PDA

View Full Version : what is a remote turbo kit?

stroutsy
27-01-10, 08:08 PM
http://www.cartuningtips.com/149-remote-turbo-kits im not sure what it is if any one can enlighten me

db_1.2
27-01-10, 08:13 PM
Lmao, its where the backbox goes!

Seen a guy do it on an e30, thats if it is what i think it is

stroutsy
27-01-10, 08:29 PM
what so a turbo goes on your back box wtf?!! confused even more

burgo
27-01-10, 08:32 PM
there was one on 205 in ppc aswell. they apparently work really well which is weird

dontliftdrift
27-01-10, 08:32 PM
its a remote control turbo

stroutsy
27-01-10, 08:33 PM
yeah but how , a turbo is for forcing air into the engine wtf ??

db_1.2
27-01-10, 08:34 PM
there was one on 205 in ppc aswell. they apparently work really well which is weird

SAY WWWHAAAAAAAAAT!

That just throws everything ive ever learnt (which isnt a lot!) about turbos out the window!

db_1.2
27-01-10, 08:35 PM
yeah but how , a turbo is for forcing air into the engine wtf ??

Do you know how a turbo works? Not taking the p*ss

stroutsy
27-01-10, 08:36 PM
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachments/technical-stuff/31726d1216789323-remote-mounted-turbochargers-m5-remote-turbo.jpg i dont really see the point in this

mowgli
27-01-10, 08:36 PM
basically it was invented on corvettes.. there isn't enough room to fit 2 turbos under the grp bonnet & not have a fire. so they stuck them under the back end and used long oil feed & return pipes, they also claim the long length of the pipes acts a bit like an intercooler......

now my problem with them is there must be enormous lag issues.....

but yanks only really do drag racing & its most likely ok for that....

the reasons why its a crap idea for use on a road car in the uk are many....

the turbo would be next to the fuel tank

if an oil pipe broke, you wouldn't notice it until all the oil had gone

trying to run 2 pipes up the centre tunnel

where would you put the air filter & afm?

driving thru a puddle would probably crack the housing

stroutsy
27-01-10, 08:38 PM
Do you know how a turbo works? Not taking the p*ss yes i know how a turbo works its forced induction im not an idiot i jus dont get why you put it by a back box?

burgo
27-01-10, 08:38 PM
its a remote control turbo

not that helpful are you?

SAY WWWHAAAAAAAAAT!

That just throws everything ive ever learnt (which isnt a lot!) about turbos out the window!

it is true that the idea is to get the exhaust gasses to the turbo asap and therefore you would expect a remote turbo to be laggy as hell. but providing you size the turbo properly they are no laggy than a conventional set up

db_1.2
27-01-10, 08:39 PM
AFM would go normal place surely?

The massive lag issue was my main concern, and oil pressure could also be another issue

However the lag can be altered by the width of the exhuast....

stroutsy
27-01-10, 08:40 PM
basically it was invented on corvettes.. there isn't enough room to fit 2 turbos under the grp bonnet & not have a fire. so they stuck them under the back end and used long oil feed & return pipes, they also claim the long length of the pipes acts a bit like an intercooler......

now my problem with them is there must be enormous lag issues.....

the turbo would be next to the fuel tank

if an oil pipe broke, you wouldn't notice it until all the oil had gone

trying to run 2 pipes up the centre tunnel

where would you put the air filter & afm?

driving thru a puddle would probably crack the housing http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachments/technical-stuff/31726d1216789323-remote-mounted-turbochargers-m5-remote-turbo.jpg if you look in this pic there is no air filter its attatched to one of the back box pipes ????????????

db_1.2
27-01-10, 08:42 PM
Air filter goes back up through the body mate

mowgli
27-01-10, 08:43 PM
Air filter goes back up through the body mate

so no spare wheel either then

burgo
27-01-10, 08:43 PM

now my problem with them is there must be enormous lag issues.....thats down to sizing you turbo correctly

the turbo would be next to the fuel tank - a simple heat shield will sort this

if an oil pipe broke, you wouldn't notice it until all the oil had gone - this is true but then thats no different to an oil pipe breaking on a conventional set up

trying to run 2 pipes up the centre tunnel - no different to having internal brake/fuel lines

where would you put the air filter & afm? - using an afm is a pain in the **** but still possible. making a proper air box will make it weather proof

driving thru a puddle would probably crack the housing - again really not difficult to shield it from ;)

also i would use a separate oil system similar to the way diffs sometimes run a pump and cooler

burgo
27-01-10, 08:44 PM
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachments/technical-stuff/31726d1216789323-remote-mounted-turbochargers-m5-remote-turbo.jpg if you look in this pic there is no air filter its attatched to one of the back box pipes ????????????could you please stop replying as you clearly dont have a clue

stroutsy
27-01-10, 08:48 PM
erm i posted this and could you please stop replying get out of my post

mowgli
27-01-10, 08:49 PM
;)

the two pipes are the exhaust & the pressure air feed pipe.......

