PDA

View Full Version : cylinder head

mullinz
04-04-03, 08:30 PM
iv got the head off 4 the 2nd time this week i discovered my head gasket woz fucked so i replaced it. i then got the head bak on then started the engine after much fucking about however when i checked the oil there was water present. so iv got it off again but does n1 know how 2 check whther the head is warped. also which wiuld be less expensiv gettin head skimmed or gettin a head from scrappy

cheers 4 any help

Nova-Boy
04-04-03, 08:36 PM
Get your head skimmed! If you get another head from the scrappy of another car it will need skimming anyway to ensure it mates up with your block. If your head is that bad you may need to do both get another head and get that skimmed. Sorry. If you get it skimmed then you will increase compression though!!! What car are you looking at? I have a 1.2 and 1.3sr head spare if you are interested.

mullinz
04-04-03, 08:48 PM
i dunno how bad it is i tried laying wat i think is a flat edge across the head and it looks slightly banana shaped if u know wat i mean. so if i got hte head skimmed it wud increase compression and wat would this do decrease the power i dont know bout the compression stuff. how much is it likely 2 cost 2 get the head skimmed then?

cheers chavey

Chris LR
04-04-03, 08:49 PM
Quick check, did you change both oil and water after you replaced the gasket the first time?

mullinz
04-04-03, 08:57 PM
yeah m8 i replaced the water the oil and the filter after i took the first gasket on so i think that is the only thing that the head must be warped and that why the oil gettin contaminated. i think its cause the tooser who i bought it off knew the gasket woz going and decided 2 gring down the head bolts.

cheers

Nova-Boy
04-04-03, 10:13 PM
Increasing compression is a good thing means more power!!

mikeoxford
05-04-03, 12:13 AM
Increasing compression is a good thing means more power!!

TOOOOOO much compression and say by by pistons and piston rings

Euan
05-04-03, 10:53 AM
i've got the exact same prob as u mate. its really annoyin as i only get a very very small amount of contaminated water on the oil filler. very confusing.

Nova-Boy
05-04-03, 06:41 PM
I am currently doing up a cyclinder head to put on my car. I am going to get it skimmed but like said i dont want to do it toooo much. How much should i tell the engineering spot to take off. I want to get better performance. As far as i am aware the head hasn't been skimmed before?? How much??

mullinz
05-04-03, 09:50 PM
yeah i laid a glass shelf across the head and its well out could me nearly a mil out so im gona hav 2 get it skimmed or a new head. im not sure how much you can hav off m8 but i think there are limits u prob better doin other mods 2 ur engine not sure how much bhp ul get let us know how much it cost u if u do hav it done though

cheers

Nova-Boy
05-04-03, 11:01 PM
you should skim a head anyway if it is off a different car to makes sure it has no high or low spots on it not to mention being warped! I will get it done and let you know how much it cost!

Nova-Boy
09-04-03, 12:39 PM
Sorry to bring up the dead an all but....

Just been to the nearest car garage to work and they said they will skim my head for ?25. Does this seem like a reasonable price?

They also said that there is no point machining it cos it wont do bugger all for the performane. They said just get it skimmed and a new gasket cos the thickness of the gasket can vary up to the amount your machining it!

rgv_stu
09-04-03, 01:29 PM
yeah thats about the going rate ?25 -30 for a skim

Nova-Boy
09-04-03, 01:36 PM
Ok i will get it done tomorrow then. Thanks

Dicko
09-04-03, 02:26 PM
a few things to note...

its a good idea to get it skimed while its off, aslong as it hasnt been skimed a few times before it shud slightly increase performance!

if you do the gasket make sure its a vuax gasket and no cheap sh1t replacement. Also, did u use a torque bar and an angle gauge, there a hell of alot tighter than any other make iv come across on these vuax heads.

after youv done a swop if your oil was pretty crappy before and your water i would put pure water into your engine and run it for a day then flush and refil+add coolant as the crap gets cuaght up in your pipes. maybe use radflush but some people dont like it.
get some cheap oil (?3.99 5L) and run it through the engine/filter before swopping the filter and filling with new good oil..

novataken Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 9:53 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i've got the exact same prob as u mate. its really annoyin as i only get a very very small amount of contaminated water on the oil filler. very confusing.

in response to that. well depends how much you get, condensation builds up in you engine if you leave it standing then will cuase that on your filler cap, but if you wipe if off daily and it returns quickly or is on prety thick its a sign that the head gasket is on its way out. mind you i did 8k on a GTE engine that was (on its way out) before it eventually went!!

Nova-Boy
09-04-03, 02:29 PM
I am doing a complete new engine re-build so everything like the water thermostat engine oil and all gaskets will be replaced.

What is the part number for a vauxhall gasket for a 1.2?? How much more are they than other makes and why are they soo much better??

mikeoxford
09-04-03, 02:31 PM

Dicko
09-04-03, 02:34 PM
your looking ?15-?20 where a copy would be ?6-?10.

they are made from better materials basicaly.