PDA

View Full Version : Rear coilover spring query

garethcolley
29-01-10, 01:51 PM
Im having some trouble with my rear coilovers which are short bodied GAZ. Im running 4" 350lb fronts and 6" 200lb rears.

When the car is jacked up and the damper is fully extended, the drivers side rear tyre is in contact with the spring and drags it when you try rotate the wheel. Im assuming this will be the same when the vehicle is on the ground as the spring platform is still at the same position. Currently the platform is inline with the sidewall (towards the bottom) and im thinking of trying to raise it up, thus moving the spring higher. Strange how its only one side, maybe tolerance stack up in the beam?

Would ditching my current 6" for a 4" equivalent in terms of spring rate solve my problem or do you think the car will bottom out all the time? I dont think 5-10mm spacers are reallly an option either as even with no arch lip there isnt much room. Wheels are TH's 15x6 (ET49) with Parada Spec IIs 195/50/15. The rears fairly low at the moment but i will be raising it 15mm. Ill try get a picture up of its current height as i know some people are running much lower.

MARTIN KELSON
29-01-10, 06:16 PM
Hi mate

I run Gaz rear coilovers with no problem.
I know what you mean about when its jacked up & at full travel being 'close' to tire.

You will be surprised how it moves away when you drop it from the jack onto the ground.

Drop it then stick your head under rear bumper & take a look, should be clear.....................Mine was!!!!

Adam
29-01-10, 06:18 PM
When i jack mine up the rear tyres also rub the spring.
Its fine when on the floor though, well it doesnt rub anyway....

As Martin said youd be suprised how much it moves.

garethcolley
29-01-10, 06:33 PM
Martin/Adam - Thanks for that, unfortunately due to space in my garage i cant get behind it and look under at the moment hence my conern. Hopefully it will be clear then. I was considering changing tyres aswell as the Parada Spec IIs are very bulgy.

MARTIN KELSON
29-01-10, 06:35 PM
You should be ok mate.
Let us know how you get on.

Martin

Lee H
29-01-10, 07:18 PM
Those springs sound far too short by the way, can't be much travel in them before they go coilbound.

My rears are 10" and fronts are 6" and there isn't much travel in the front ones with the weight of the car on them.

Rich
29-01-10, 07:28 PM
195/45/45 would be my tyre choice as well, every little helps in the novas small arches!

Lee H
29-01-10, 09:46 PM
195/45/45 would be my tyre choice as well, every little helps in the novas small arches!

45" rims will never fit on a Nova :eek:

The Simps
30-01-10, 12:10 PM
The THs are 7" wide aren't they? The et49 offset won't be helping you either.

As Lee has said a 4" front is VERY short! I'd be suprised if you'd have any shock travel left either. I was looking into running 5" on my loon but the shock was sat on its stop nearly at 6".

garethcolley
30-01-10, 11:22 PM
Lee/Simps - Yeh i agree they are very short, i don't think the rears will be much of a problem (at 6") as the spring rate is fairly high and there is next to no weight in the back.

One thing thats different with my setup compared to yours (correct me if i'm wrong) is the fact they are short bodied and my spring platforms are much higher up. With that in mind you cant compare the two setups exactly eg, what a 4" spring would be like on yours. I do however think ill end up going to a 6" especially if i start to get carried away on some country lanes. I think i might also end up dropping to 300lb fronts as im not up for hammering my strut tops every pothole. Pics of my current ride height on front:

Also Simps my TH's are 15x6j which is very fortunate!

http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq205/colley340/A-Reg%20Nova%20build/DSC01618.jpg

Thanks, Gareth

Lee H
30-01-10, 11:35 PM
Mine are short bodied shocks as well and the spring platform is about 4 threads off the top. However even with 6" springs (300lb) the coils are nearly touching with the weight of the car on it.

garethcolley
30-01-10, 11:41 PM
Mine are short bodied shocks as well and the spring platform is about 4 threads off the top. However even with 6" springs (300lb) the coils are nearly touching with the weight of the car on it.

Ah sorry Lee, didn't know you had the same. Well thats not great is it, whats yours like to drive, if you can remember lol? Does it just hit the bump stops all the time and how do your 300lbs fair on the road? Maybe i should look into getting 8" 350lb or 300lbs then??

Lee H
30-01-10, 11:44 PM
Its not that bad, just that I run mine too low really. Never bottoms out though like it used to all the time on the Avo's.

I only ran the 6" springs so the collar sat above the tyre but could get away with 7" springs now with the eccentric top mounts, just can't be bothered to change them.