PDA

View Full Version : Fibreglass Panels

spunkeymonkey
27-01-10, 07:32 PM
Hi, just a quick question, where is the chepest place to get fibreglass bonnet and boot and how much? and also a scooby air intake for the bonnet to get more air to the carbs:thumb:

matt_vaughan
27-01-10, 07:57 PM
AG Motorsport. They are on ebay but also have a site.

Clicky (http://www.agmotorsport.co.uk/index.php?cPath=10&TeKnoID=6acd6142c195d64018ea70304cae601f)

mr5050
27-01-10, 10:37 PM
i think they are the only people supplying them atm. look pretty good though, getting some myself to, group buy!!! he might do a bit cheaper if we buy 10 items at once!

Iain
27-01-10, 11:38 PM
Eurorallye items are good quality and he's willing to post. Mine was damaged in the post but he was happy to replace.

AG Motorsport do more choices (X strengthening/full strengthening on the bonnet, mk2 style or smooth style tailgate) but he's not willing to post as they get damaged easily.

I believe Pro-Tec and Magnum also sell fibreglass bonnets, and maybe tailgates.

djbrowney
27-01-10, 11:59 PM
i need wings and doors :(

spunkeymonkey
28-01-10, 06:41 PM
Can you get fibreglass doors? are they road legal?
yeah AG motorsport was where i was looking but i have also found grpracing.co.uk and they do Nova and Corsa pannels, that was where i got my wings from

Iain
28-01-10, 08:35 PM
Nice site! Pair of "fibre-kevlar" Nova wings for £80 - are they standard shape wings? Is Kevlar heavier or lighter than fibreglass?

spunkeymonkey
28-01-10, 08:48 PM
slghtly heavier i think but alot stronger, and they are made with standard moulds so they have got all the mounts to, they just need the holes drilled

nova-taken
28-01-10, 09:07 PM
yeah AG motorsport was where i was looking but i have also found grpracing.co.uk and they do Nova and Corsa pannels, that was where i got my wings from

should think fibreglass doors are road worthy mate, after all most super cars are mostly made from the stuff

spunkeymonkey
28-01-10, 09:09 PM
yeri guess, i hadnt thought bout it but i am going to get new doors so if they are then i would get fibreglass ones instead

peester
28-01-10, 09:11 PM
does sound quite dudey these kevlar things.. wonder if the fit and finish is good..

paul james
28-01-10, 09:14 PM

Thats a very interesting site, they even do doors!

Have you got any pics of the wings you bought? are they mk1 or mk2?

spunkeymonkey
28-01-10, 09:34 PM
mine are mk1, i dont know if they do mk2 but i would have thought they did, i dnt know about the finish from stadard because mine where second handbut i am going to buy my boot from there so i will let you know as soon as i know and as for fit they have all the standard lips they just need the holes drilled, i will get some picks at the weekend and i amfitting them then aswell so i will get pics of both, and yer might be getting some doors aswell

paul james
28-01-10, 09:55 PM
nice one dude, my Nova is a Mk1 so thats good to know they make mk1 wings. Looking forward to seeing those pics, could I be cheeky and also suggest you weigh them? to compare against the weight of standard steel ones.

Isn't kevlar used in bullet proof vests and such - we could have bullet-proof Novas!

spunkeymonkey
28-01-10, 10:01 PM
yer it is, sounds like a plan, we should make an army of bulletproof novas, i will weigh them, i dont actually know if they will be much lighter but they where the same price and i didnt have to worry bout picking them up or postage as i was already at the meet

Mike B GTE
29-01-10, 12:09 PM
sorry to go slightly of topic, but this saves my making another rubbish thread.

See with a fibreglass tailgate, can you still use the rear glass or should you really get a perspex / polycarb number??

Paul
29-01-10, 12:21 PM
Maybe interested if they do them in:

wings, doors, bonnet & tailgate

mayhem
29-01-10, 02:26 PM
yeri guess, i hadnt thought bout it but i am going to get new doors so if they are then i would get fibreglass ones instead

i want them doors too, but i'd fit a rollcage with doorbars though...

if a car hits you, a metal door would dent... with these i think you'd end up with a hole in the door lol

MK999
29-01-10, 02:32 PM
sorry to go slightly of topic, but this saves my making another rubbish thread.

See with a fibreglass tailgate, can you still use the rear glass or should you really get a perspex / polycarb number??

