PDA

View Full Version : Z22SE what can you tell me??

savs_redtop
28-01-10, 06:25 PM
Does anybody know if this engine has been put in a nova before?? Ive tried to search this but couldnt find a great deal.
I might be able to pick one of the engines up quite cheap so I thought it was worth asking a few questions before hand and weighing up options before I buy an engine for my project, im not to fussed in wiring because whatever I buy it will be run on bike carbs or TBs, but its things like mounts?? gearbox?? driveshafts?? and any other problems you may know.

any help much appreciated.

thanks

sav

let_nova
28-01-10, 06:29 PM
horrible engine. i will sell you a very good XE lol just to be different.

savs_redtop
28-01-10, 06:32 PM
horrible engine. i will sell you a very good XE lol just to be different.

lol, do you have a very good XE for sale?? or was that a joke?

let_nova
28-01-10, 06:35 PM
pmd

youngcorsakeenan
28-01-10, 06:39 PM
i'm know not a 2.2 but an ecotec tis interesting...... http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f17/ecotec-tuning-made-easy-43840/
Click the first three pdf format files in the first post;)

comptoncj
28-01-10, 07:38 PM
The only problem with the 2.2 that i know of is timing chain issues, theyre not a bad engine and very tunable not sure how one would go in a nova as theyre the same sort of power as a 20xe but I would think heavier. Might be wrong though :)

Stuart
28-01-10, 09:05 PM
the chain problems are cured with a new chain kit.... no more expensive than a cambelt that you'd fit to an engine at 40K anyway.

Inlet is on the other side of the head, lovely :)

You will have to go for aftermarket management (for either fuel and spark, or spark + carbs) as its an electronic throttle body setup, and swap the TB for one from the USA.

They supercharge easily, std rods are rated to 250bhp (note that it takes 280bhp at the pistons to see 250bhp at the flywheel), pistons are rated to 300bhp.
The valvetrain can cope with 7K rpm and thats about it before needing to be uprated fro stuff from the likes of allecotec and jbodies in the USA.
With the stroke being massive they dont like to rev so ITB's etc are largely pointless and imho they dont make enough noise to make them horny either lol.

GREAT engine though, ok 140bhp as std, but they have as much torque as a 200bhp ITB'd XE :)

google for the GM sport compact build manual for more naughty ideas. also the Cobalt SS forum is a great source of tuning ideas, and ofcourse the z22se forum is good (vockys N/A build is great but funk me hes had to spend a lot to get there)

savs_redtop
28-01-10, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the help, that is more information than I expected lol, it really sounds alot more hastle than its actually worth, still would be good to see one though
After speaking to a few people I think ive got my mind made up on engine. :)

Johnny A
28-01-10, 09:32 PM
I'd love the Eaton supercharged version from the states

Stuart
28-01-10, 09:36 PM
I'd love the Eaton supercharged version from the states

Heatons suck balls.. the Harrop TVP is way better ;)

oh and the S/C from the USa is the LSJ as a 2.0L, the L61 (z22se) in the USA is still non supercharged as std

Johnny A
28-01-10, 09:47 PM
Really, owned one?? No didn't think so. They generate a similar level to heat as a turbo so you saying those are crap too??

Stuart
28-01-10, 09:52 PM
harrop TVP is much more efficient, meaning less heat, so less cooling required and better power/driveability etc.... not saying turbos are crap (as there is little that can be done about those in terms of heat generated) but with S/C's the hEaton isnt the be all and end all. Infact in the US the hEaton gets taken off and replaced with a turbo or harrop :)

Rotrex FTW over both S/C's imho :)

Johnny A
28-01-10, 10:13 PM
The Harrop blowers are just modified Gen6 Eatons from what I can gather using 4 lobes (gen 6) instead of the traditional 3 lobes (Gen 1-5).

They are much better are reducing heat generation which is cool as I prefer roots boost-delivery over the centrifugal design (Rotrex for example), even though the centrifugal generates the least heat.

Thing is if I had the money I would jump on a Gen6/Harrop but my M90 Gen4 cost me £50 and another £30 for a rebuild kit. The unit is self contained and an FMIC handles the heat generation as per a turbo setup. So IMO £80 is fair sacrifice for the extra heat.... not to mention the NOISE!!

Trouble is there is a fair amount of supercharger talk on here which is fine, but a lot of people seem to love bashing the Eaton even though its a great compromise between cost Vs heat and the best boost delivery.

vx kev
29-01-10, 05:57 PM
Worth mentoning too as the engine is of all alloy cast it should actually lighter than an xe! A super charged one would be the way forward!
It has been done in a corsa before, was a total vauxhall feature so worth a gander :thumb: