PDA

View Full Version : will it pass

jakeufton
30-01-10, 05:50 PM
i have a single wiper conversion on my car and just wondering if this is ok for the m.o.t? thanks

let_nova
30-01-10, 05:52 PM
yes.

let_nova
30-01-10, 05:52 PM
citroen AX had single wiper

kc_08
30-01-10, 05:53 PM
as long as it pretty much covers the windscreen to be safe then ye

mowgli
30-01-10, 05:53 PM
as long as it works ok, just make sure the car is clean so he can't get grumpy about the wipe pattern

jakeufton
30-01-10, 05:57 PM
so it is not an issue that it sits in the centre fo the windescreen because ive just taken my car to my mate dads garage for a service before m.o.t and he said it wouldnt , think he was just winding me up though to be fair. :tard:

paul james
30-01-10, 06:01 PM
It shouldn't be in the centre of the screen when not in use, as thats obscuring vision. Adjust it so it comes to a stop at the base of the windscreen.

jakeufton
30-01-10, 06:03 PM
how do i go about adusting it, because at the moment it settles bang on in the centre lol

mowgli
30-01-10, 06:12 PM
how do i go about adusting it, because at the moment it settles bang on in the centre lol

undo the wiper gearbox & turn the cog round till its right

paul james
30-01-10, 06:12 PM
Depends, if you have one of those kits the actual linkage can be adjusted to alter the length of sweep. Or you might just need to reposition the linakge where it meets the motor - undo the bolt, pull the linkage arm off and put it back on so the wiper is resting at the bottom of the screen on the passenger side when the wiper motor is at the end of its movement. It can be a bit fiddly to get right, personally I'd rather just use the original twin wiper set up.

Bubba
30-01-10, 06:38 PM
mines in the middle and it passed fine

jakeufton
30-01-10, 07:15 PM
ahhh bubba thank god my mot is like next week, i sure can sleep tonite lol and i also much prefer the 2 wiper "standard" set up but its just how i bought it so meh and thanks for the info paul james ill have a fiddle after the mot to get it to sit at the bottom because knowing my luck ill knacker the lot then it will definatly fail lol

eightvalver
30-01-10, 09:29 PM
Suprising little known fact, Did yo know that you can just remove the wiper arms on any car, and it will still pass the MOT:wtf:

Its because the MOT test doesn't state that a car HAS to have wipers, but rather that the wipers on a car have to be in good condition. If your car has no wipers or arms, then there is nothing to fail, or pass for that matterlol Same idea with the windscreen, if there is a chip in it, just take it out alltogetherlol

Havn't tried it tho:roll:

Jack
30-01-10, 10:15 PM
Suprising little known fact, Did yo know that you can just remove the wiper arms on any car, and it will still pass the MOT:wtf:
Afraid not chap

Reason for rejection
2. A wiper blade insecure, missing, or in such a condition that it does not clear the windscreen effectively to give the driver an adequate view of the road (through the windscreen) to the left and right sides of the vehicle, as well as to the front.
Anyway, with regards to the single wiper gubbins:

Windscreen Inspection Zones

Zone 'A is:
. in the swept area of the Windscreen
. 290mm wide
. centred on the centre of the steering
wheel.

http://www.motuk.co.uk/images/new_pa7.jpg

Reason for rejection
1. In Zone "A"
b. a Windscreen sticker or other obstruction encroaching more than 10mm

Wiper Blades
Wiper blades that park automatically in a position that obscures the view through the windscreen are subject to reason for rejection 1.
I'd guess that a centre park wiper doesn't encroach into Zone A so you should be fine.

eightvalver
30-01-10, 10:33 PM
[quote=Jack]
Afraid not chap

I had a clio once (pile of poo) And the rear wiper was not working and the blade was perished. So my ''Mecahanic'' friend told me to remove the wiper altogether and it will pass. So it did.:)

Then he said its the same with the windscreen etc etc....

Most saloon cars dont even have rear wipers so they become ''N/A'' Also, there are some cars without front wipers, or even windscreens for that matter. So what about those?

I dont wish to patronise you, Jack :( or take this debate to far off the original subject. You seem to know yor stuff!! I was just going by my own experience:thumb:

jakeufton
30-01-10, 10:41 PM
so as long as my wiper blade is not sitting in zone a when not in use i should be ok?

edit: sorry i read it again and it makes sense now lol

jakeufton
22-02-10, 10:56 PM
just to let you all know the nova passed its mot today !yay! the single wiper in the centre was not an issue. thanks for the reassurance guys:thumb:

Jon_nova1
22-02-10, 11:22 PM
What Jack said lol

you can take your rear wiper off though