PDA

View Full Version : 20SEH into Nova - Wiring??

eightvalver
27-01-10, 08:13 PM
Ok, as you probably can see, this is my first post! I feel a bit of a tw@t asking you lot on my first post but...:roll: (brace yourselves):wtf:

Basically, i have an old Cav SRi which i have started to break up, and i am getting the engine out of it (20SEH) to eventually put into my new (1990 Nova) i recently got witch is a 1.2 (on carb) Well, i like to plan well in advance and i am taking my time disconnecting everything from the Cavalier and are currently trying to understand how it will tie in with the Nova wiring.

Ok, after some digging i found the wiring diagram for the XE on here which i found very helpful to begin with, but found there were some differences with SEH loom, and then it started to confuse the hell out of me:confused::confused::confused: :cry:

Basically, i have unplugged most of the plugs to the engine and have which i think is the fuel pump relay and dash signal plugs, on one end, then i have the injector conecctors with a plug coming off the far end which go's to the coil, on this wire i think there is a switched live?? sigle pin female socket wich plugs back into the male which comes off the back of block loom (starter motor etc) on the end of that loom is the big round multi plug which i think is connected to the car loom? Well, jst before that multiplug is the actual positive battery terminal onto which is also connected the ECU positive (small ring connector) But none of this shows on the XE diagram.

Does anyone know what to do, or is there a diagram for it?

Sorry to be a confusing pain:mad:, please help!!!:thumb::thumb: Thanks!!

mowgli
27-01-10, 08:43 PM
hi, welcome to png.... you will do ok on here as you don't text type....

i have a brand new unused manual for a cav mk2 including 20seh, you can have it for a tenner posted....

or I can probably have a gander at the basic efi wiring...

basically, you use the nova wiring for the starter, radfan, and the oil & temp sensors. the efi should have its own loom, which will have connections for:
a +ve battery feed
an ignition positive
a warning light wire
a rev counter wire

and not a lot else.

eightvalver
27-01-10, 09:18 PM
Thanks mowgli!
That sounds a bit too easy... still a bit confused though!:confused:

I allready have a haynes, but cant make any sense of the diagrams:tard:

So i use the original nova wiring for the Starter, oil and temp sensors and the rad fan. (Fanswitch?) and what about the Alternator?

As for the EFI loom, i connect the small ring connector to + side of the Nova's battery, to give it power?- (+feed?)

What is the ignition posative? is that the small single pin socket that comes off the rail just before the coil plug? (the one connected to the starter loom at the back of the block on the Cav) i am guessing this has to be wired to the + side of batt to swich on/off the ECU via ignition?

On the other end, i just splice the wires from the dash signal plugs into the corresponding nova dash - rev counter, warning lights etc..?

And then the fuel pump - i see the thickest red/blue wire on the relay, but cant see where the wire goes to the pump on my Cav?? if it does??

forgot to say, its a MK3 cav with Motronic ECU.

Would be grateful if you could clear that up for me!!:thumb:

thnx!!

mowgli
27-01-10, 09:42 PM
Thanks mowgli!
That sounds a bit too easy... still a bit confused though!:confused:

I allready have a haynes, but cant make any sense of the diagrams:tard:

So i use the original nova wiring for the Starter, oil and temp sensors and the rad fan. (Fanswitch?) and what about the Alternator? yes keep the nova alt wires

As for the EFI loom, i connect the small ring connector to + side of the Nova's battery, to give it power?- (+feed?) yes

What is the ignition posative? is that the small single pin socket that comes off the rail just before the coil plug? (the one connected to the starter loom at the back of the block on the Cav) i am guessing this has to be wired to the + side of batt to swich on/off the ECU via ignition? the ignition positive is the one from the ign switch to the coil, connect the black wire

On the other end, i just splice the wires from the dash signal plugs into the corresponding nova dash - rev counter, warning lights etc..? the warning lights are just connected up using the nova engine warning light wires,
the rev counter connects to the green wire from the nova coil

And then the fuel pump - i see the thickest red/blue wire on the relay, but cant see where the wire goes to the pump on my Cav?? if it does?? you feed it thru the dash under the carpet and out the hole where the fuel sender wire goes

forgot to say, its a MK3 cav with Motronic ECU. same as mk2 seh

Would be grateful if you could clear that up for me!!:thumb:

thnx!!

:thumb: