PDA

View Full Version : AAAAAARGH! Broadband problem!!!!!

Big_Chap
29-01-10, 07:17 AM
Can someone please tell me why I can get 2.5meg connection on speedtest.net and as soon as I turn the ps3 on it drops to 0-10kbps!!!! EVERY FCUKIN TIME!!!! even when the ps3 is not physically connected and the internet connection option is switched off!!! I thought it could be interference or power surge etc so moved the router upstairs and it still happens!!! I recently changed to talktalk from aol and im starting to regret it BIG TIME!!! Our indian friends in the customer support centre are fcukin useless too!!!! 1st excuse was "this is the 14th day after going live and there is usually a migration problem which is fixed after the 15th day" on the "22nd day" I called and they said swap the microfilters over and give it 24hrs! Sometimes it works ok but can't understand this! Done it dozens of times so can't be a coincidence!

Phewww, first ever internet rant there....

Jack
29-01-10, 08:24 AM
Your PS3 is sucking up all your bandwidth.

Surprised? lol

novaguy08
29-01-10, 08:25 AM
Try disconnecting the PS3 from the physical line. Talktalk are renowned for being crap..... rip offs etc. as your having problems then you need to change somewhere else, if you didnt have this problem with AOL then it shouldn't be a problem with talktalk, as nothing will have changed at the exchange then it would be a problem at their end.

Try O2 they really quite good.

pikey1986
29-01-10, 05:33 PM
O2 do cheap deals if you or someone in the household have an ongoing contract with them iirc

novaguy08
29-01-10, 07:31 PM
7.50 a month iirc

bazil
29-01-10, 07:38 PM
7.50 a month iirc

yip £7.50 o2 = :thumb:

Stuart
29-01-10, 07:41 PM
£7.34 when i signed up... although the other half has canned her o2 contract now so I expect a price hike lol

bazil
29-01-10, 07:46 PM
i think its going back to 7.50 cos of the vat increase, iirc its £15 if you dont have a o2 phone but you still get the discount if you have a pay as you go phone, well my brother has it on a payg.

Lee
29-01-10, 07:46 PM
Its not your PS3, I can quite happily play CODMW2 with my PS3 connected to my PC via crossover sharing the internet connection coming in via a Tmobile dongle lol

Fair enough, i can only join 160ms ping games, but i dont get lag :)

Adam
29-01-10, 07:48 PM
Does it not hammer your 3g bandwidth usage??? /\

Lee
29-01-10, 07:50 PM
It hammers my fair use policy yes :( I tried getting a contract with Tmob with a 10gb FUP but my credit rating is less than great lol. Im stuck with 2gb at the mo on their pay by day dongle.

Adam
29-01-10, 07:56 PM
Oh right, im using vodafone 3g, 3gig usage.
Its to** :( :(
Ive been v.close to the limit quite a few times now, seeing as in my old place i was used to unlimited 8meg phoneline broadband lol

Anyway, back on topic.

Big_Chap
29-01-10, 08:07 PM
Your PS3 is sucking up all your bandwidth.

Surprised? lol

yeah but what about the bit when the ps3 is completely disconnected from the router and it still does it! It's frustrating because it was great for the first week but sh!te the last two!

sulphur
29-01-10, 08:27 PM
Problem with o2 broadband, is the BT landline. I refuse to pay it. Virgin are ok, customer service is ****, but the 8meg line and the unlimited usage is worth it. :thumb:

DAFTJOHN
29-01-10, 10:17 PM
If you take the PS3 off the DSL link is still slow? TBF all these residential suppliers are over contending the links and it's getting to the point where it's so slow or fair usage limits make it unusable.

Just read your post - has to be you copper line quality if it's getting that much noise on it from the PS3. The copper to you house the same but the frame in the jumpering in the exchange must've moved when you switched provider... it's the only variable

bazil
29-01-10, 10:19 PM
Problem with o2 broadband, is the BT landline. I refuse to pay it. Virgin are ok, customer service is ****, but the 8meg line and the unlimited usage is worth it. :thumb:

i cant get rid of my BT line, there are no other service providers in my village.

Big_Chap
29-01-10, 10:21 PM
If you take the PS3 off the DSL link is still slow? TBF all these residential suppliers are over contending the links and it's getting to the point where it's so slow or fair usage limits make it unusable

no, the speed is 2.5ish meg and the second the ps3 is turned on (even when not connected lan or wlan) it slows to 10kbps!

DAFTJOHN
29-01-10, 10:24 PM
i cant get rid of my BT line, there are no other service providers in my village.

I'll sell you a 10 mb Ethernet link...it'll cost you though:d

bazil
29-01-10, 10:28 PM
I'll sell you a 10 mb Ethernet link...it'll cost you though:d

Oooooh what the price on that lol

Jack
30-01-10, 09:30 AM
Just read your post - has to be you copper line quality if it's getting that much noise on it from the PS3. The copper to you house the same but the frame in the jumpering in the exchange must've moved when you switched provider... it's the only variable
Interesting, I'm thinking about changing my ISP to see if I can increase my speed.

fcuking BT did their 21CN network upgrade at my exchange and my speed went from 2.5mbps to 1mbps. Got an IP profile of ~4.5mbps. I looked on a review site which lists people's broadband speeds and there's a house further up the road from me who gets 2.5-4mbps :mad:

stroutsy
30-01-10, 10:23 AM
ive been having alot of trouble with mine lately from talktalk and yes your right the "indian friends" that call themselves simon wich blatently isnt their names..

DAFTJOHN
30-01-10, 02:42 PM
Carphone ware house, opal and talk talk have just moved alot of residential customers to the network and it's slowing it all down