PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic lifter cleaning

nova_saloon
29-01-10, 11:04 PM
Been thinking of cleaning the hydraulic lifters in my c20xe engine as its all apart and bits still havnt arrived so i cannot put it back together. What is the best way of going about this? Seen things saying give it a hard tap on a surface and pull out the centre piece. but arnt thoose quite hard to pull out? Best things to clean them with? Are there any oil seals in them? and should theese be replaced? :thumb:

mowgli
30-01-10, 09:52 AM
clamp it gently in a vice or a g clamp using a cloth to protect the surfaces. squeeze it a bit. then using a small screwdriver or similar, pop the small retaining ring off. then loosen the vice. the lifter will now come apart. then clean out the old oil. then have a good look at it. there aren't any seals, just tight tolerances.

use a non abrasive method of cleaning, maybe something like brake cleaner or petrol & get some oil back in when assembling them.

db_1.2
30-01-10, 10:18 AM
Howcome you dont get some new ones? I remember mine were £60, worth every penny if you ask me

mowgli
30-01-10, 10:23 AM
Howcome you dont get some new ones? I remember mine were £60, worth every penny if you ask me

or reconned in front of the telly for nowt???????? HMMMMMMM difficult decision......not

draper
30-01-10, 10:57 AM
Bugger buyin new when a few hours cleaning gives the same results lol

If you can I recommend leaving them to soak in thinners (or similar) for a few days aswell. It will help when you come to strip them down believe me

garethcolley
30-01-10, 11:36 PM
I just tap them firmly on a flat surface and the centre bit comes out. I'd leave them to soak as well and before you re-fit them have them in some warm oil and move the inner bit in and out so oil gets pumped through.

Also i'd much rather have some 90k old INA lifters that have been cleaned than some £60 new ebay or autosprint ones that start tapping after a day.

brainsnova
30-01-10, 11:40 PM
i got told to clean mine with diesel but i never tried it.

nova_saloon
31-01-10, 01:27 AM
or reconned in front of the telly for nowt???????? HMMMMMMM difficult decision......not

All about recon! Cheap is good on my pocket. But mowgli that small ring on the lifter itsself it looks delicate, do they break easily or get bent. Worried about breaking it because then i would have to go buy new bits :( :thumb:

db_1.2
31-01-10, 09:03 AM
Hmmmm good point!

Benn
31-01-10, 11:02 AM
I just tap them firmly on a flat surface and the centre bit comes out..

Just how i do it, hurts ya hand a bit but its a safe way.

Soke the main case in oil and push ya finger in the hole. You'll see the oil squirt out of the hole in the side, it will be dirty. But make sure it freely comes out as its the fill/drain hole.

Then check the center bit still moves by pushing it up and down with your fingers, then still in oil re fit the center to the main bit and re fit.

i got told to clean mine with diesel but i never tried it.

Derv will brake up an caked on harder oil and dirt. Much like engine flush does.

novaguy08
31-01-10, 11:10 AM
Gunk is supposed to be a good thing to use to clean them as well. think I was told to leave them soaking in gunk over night then take them out/apart clean them up with a cotton bud, put them back together then leave them soaking in some oil over night, next day re-fit and bobs you aunt.

Benn
31-01-10, 12:24 PM
I have to say, i'd only ever clean them with oil.

nova_saloon
31-01-10, 04:53 PM
Cheers for the advice guys. Anyone else with advice on taing the centre pump apart. Because that ring does look delicate? is it worth it? Hey Benn any meets anytime soon?

mowgli
31-01-10, 05:54 PM
Cheers for the advice guys. Anyone else with advice on taing the centre pump apart. Because that ring does look delicate? is it worth it? Hey Benn any meets anytime soon?

that bit is plenty strong enough. it is only there to hold it together until it is in the engine. then it doesn't do anything.

nova_saloon
01-02-10, 10:19 PM
that bit is plenty strong enough. it is only there to hold it together until it is in the engine. then it doesn't do anything.

Cheers mowgli, you have been much help! +rep for you :thumb: