PDA

View Full Version : Remove 1.2 Engine/Gearbox in one?

eightvalver
28-01-10, 07:09 PM
Ok,

Please forgive me if this has come up before, I was reading the Haynes and it states that it is not possable to remove the engine/box combo in one and it has to be done seperatly because of various clearence issues.... I allways thought you could

Forgot to ask, best way... out the top of the bay, or the bottom??

Can it be done:confused:

Benn
28-01-10, 07:10 PM
Yes it will lift out of the top in one lump. (and a xe will drop in from the top with the box on too)

burgo
28-01-10, 07:15 PM
it is generally regarded as being easier to drop it all out of the bottom though

Benn
28-01-10, 07:17 PM
I don't think it is, neither do alot of people. But..

John
28-01-10, 07:18 PM
I don't think it is, neither do alot of people. But..

I disgaree, it's loads easier out of the bottom!

Benn
28-01-10, 07:19 PM
We shouldn't start this again. But i've done it both way and found there's more stuff to get the engine worked around from the bottom.

John
28-01-10, 07:24 PM
With the eng and box bolted together, it's physically wider than the hole you have. it lifts straight onto the mounts from underneath.

Benn
28-01-10, 07:28 PM
No it's not. You just angle the box down, it slides under the chassis then you level it out on to the mounts. I've done all bar one engine change in mine from the top. From the bottom the rack catches, you have to remove the tie bars.
Plus getting the car right up that high can (and have seen it loads) be very unsafe..

John
28-01-10, 07:29 PM
No it's not. You just angle the box down, it slides under the chassis then you level it out on to the mounts. I've done all bar one engine change in mine from the top. From the bottom the rack catches, you have to remove the tie bars.
Plus getting the car right up that high can (and have seen it loads) be very unsafe..

I'm going to agree to disagree. How'd you do it if you haven't got a crane?

Benn
28-01-10, 07:34 PM
Yes, its all down to the owner/fitters choice, everyones different, Craig hates me when i say fit it from the top..lol

I'd rent one, they can be picked up for about 15-25 quid for the weekend.
Really makes life much easier.

burgo
28-01-10, 07:34 PM
even with a crane i take it out the bottom. i lower the engine down and then usually put the crane on the towing eye and up the car goes :D perfectly safe

John
28-01-10, 07:35 PM
even with a crane i take it out the bottom. i lower the engine down and then usually put the crane on the towing eye and up the car goes :D perfectly safe

I'm with you fella! :)

eightvalver
28-01-10, 07:36 PM
:poh what have i started

Guess ill try it from the top, AND the bottom then ill let you know which was easier:d

burgo
28-01-10, 07:37 PM
it depends why you are removing it

Benn
28-01-10, 07:41 PM
I just don't get if you have a crane on it, why not just lift it out...

*I know i'll be out voted.

Paul
28-01-10, 08:46 PM
I have done an XE from the top before, and personally I thought it was a nightmare.

From the bottom every time now.

Just my experience /\

w88rdy
28-01-10, 09:11 PM
I always do them from the bottom,never caught the rack once but always remove tie bars etc goes straight onto mounts and away i go bolting everything up again , Ive took out 5 since xmas all in novas lol

Plug
28-01-10, 09:16 PM
out the bottom FTW

1.3sr_kane
28-01-10, 09:19 PM
DISC CUTTER FTW!!!! LOL:thumb: :thumb:

General Lee
29-01-10, 04:06 PM
do the tie bars have to come off, can the engine not manouvre round them

burgo
29-01-10, 04:35 PM
do the tie bars have to come off, can the engine not manouvre round themyou only need to take one side off. i usually take the passenger side off as there is less play in the shaft

General Lee
29-01-10, 05:09 PM
you only need to take one side off. i usually take the passenger side off as there is less play in the shaft

great thats made my job alot easier tomorow.