PDA

View Full Version : Cut and Scratch

joeczucha
04-04-03, 02:38 PM
Hehe trying to debadge, gave it a bit too much cut and scratch and now the paint is a bit lighter in a small patches... anything i can do to get it a bit darker without respraying again? Its not too bad but i'm a perfectionist! J

Nova-Boy
04-04-03, 02:46 PM
When you say "cut and scratch" do you mean T-cut?

Thats what i was going to recommend using to get light faded patches around where your badge used to be to the original colour thats behind you badge.

Are you saying that you have used T-cut but taken too much off and thats why it is faded? If so i dont know what to do other than polish it up see if it helps :o

joeczucha
04-04-03, 04:41 PM
Yeah i think its taken away too much paint and the primer is beginning to show through so there is a light blue patch. At least, i'm PRETTY sure thats what it is but i'll investigate more tomorrow 8) J

mikeoxford
05-04-03, 12:43 AM
LOL

its cos under them badges is fresh (upto) 13 year old paint, whilst the rest of the car has been subject to sunlight for many moons

tcut will be fine

cutting compound in a mop even better

joeczucha
05-04-03, 04:31 PM
I thought it might be that, but its a lighter blue and almost looks like its gray showing through - i don't wanna use more T-CUT in case it gets worse! Have a look at this picture - its a bit hard to see but it might give you an idea...

http://www.novaload.net/forums/album_see.php?id=621

Also, i know it doesn't look much but it looks a bit stupid when the rest is perfect!

What you think? :roll:

J

Nova-Boy
05-04-03, 06:34 PM
Put a sticker over it like I did!! :lol: It dont look that bad in the pic. Try some colour restoration stuff if you know what i mean. Not polish but the stuff that is for a certain colours in your case blue! it wasn't as bead as i thought it would be!

mikeoxford
06-04-03, 04:26 AM
nova-boy is on about "colour-cut" rather than t-cut

joeczucha
06-04-03, 05:13 PM
got some halfords colouring polish but it did nothing... probably just coz its halfords but maybe i should try somethign else! any ideas? J

ade
06-04-03, 11:56 PM
Youre only 2 options are these.

1 - use a stuiker
2 - respray the lower section of the boot lid to the hard line just at the top of the lights.

Youve taken the paint far too back by "cutting it" - T-cut is designed to desolve dirt and gunk and once clean, it disolves a very thin layer of oxide. Hence its name - it cust paint back. Cut too much or rub too hard and youre left with a light patch.

Colour polish wont work either coz it only stains the top layer of paint and soon fades.

Mask off the boot and surrounding area (or remove boot from car by removing the pins and the rear washer wires (fiddley)), sand back using 800 grit (dry), degrease using white spirit get a can or two of the same colour paint and spray it evenly with 3 coats, allowing at least 5 mins between each coat. Allow to dry for 48 hours then carefully remove the masking. Allow to dry for a further week before gently cutting back using either gentle amounts of t-cut or similar rubbing compound.

If you use t-cut do this -

Apply a bit using a damp cloth. Apply evenly and allow to dry to a haze. Then remove with a clean cloth. Then polish using super resin polish. Then repeat process until smooth and shiney.

Ade