speakers in front dash and rear parcel shelf supports both wired with 220?f non-polarised electrolytic capacitors.

SECURITY
Hazard switch modified to prevent reversal, Insurance approved total closure Cobra Thatcham alarm and immobiliser system, Custom immobilising switching circuit and startup sequence! Three custom made and one aftermarket locking bolt per alloy wheel.

mikeoxford
04-04-03, 11:45 PM
accompanying it will be a trailer full of sh!t out the garage, enough parts to build two engine, nothing wrong with either of them, just buthcered for parts.

anyway, 2 engines complete just not togetether.

and a whole array of general spares and standard bits from stripping my old car

ollster
04-04-03, 11:48 PM
why you sellin it mike?

mikeoxford
04-04-03, 11:50 PM
depressed.

_JH_
05-04-03, 12:01 AM
if your pissed off with engine trouble etc, i have seen you mention it before, then keep your shell and rethink you whole engine. maybe a 1300? 2.0 8v using some of your existing parts. you'd make more money selling individual items than the whole car too

?Marty?
05-04-03, 12:12 AM
Depressed eh?

Women problems eh?

Tell uncle marty all about it.

mikeoxford
05-04-03, 12:38 AM
not particulary anything really.

im just on a low point, guess everyone has them.

usually i put time and effort in to something and see results from it and be pleased by it.

but lately.

car wise especially, its one step forward, three back

Ben (lurk75)
05-04-03, 12:50 AM
i am on a complete downer on my car at the moment, i just want shot of it as well, i have given up before but i think this time its for real.

mikeoxford
05-04-03, 12:53 AM
i am on a complete downer on my car at the moment, i just want shot of it as well, i have given up before but i think this time its for real.

think were headed the same place matey :cry:

i went out for a long drive earlier, purely to get some cold air through my hair.

was thinking just how FCUKED off i was etc etc, but then thought i will kick myself if i give up :(

i dont know :? :evil:

depends if anyone offers me sensible amount.........

anyone?

Neil.
05-04-03, 12:57 AM
ill give u ?5, see, thats not enough so keep it!

Fester
05-04-03, 01:04 AM
theres a lot on offer, but i dont think youll get what youve put in and its worth to you

ive been working on small things constantly since i got it, and im still not through the list, one more job to do then ive completed my initial list, but will carry on though (once freak sends some stuff through - no not hassling freak lol just making excuses for me)

whats up with it; what needs doing?

Jim
05-04-03, 10:33 AM
Blimey Mike, you sound like someone else I know who was forever up and down with regards to there car. Not mentioning any names, but my "southern" friend was forever changing his mind about his car. My advice, if you're really p****d off with it, but might not want to sell it, then just leave the car for a month. Save up a months wage and dont drive the car. Once you've got some money together, take it to a garage, or do the work yourself in one stint and it'll all be sorted. Take a few days off work to do the work if you plan to do it yourself. Get some friends over and get them to help. If you're still P****d off with it, then try and sell it, but don't put it for sale, accept an offer and then chage your mind at the last mionute, as that won't be very nice to the person thats put the offer in.

Jim

whitey
05-04-03, 10:54 AM
Well Mike! What you gonna do if you sell it then?

ade
05-04-03, 12:40 PM
MIKE!!!!!!!! Wopt you playing at!

You cant sell it - its the time of the year - post winter blues m8! Look at my car probs at the moment! Bloody things cost more than its worth to fix and it still aint fixed!

To be honest the best thing is to hold onto it, fit a standard engine and then plan the bigger engine without fitting it to the car - see if you can make some kind of rig to test it before fitting it to the car. Or fit it to a knackered shell? Or keep the nova and buy a basic runaround till its sorted.

you will get there - you need to have faith in yer abilities and seek advice from the masters (CP etc...)

8)

?Marty?
05-04-03, 03:22 PM
I know how you feel mate. I'm sure we all do the same.

I keep wanting rid one moment, and then think it's great the next.

It's in the bodyshop at the moment, and i'm already thinking it's shit and i want shut, but i haven't even got it back looking how i've wanted it to look like for ages.

Somedays i walk out, look at the car and think what a bag of shit, time for something new. But then i go somewhere get out the car and have people start saying 'nice car mate..what...how...where...' and etc, and i'm all happy again.

I say stick with it Mike. Unless you get a decent offer for it.

Anton
05-04-03, 08:24 PM
stick with it.

you will regret it if you sell it.

take it from someone who knows, i miss mine :cry:

jatinder
05-04-03, 08:44 PM
everyones got problems wiv there car take mine for example i spent nearly ?100 pounds getting the brake pipes replaced wot happens a month later its pissing fluid all over the place or when iwas taken sum fit birds home from a club and my wiper linkage snaps and i think fucking car and start looking in autotrader for prices etc. them i leave it for a bit and come back to the car wash it clean it and maybe sleep in it and all is forgoten :)

cheer up mike i think everyone has gone through one of these stages

mikeoxford
06-04-03, 03:48 AM
this all stems from you jim!!! :lol: :wink:

if you would sell me your alloys, i could then fit the new brakes, which would then let me see im getting somewhere, and then i wouldnt feel this way :lol:

jokes apart... ... ... i know deep down i got to see it through and stick with it. just needed u guys to persuade me i guess. things are looking a bit better

ill clean her ready for sheffield tomorow.

in all fairness, i think the problem with the engine is its completely different in where the power bands are and also driving style. if you notice the time of this post, about 4 oclock AM, youll gather the roads were empty, and ive had a bit of fun :oops: :twisted:

mikeoxford
06-04-03, 03:49 AM
next question will be, modified 1600 engine, or 2ltr 8v!?

16 valver not an option because of the cost.

i can get a rear end right off cav for ?50, so do i do what we did 2 my mates and put the 2ltr, or mod the 1600 on carbs?!

locky
06-04-03, 02:54 PM
I just cant believe u Michael! wanting 2 sell ur car! tut! tut! tut! Im goin 2 be modifying my engine! but a 2.0 would be nice provided u can get good traction! i no of a couple of people who suffer from bad traction!

Aragorn
06-04-03, 07:29 PM
a lot of folk say a 2.0 8v is a waste of effort

its the same work and weight as the valver but doesnt have the same power or tunability

the cammed 1600 on 40's woudl be producing 140-150bhp i recon and thats gonna beat the 2L in accelleration and thru the twisties

so get yourself the GTE head and inlet manifold - bolt the 40's on, plop the cam in
and get the whole lot rollered

or u could try and bodge on the 1300 head but thats a bitty :/

Chris_W
06-04-03, 09:23 PM
Tut tut Mike, and there was me thinking I sold it to a good home :wink:
Personally I'd try and catch a ride in Jim's car, that will show you that a tuned 1.6 on carbs is the way to go. What you want is a fun point to point car, and a tuned 1.6 is certainly that, plus from talking to Jim is seems to be reliable and not too juicy on the fuel costs. If you tried to do a 2.0 and then a fair bit of tuning, it would be nice and quick, but you'd probably need 45's for that, which would be yet more expense.
The other option is to sell the SR and buy my car off me :twisted:

Chris

mikeoxford
06-04-03, 11:44 PM
a lot of folk say a 2.0 8v is a waste of effort
its the same work and weight as the valver but doesnt have the same power or tunability
the cammed 1600 on 40's woudl be producing 140-150bhp i recon and thats gonna beat the 2L in accelleration and thru the twisties
so get yourself the GTE head and inlet manifold - bolt the 40's on, plop the cam in
and get the whole lot rollered
or u could try and bodge on the 1300 head but thats a bitty :/

we fitted a 2ltr 8v in a weekend, no extra effort involved from fitting a 1.4 carb, we found it dead easy, his car shifts, and the hardest part was wiring the loom it took me 15 mins i was scratching my head LOL

funnily enough a guy started chatting to us on the way back from shef, and he said nothing he can do can improve his valver handling, and that he though in hindsight he should have tuned a 2ltr 8v.

good in straight line, but just dont handle he said, tried everything.

im sure if u had a valver you would be proud of it though.

anyway

chris mate, it has gone to a good home.

i have an insurance policy paying out in my name, and also have a PLAAAAAAANNNN

im quite excited :lol: 8)

this cars staying, it would be wrong of me to give up now

im trying a modded engine route - plans are hush hush.

and if all else fails, its down to the SRi 130 2ltr 8v route, family owend low mileage cav already sourced :lol: 8)

anyway i best stop typin now ill go on forever.

chris mate, you want to buy it back??

gotta be worth an extra 50 notes now ive drove it :lol: :twisted:

Chris LR
07-04-03, 07:09 PM
DON'T DO IT

I felt the same about mine, so I got rid of it.........

Now just look, I'm going around in a Saxo. I gave-up purely becasue I didn't want to strip 50% of the car down to fix it's problems.

Engine Needed Head Gasket & Clutch
Bodywork needed holes and rust doing
Electrical problems ment the dash had to come out

If I have more free time I probably would have kept it, but I didn't.

Stick with it

Slatter
07-04-03, 07:24 PM
Mike dont worry i feel just like you

I HATE ENGINES

Ive just bought a fiesta DIESEL van

Nova is being forgotten about for a while :cry:

stugsi
07-04-03, 07:52 PM
don't sell your car mate i don't want you drive the METRO

im P****d off too mate im having the bodywork done next week as you know thats costing ?850.

but i really think the bottom end has gone on my car now as ive done oil change (thicker oil) and still blowing bad smoke compression in 1,2,4 are at 150 but the 3 bore is reading 130 :(

if you ever need a hand i don't mind getting my hands dirty mate

cheer up PLEASE!!!!!!!!! :D

mikeoxford
07-04-03, 09:50 PM
cheers for all your replies guys :)

im alright.

ill be sticking with it

and LOL at the pink metro comments!

mikeoxford
07-04-03, 09:51 PM
oh and cheers stu - sorry about the bottom end going :(

Jim
07-04-03, 09:59 PM
Personally I'd try and catch a ride in Jim's car, that will show you that a tuned 1.6 on carbs is the way to go. What you want is a fun point to point car, and a tuned 1.6 is certainly that, plus from talking to Jim is seems to be reliable and not too juicy on the fuel costs.

Cheers Chris. It's all down to CP tho :) But yes, I'm really pleased with the engine and I don't want to go down the 2.0l 16v route. (ironically I probably will at some point, lol :roll: )

Mike, if you don't stop b******g about them wheels I'll come round to your house and shove up yer a**e, LMFAO :lol: :lol: Although, I'd like some cash in return :P

We've all gone through these times. It's a case of learing by them and carrying on. You can't let this sort of thing get you down. It'll all work out in the end.

Jim

Benjoyce
08-04-03, 11:36 AM
glad to hear your keeping your car now, we all have problems at one point or another, i have a couple of major ones at the mo, really bad camber and no exhaust(money'll be in the post marty)!! i'm just sticking with it.