PDA

View Full Version : Tyres

wwmnw
29-01-10, 11:45 PM
I need to buy two new tyres asap and I've seen some Toyo Proxes 195/50 R15 - 82V - T1R for £28.50 (£64 for 2 inc shipping), are these good tyres and worth the price? I think the price is fine but I've never used them. They're near £50 per corner on other sites.

L14MNP
29-01-10, 11:47 PM
Bargain. T1R's are very good IMO. Don't expect the soft compound to last too long though.

floydy13
29-01-10, 11:48 PM
thats a bargain mate and a good buy. stick really well in the sun. not as good as F1's in the wet though but at that price, go get them!

wwmnw
29-01-10, 11:49 PM
Guesstimate how long on a daily driver 14 mile round trip to work then social commuting on top of about 25 miles. I've no idea tbh, but I know I will buy them if they're worth it as I have 195/55 Nankangs on at the minute, sh!te is an understatement.

L14MNP
29-01-10, 11:50 PM
Chinese sh!t lol.

Knowing how long they will last depends on way to many factors. lol

wwmnw
29-01-10, 11:51 PM
Chinese sh!t lol.

Knowing how long they will last depends on way to many factors. lol

Fair point mate lol

Well next question, anyone ever used these http://www.topgear.co.uk/index.php as this is where I saw them (thanks to let_nova :))

let_nova
29-01-10, 11:52 PM
thats where i get all my tyres.

L14MNP
29-01-10, 11:52 PM
^ *too

lol

Ben
29-01-10, 11:55 PM
agree with limpbizkit good tyres but they are soft, i done a pair in after about 4-5 weeks wheras the uniroyals lasted a year.

wwmnw
29-01-10, 11:59 PM
4-5 weeks!?!?!?! Enthusiastic driving?

Ben
30-01-10, 12:01 AM
Same as i always drive and as said after i binned the toyo's i chucked some uniroyals on there as they were cheap at the time lol and they went on for over a year.

wwmnw
30-01-10, 12:04 AM
Hmmmm I suppose they would do for now seeing as they're cheap enough, will see how long they last.

let_nova
30-01-10, 12:05 AM
mine lasted months on the 1.4

wwmnw
30-01-10, 12:08 AM
Well they would go on the 1.2 at first, and that aint exactly powerful, so I'd imagine they'll last til I get the 1.6 in, cheers peoples :thumb:

L14MNP
30-01-10, 12:12 AM
I know a lad that knocked off a set of R888's in 4 weeks or so on his DC2. It's possible.

Also it doesn't mean he/Ben wore them out. Probs just fcuked the outside edges from hard cornering and roundabouts IMO. All good fun though.

Connor
30-01-10, 12:15 AM
i had a set of toyo proxie t1r's on for a month an half
completely went bold round the edge, was due to roundabouts
getting in the way of my journeys though lol
stuck some pirelli p600 as i got them free
and they dont stand close to the t1r's but
they lasted 10 months

NOVA-KID-93
30-01-10, 12:20 AM
haha, was going to put a thread up on these tyres other day, im getting a set of 4 off that site for my new wheels!!

+rep now i dont have to make the effort to make a thread lol

wwmnw
30-01-10, 12:31 AM
Woah, I put in 2 and its making me buy 4 :cry:

sparkie1401
30-01-10, 12:38 AM
i had these on my Type R they lasted and were a good tyre

Welsh Dan
30-01-10, 12:49 AM
Woah, I put in 2 and its making me buy 4 :cry:

If you're running a decent pair of tyres and a pair of ditchfinders, put the ditchfinders on the front!

wwmnw
30-01-10, 12:49 AM
Finally, done it and managed to get two, hopefully I wont regret this.

wwmnw
30-01-10, 12:52 AM
If you're running a decent pair of tyres and a pair of ditchfinders, put the ditchfinders on the front!

Really? I thought putting them on the driving wheels would be a better idea :confused:

Welsh Dan
30-01-10, 01:01 AM
So did I until I spun like a top...

