PDA

View Full Version : Starting nova after 3 years stood

hendrix
28-01-10, 10:55 PM
As above, what things to look for really?
SR has been dry stored 3 years but thinking about maybe getting it running again. Needs the rear spring seats welding but what else is likely to need doing, stuff like wheel bearings etc?
:thumb:

Asa-James
28-01-10, 11:01 PM
if its been proper dry stored it shouldnt be too bad, spin the bearings up and see if they need swapping, turn the engine by hand and then just crank it if it hasnt been run iver the years, rear drums might need freeing off, but as you know theres not that much to go wrong on a nova.

just vaux trev
28-01-10, 11:02 PM
i just bought a gsi that aint been run for 4 yrs shell was shagged but fresh fuel and unblock fuel filter and prrrrrrr, depends on a lot of things,how dry its been,what cond it was in in the first place just go over it like you would do for pre mot

let_nova
28-01-10, 11:02 PM
pull HT lead off coil and turn it over ti get oil round the engine without it firing.

lol check oil aswell

comptoncj
28-01-10, 11:03 PM
When I first started my nova when it had been stood for about 4 years i drained the stale petrol out, took the plugs out and cranked the engine untill the oil light went off, put some fresh go go juice in put the plugs back in and away it went :P should have turned it by hand though to be safe.

amggsi
28-01-10, 11:10 PM
pull HT lead off coil and turn it over ti get oil round the engine without it firing.

lol check oil aswell

Maybe change oil as well before even cranking it.

My Sport had lay up for 10+ years before I got it, first thing I done was change the oil, then pulled the HT lead off, cranked it a few times, then let it rip!!lol

Once there was a bit of heat put through the oil, I changed it again.:thumb:

draper
28-01-10, 11:14 PM
youve got to dig it out the garage first lol

hendrix
28-01-10, 11:14 PM
cheers guys. was thinking that about the oil.
Its done epic mileage and used to use a bit of oil iirc

hendrix
28-01-10, 11:15 PM
lol draper, you can get to this one!!

burgo
28-01-10, 11:20 PM
other thing to check is that no of the fuel pipes have perished and split. in fact its probably a good idea to change them anyway

Southie
28-01-10, 11:25 PM
Also check for mice/rat droppings, you might have storaways on board lol They could have nibbled through the wires behind the dash.

Jon_nova1
28-01-10, 11:37 PM
definately turn it by hand first, i know someone that started a car after it hadn't been touched for 4 years and a loud crack emitted from the engine as it broke the seal that the oil had formed on the pistons and cylinders

Bubba
28-01-10, 11:42 PM
and check the brake lines!!

novalicous
29-01-10, 08:00 PM
check for cats living in there lol

mowgli
29-01-10, 08:22 PM
my mk1 was stood for about 6 years outside. I stuck the e16se engine out of my old car in, which had been stood for about 4 years outside, got it running on some fresh petrol & took it for a blast down a farm drive..

then a couple of years later, got it cleaned up, mot'ed & drove it to the national day.....

ok, i bought new tyres, swapped the fluids and put some 256 brakes on the front, but other than that, i didn't really do much

bazil
29-01-10, 08:29 PM
imo a timing belt would be a good idea too, :) whats a couple of quid on a belt against a new engine.

JordyzNova
30-01-10, 02:04 PM
id defo turn it over by hand especially this weather frozen water pumps are not good! then as said check everything that moves 1st wheels/tyres, brakes, wheel bearings etc

scott.parker
30-01-10, 02:53 PM
Umm im a rough **** i would just go start it, then worry if something brakes! lol

draper
30-01-10, 02:59 PM
Umm im a rough **** i would just go start it, then worry if something brakes! lol

+1 lol

Rob
30-01-10, 03:32 PM
put it back together first lol