PDA

View Full Version : Offset steering colums and driving position

eightvalver
29-01-10, 09:20 PM
Ok, a bit wierd, but when i first got in a Nova i thought the steering colum was knackerd!! (slanted off towards the driver) and the clocks tend to be off to the left.

It took a bit getting use to driving, and even now i tend to sit a bit crooked in the seat:tard: althogh not in a bad way..

Has anyone else (even noticed?) or sufferlol from the same thing? and can anyone see why vauxhall did this in the first place...(every other car i have driven has a strait colum) whats the point:confused:

General Baxter
29-01-10, 09:21 PM
my mates take the piss out of my bent shaft :(

brainsnova
29-01-10, 09:22 PM
it never bothered me lol

eightvalver
29-01-10, 09:24 PM
my mates take the piss out of my bent shaft :(
lollollollol

Please accept my condolence

p.s. everytime i look at my bent shaft, i will be thinking of you;)

Rysee
29-01-10, 09:38 PM
A bent shaft can work the the advantage of all involved in the shafting

C2VXL
29-01-10, 10:08 PM
Ye i noticed this when pulling my out my shaft :) All jokes aside, i did notice it and thought there MUST be away to straighten it as now i know it's offset i'll be aware of it when driving. Guess the reason behind it is down to when your in a crash. Pressuming the columns aren't collapsable.

bazil
29-01-10, 10:12 PM
i dont know for sure but my GTE looks worse than the GSI :confused: are mk1 and mk2 just as squint?

C2VXL
29-01-10, 10:13 PM
Mines a MK1 and it's defo bent.

bazil
29-01-10, 10:16 PM
Mines a MK1 and it's defo bent.

yeah the GTE looks well out of place but with a momo wheel the GSI dont look to bad iirc

Lee
29-01-10, 11:28 PM
Ye i noticed this when pulling my out my shaft :) All jokes aside, i did notice it and thought there MUST be away to straighten it as now i know it's offset i'll be aware of it when driving. Guess the reason behind it is down to when your in a crash. Pressuming the columns aren't collapsable.
Nope. It was vauxhall doing a half assed job of converting them to RHD. Left hookers dont have this issue. Probably something to do with the angle the column has to come through to clear the pedals properly, as they used the same brake and clutch pedals and their supports from the lefty, so the space they left for the column to come through was at the wrong angle. (note classic part of driving a nova that if you steer with your foot on the clutch, you can feel the pedal touching the bottom of the column lol)

Just seems to me it was a rush job converting them, and a complete oversight when they were designing the corsa A. The brake setup is another example. Instead of fitting a nice top mounted servo like they did on the corsa, they just installed a 7 tonne axle from a truck so they could leave the servo where it was (perfect for a LHD). You'll notice there is a blanking plate for an opposite mounted servo, so obviously they designed the shell to enable the servo to be swapped but forgot there would be an engine in the way lol

I actually like stuff like that though. SHows the car was designed by people on a drawing board rather than by a machine. Thats what gives old cars soul IMO :)

John
29-01-10, 11:38 PM
Nope. It was vauxhall doing a half assed job of converting them to RHD. Left hookers dont have this issue. Probably something to do with the angle the column has to come through to clear the pedals properly, as they used the same brake and clutch pedals and their supports from the lefty, so the space they left for the column to come through was at the wrong angle. (note classic part of driving a nova that if you steer with your foot on the clutch, you can feel the pedal touching the bottom of the column lol)

Just seems to me it was a rush job converting them, and a complete oversight when they were designing the corsa A. The brake setup is another example. Instead of fitting a nice top mounted servo like they did on the corsa, they just installed a 7 tonne axle from a truck so they could leave the servo where it was (perfect for a LHD). You'll notice there is a blanking plate for an opposite mounted servo, so obviously they designed the shell to enable the servo to be swapped but forgot there would be an engine in the way lol

I actually like stuff like that though. SHows the car was designed by people on a drawing board rather than by a machine. Thats what gives old cars soul IMO :)

Agreed! :)

Jack
30-01-10, 09:36 AM
You mean the guys on the shop floor went OMFG we need to convert this to RHD... arrrgh, errrmm quick, weld an RSJ to the brake pedal. **** the steering column with a hammer! Its Ok, nobody will notice...