I'd be spending the money on polycarbs before the tailgate tbh, Probably a better weight reduction for less money (per window at least) Even if you did do it the other way round, after spending £100+ on a tailgate spending a bit on a sheet of polycarb and cutting a window out DIY wouldn't cost that much at all in comparison, and well worth doing if you're looking at weight saving.

MK999
29-01-10, 02:42 PM
i want them doors too, but i'd fit a rollcage with doorbars though...

if a car hits you, a metal door would dent... with these i think you'd end up with a hole in the door lol

It's something of a misconception that fibreglass = death when crashed into, any FRP material is made up of a lot of incredibly strong fibres, I recently watched a 19x1mm cross section of carbon fibre break in a stress testing machine, it broke at around 6 tonnes of pressure (It was a Uni-directional composite as opposed to weave, your average everyday weave would take around 2-3 tonnes roughly, UD should explain itself as a term but I'm sure it's on the interwebs somewhere for a full explanation, not gonna go into it here) Now what this means in a crash is, yes it splits up and shatters and goes everywhere and it looks very brittle and weak, but actually what it does while splitting apart is absorb a LOT of energy.

This is one of the the reasons why an F1 car going straight into a barrier at 3 digit speeds watches the driver walk away afterwards. It does depend a lot in the way it's loaded, as that same piece of CF mentioned earlier could have been snapped by hand if loaded across the fibre direction rather than along it. It's always a good idea to have a cage if you're planning to hit something, but the damage caused past the door with an FRP and a steel skin would be pretty similar if not better for the FRP imo. If you've ever compared pics of a nova that's crashed at 20 and at 60 into something side on, the pics look scarily similar because it's normally the chassis leg/seat assembly etc that stops it rather than the ridiculously thin just about single skin doors.

/essay over lol

spunkeymonkey
29-01-10, 11:59 PM
i no what you mean about the polycarbs, and i want to run them too, but as i am getting it sprayed as soon as i have the panels together, i can live without the polycarbs till a later date, and i believe that the origional wndow woud fit but i am not 100%, email them or give them a ring to find out if not mate

garethcolley
30-01-10, 11:30 PM
Where are these pics? I wanna see the quality of yours mate.

matt_vaughan
01-02-10, 04:51 PM
I'm very intersted too. Going to need to replace doors soon, was just going to re-skin and strip but those prices are very tempting.

matt_vaughan
02-02-10, 02:51 PM
I've emailed them asking a few questions about wings etc etc

Also asked for some piccies to post on here let you all see the build quality.

boffer8
26-02-10, 09:21 AM
I know this will probably be really hard to sort but would it be worth considering a group buy of a few of there products (doors, wings, boots bonnets etc) to see if we could get prices down a little more?

Id be willing to organise it so long as you all trust me :d

How many people would be interested?

let_nova
26-02-10, 09:24 AM
i would be in doors

matt_vaughan
26-02-10, 09:40 AM
Right guys I got an email back from them ages ago, forgot about this thread.

They can supply everything I asked about, which I think was the following:

- Doors
- Wings
- Bumpers
- Tailgates
- Bonnets

It's all in a kevlar/grp mixture, very strong yet still very light.

Cant remember whether they said anything about a group buy/special "Road" package, as their 'kit' has loads of bits for oval racing included which we wouldn't be interested in.

I'll dig out the email when I get back to college on monday, where my other PC is.

Edd
26-02-10, 09:51 AM
I'd be interested in doors and a tailgate

mayhem
26-02-10, 10:06 AM
i first want to know how those doors handle higher speeds....

mine is still a roadcar, i have no need for a door that cant handle wind at higher speed (bending/opening a bit etc)

twin40s
26-02-10, 12:17 PM
Want an early mk1 fibreglass tailgate the one with no handle.

C2VXL
26-02-10, 04:58 PM
I'd be interested in Bonnet, Boot and Front Wings.

djbrowney
26-02-10, 08:47 PM
i defo want the doors, wings and back bumper please !

Iain
06-03-10, 08:21 PM
Looks like there's a new supplier of fibreglass panels, does tailgates etc but also does wings in standard width?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PAIROF-LIGHTWEIGHT-FIBREGLASS-VAUXHALL-NOVA-FRONT-WINGS_W0QQitemZ260562775058QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_C arsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3caac06c12

novait
07-03-10, 09:57 AM
ive been looking in to getting some new panles, id be up for mk1 front wings and doors :D

mayhem
07-03-10, 10:57 AM
who's going to try the doors? lol

novarally
30-05-10, 02:30 PM
Oldish topic, but has anybody taken the plunge and bought some composite doors from this place?

I'd like to know what they're like........