how does 9 ft of piping affect the turbo lag... when you press the throttle, it has a lot further to go

the heat shielding would have to be so comprehensive that the turbo would be running really hot all the time (much hotter than normal)

when an oil pipe breaks in the engine bay, you can smell it & see the blue smoke etc... if its under the back, you simply won't see it....

basically on a nova, it just doesn't add up... so many people have stuck a turbo under the bonnet & made it work fine

Stuart
27-01-10, 08:49 PM
Burgo is adding useful info, rather than you (stroutsey) looking at pics and purely guessing without getting off your ass and simply using google or wikipedia for a basic understanding of the concept.

burgo
27-01-10, 08:50 PM
erm i posted this and could you please stop replying get out of my posthmmm that you did ok in that case i surgest you read what i have already posted as i shall now stop telling you how they work as you have requested ;)

stroutsy
27-01-10, 08:50 PM
you know what youve really pissed me off, "can i stop replying" the ****ing cheek of it, who do you think you are. i posted this and im just being inquisetive as im really confused and still learing about all this stuff, youve gotta start somewhere, if you really have a problem with that dont bother replying as your not helping at all .

mowgli
27-01-10, 08:53 PM
stroutsy, why do you think that there is only one car in the uk with this conversion, a pug 205,....?????

cos it is a shoite concept and thus not worth doing when weighed up against the normal method

stroutsy
27-01-10, 08:54 PM
stroutsy, why do you think that there is only one car in the uk with this conversion, a pug 205,....?????

cos it is a shoite concept and thus not worth doing when weighed up against the normal method what are you on about a 205 i didnt post that?

db_1.2
27-01-10, 08:56 PM
Lmao, epic thread!

However, strousy, get a good idea of how a turbine works on an internal combustion engine mate, then the picture will become a bit clearer for you :)

Stuart
27-01-10, 08:57 PM
READ THE ****ING THREAD YOU RETARD!!!!!

You asked what a remote turbo setup is all about, you got answers but clearly didnt read them and then start posting BS assumptions about things and get pissy when you get told otherwise. Get off your high horse

burgo
mowgli being as you seem interested in learning how these systems can work you have a pm ;)

db_1.2
so no spare wheel either then

Probably not! Seems like a crap idea if you ask me, i had enough lag on my 300zx, and those turbos were right next to the engine!

mowgli
what are you on about a 205 i didnt post that?

i never said you did....

there is only the pug 205 somebody converted & that is it.........

sticking a turbo right next to the manifold is by far the best method of doing a turbo conversion.......thats why all the vehicle manufacturers in the world do it

db_1.2
27-01-10, 08:59 PM
;)

also i would use a separate oil system similar to the way diffs sometimes run a pump and cooler

Was thinking the same thing, leccy job on a 7/8 row cooler

Jack
27-01-10, 09:14 PM
The main reason I can see that you'd want a remote turbo is if there's no room in the engine bay to mount the blower/s on the exhaust manifolds. You'll note in the pic that was posted earlier in the thread that the car has a shortened exhaust, the chargers are ahead of the rear axle - probably to keep them away from the fuel tank and reduce the length of all the piping required.

Placing them at the back there also keeps them cooler rather than picking up all the hot air from the radiators at the front.

As said, its an obvious choice to use an independent oil supply as well.

burgo
27-01-10, 09:15 PM
http://www.balancemotorsport.co.uk/main.asp?category=Project+Car

proof is in the pudding and your need to forget the old skool thinking of the only way of big power is low comp big pressure ;)

db_1.2
27-01-10, 09:40 PM
http://www.balancemotorsport.co.uk/main.asp?category=Project+Car

proof is in the pudding and your need to forget the old skool thinking of the only way of big power is low comp big pressure ;)

Did you see peak power? If not it was 179bhp @ 0.5bar, but it would be very interesting to see a graph

burgo
27-01-10, 09:46 PM
Did you see peak power? If not it was 179bhp @ 0.5bar, but it would be very interesting to see a graph

yes i saw that and concidering he has done literally funk all else i think a 58bhp increase on just 0.5 bar is funking impressive

CoolTiger
27-01-10, 11:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnFA93_U9hY
watch and learn pretty much nothing lol

db_1.2
27-01-10, 11:21 PM
yes i saw that and concidering he has done literally funk all else i think a 58bhp increase on just 0.5 bar is funking impressive

I thought so, but like i said, would be interesting to see a graph

Jack
28-01-10, 12:24 AM
Be interesting to see how that 205 would compare to having the same size blower installed in the usual place. Although I guess with the 205 having the engine in back to front means you'd probably need to chop the bulkhead up lol