Basically, with lots of grip up front you get confident, then the back steps out. In a FWD car you have no control over the back end if it steps out quickly. Putting them on the back will make no real improvement in the short term, you're less likely to spin thats all, but if you have to stagger the payments to buy 4, its the safest way.

wwmnw
30-01-10, 01:02 AM
Good idea and thanks for the tip :thumb:

Welsh Dan
30-01-10, 01:16 AM
You're welcome :thumb:.

Jack
30-01-10, 09:22 AM
I still don't agree with the "good tyres on back on FWD" theory.

I had mismatched tyres on my saloon, put the good ones on the back and it understeered so bad I was running circles somewhere round Voyager in the delta quadrant. Put the good ones on the front and yes, it was a little twitchy on the back but the worst that happened was a 90' turn to stop. Better that than being on full lock and ending up knocking down the American flag on the moon lol

Welsh Dan
30-01-10, 10:36 AM
I did a 360 degree spin at a busy junction at 15mph and nearly hit about three cars. Since then I preach that understeer is much much safer. If I'd have understeered at the same point, i'd have gently mated with the kerb if I hadn't recovered it by then.

sr jack
30-01-10, 10:39 AM
^ lol http://www.camskill.co.uk/ these are good for tyres aswell.

Adam
30-01-10, 10:46 AM
I did a 360 degree spin at a busy junction at 15mph and nearly hit about three cars. Since then I preach that understeer is much much safer. If I'd have understeered at the same point, i'd have gently mated with the kerb if I hadn't recovered it by then. You can control oversteer tho....? With opposite lock and the throttle.

If you are carrying enough speed you cant control understeer, you will just continue on in a straight line until youve lost enough speed to get your steering back.

In my old nova i had a big lift off oversteer moment on a damp roundabout, but managed catch it with opposite lock, yes i s**t myself after lol, but i would of gone backwards into the fence on the side of the road if i hadnt of caught it.

sr jack
30-01-10, 10:52 AM
You can control oversteer tho....? With opposite lock and the throttle.

If you are carrying enough speed you cant control understeer, you will just continue on in a straight line until youve lost enough speed to get your steering back.

In my old nova i had a big lift off oversteer moment on a damp roundabout, but managed catch it with opposite lock, yes i s**t myself after lol, but i would of gone backwards into the fence on the side of the road if i hadnt of caught it.

lol day ja vu i had lift off oversteer the other day because i went from events (widdow makers) to a pair of conti's on the front, so now if i corner fast the front doesn't understeer harly and the backend is doing the can can lol

Adam
30-01-10, 10:54 AM
That was the first time id ever had lift oversteer and it was scary as fcuk!!!

Now when it happens on track its rather funny lol lol

SR-Rally
30-01-10, 10:57 AM
Lift of oversteer is good fun when you do it on purpose somewhere save. It's when it catches you by surprise it gets the heart beating. I got brand new set toyo 21's to last me a night ;)

sr jack
30-01-10, 11:01 AM
That was the first time id ever had lift oversteer and it was scary as fcuk!!!

Now when it happens on track its rather funny lol lol

yer lol it caught me the first time but i had its card marked the next lol.

i hopefully will be doing a trackday in march so i have yet to see what its like.

Welsh Dan
30-01-10, 11:03 AM
You can control oversteer tho....? With opposite lock and the throttle.

You can if you have the space, I did give it full oppy lock as soon as it started to slide out, but the camber and slope didn't help. It was nearly brown trousers at the time, but after that I slid the back out for fun for a few hours before swapping the tyres over. I managed to frighten the life out of a mate of mine aswell lol.

Anyway, my point being, for normal driving having the good ones on the back is much safer. If you approach a bend at one billion miles an hour and don't make it because you understeer then its your own fault. If some old codger pulls out in front of you in the wet and you oversteer and lose control then you couldn't have planned for it, other than to swap the tyres over in the first place. :)

Stuart
30-01-10, 11:08 AM
KU31's ftw.

also goto tyre fitters and ask for prices for supply and fit... you might find its cheaper than just getting the tyres mail order and being robbed for fitting.

wwmnw
30-01-10, 02:05 PM
lollol @ SR Jack's rear end doing the can can, as for fitting, I think its £5 per wheel near me. Ordered them tyres anyway and I remembered the reason I was buying them, to put them on the front as I nearly got 3 points + £60 fine for the ones currently on the front (too wide, 195/55/15's)