PDA

View Full Version : Readable Engine No.? - MOT?

eightvalver
30-01-10, 06:44 PM
Was just cleaning up my Cav engine, which will be going in me Nova (eventually)

(This has probably come up before and not sure this is the right section) but I noticed the engine number is not at all readable so attacked it with a scourer and some deagreaser, but nothing shows through.. I could get the wire brush out but i am thinking if its better to leave it:confused:

As it will be in my Nova, i am thinking it wont get through the MOT:confused: say if i tried to put it through an MOT and i had the V5 updated, would the tester bother to check the engine number to see if it matched the database? Also what difference would it make if the V5 was not updated?

Only reason is, the cav went throgh previous mot's no problem - and the engine no. was prob no more readable then...:roll:

paul james
30-01-10, 06:48 PM
Do you have the log book for the Cav? the engine number should be in that.

nova-taken
30-01-10, 07:06 PM
Testers very unusually check engine numbers round where i am dude, dunno bout cardiff though

mowgli
30-01-10, 07:15 PM
if you have updated the v5, then it is no problem.

eightvalver
30-01-10, 07:26 PM
I still have the Cav V5 and know the engine number...

I was just wondering on wether the MOT tester needs to check engine numbers as they do the chassis number-whitch ends up on the certificate.

As i said, the cav got throgh previous MOT, and the number was no more readable then.. so i know they probably didn't bother checking it then and probably wouldn't check it if i MOT'd the Cavalier tomorrow..

Only thing i was thinking is what would happen if i drove down to the same testing station in my cav-powered Nova - obviously they would notice there is a 2L lump in the bay when there should be a 1.2...(but the v5 IS updated) so would they then bother to check it against the logbook (if they do anyway!)

Simply..... :d what would happen if my engine had a corroded and totally unreadable engine no. or even ground off number?:wtf:

Tommy_nova
30-01-10, 08:33 PM
Where do you take it for the MOT in cardiff bud i have never had a prob changed my engine on my old nova afew times nothing was said about the number not matching tho..

Tommy

eightvalver
30-01-10, 08:52 PM
Seawall motors MOT. Cav was allways done there since 1993 when it was owned by a friend of the family, he had been freinds with the garage owner for nearly 30 years, until the owner died recently. Now in hands of his sons.

They used to be a tad dodgy ''back in the day'' but now have a really good reputation.

I cant really see a problem im just overly paranoid. My mind is always running...oh what about this...and what about that.... I think i need to increase my medication dose:roll:lol

Benn
30-01-10, 08:56 PM
Most testers wouldn't know where to look...

burgo
30-01-10, 09:11 PM
the engine number is not part of the test

Ben
30-01-10, 09:16 PM
Most testers wouldn't know where to look...

Agreed, my mot tester never even checks the vin numbers just copies all info off previous MOT's.