PDA

View Full Version : Makes you think....

Mike
27-01-10, 07:12 PM
Makes you think

http://elementalsblog.blogspot.com/2009/11/revealed-50-oil-tankers-loitering-off.html

Nearly 12 months old, but this to :(

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1168326/Tankers-oil-anchored-Devon-coast-waiting-world-prices-rise.html

burgo
27-01-10, 08:02 PM
that takes the piss

novaguy08
27-01-10, 08:08 PM
And oil companies say that its because of the TAX

sr jack
27-01-10, 08:53 PM
Mugs!

wwmnw
27-01-10, 09:41 PM
They'll have to unload when they start running short of food, how much food do these ships carry and how many people are on board, takes the ****ing piss like, petrol is already £1.08 up here and another thing that really pisses me off, is the £1.08p.99, greedy cunts.

John
27-01-10, 09:43 PM
They'll have to unload when they start running short of food, how much food do these ships carry and how many people are on board, takes the ****ing piss like, petrol is already £1.08 up here and another thing that really pisses me off, is the £1.08p.99, greedy cunts.

They could stay there for years! Supplies are coptered over. Whilst at devon cliffs holiday park last autumn, we counted 8 supertankers docked off shore.

Edd
fuel prices have been on the for a few months now including vat rise but its not in the news atm :confused:

Mike

Crew of 14 to about 18, an enought food & equipment to stay at sea for about 6 months.

Learnt that from Discovery channel :thumb:

Plug
27-01-10, 09:46 PM
Devon Coasts hey

Group meet at mine to plot a bit of a pirate attack :)

Edd
27-01-10, 09:47 PM
Binking ftw

Jack
27-01-10, 09:50 PM
Storing a product until the price increases is called a Contango. Its nothing new, and oil companies have been doing it for years. Contangos caused the oil price to rise from its low of $36 a barrel to the >$70 a barrel we see today. The cold snap we had over the past couple of months played into the oil companies' hands as it allowed them to empty out some of their stores before they hit max capacity (at which point they would have to sell off oil at lower prices in order to clear out space for new stock).

I've been watching pump prices rise pretty much weekly at my local filling stations. I also keep a regular eye on the oil prices. Funny how oil prices fluctuate both up and down, yet the pump price only goes up.

In the past month, the oil price has DROPPED from $78 to $73 per barrel. So why has my local pump price risen by 4p per litre?

The amusing thing is, at the height of the "credit crunch" last year, oil topped $145 a barrel. Pump price was around £1.15 a litre. Currently, oil is $73 a barrel and the pump price is £1.10 a litre. You're telling me a few pence duty and miniscule VAT increase is to blame for that? Pfft.

Don't get me started on the artificial price rise of diesel fuel as well. That'll be a fuel thats cheaper to manufacture than petrol by the way... lol

novaguy08
27-01-10, 11:58 PM
Storing a product until the price increases is called a Contango. Its nothing new, and oil companies have been doing it for years. Contangos caused the oil price to rise from its low of $36 a barrel to the >$70 a barrel we see today. The cold snap we had over the past couple of months played into the oil companies' hands as it allowed them to empty out some of their stores before they hit max capacity (at which point they would have to sell off oil at lower prices in order to clear out space for new stock).

I've been watching pump prices rise pretty much weekly at my local filling stations. I also keep a regular eye on the oil prices. Funny how oil prices fluctuate both up and down, yet the pump price only goes up.

In the past month, the oil price has DROPPED from $78 to $73 per barrel. So why has my local pump price risen by 4p per litre?

The amusing thing is, at the height of the "credit crunch" last year, oil topped $145 a barrel. Pump price was around £1.15 a litre. Currently, oil is $73 a barrel and the pump price is £1.10 a litre. You're telling me a few pence duty and miniscule VAT increase is to blame for that? Pfft.

Don't get me started on the artificial price rise of diesel fuel as well. That'll be a fuel thats cheaper to manufacture than petrol by the way... lol

Your right RJ (going to continue to call you that for my own sanity, well whats left of it that is!) its wrong the way that they do this however the do blame this on the increased demand for petrol. even though petrol companies only get like 45p/l from us its still far too high considering the profits that they gain out of it.

But again due to the highest taxes in Europe on fuel we get stuck with paying the high prices whilst petrol companies blame demand/tax. Its not fair and if you will excuse the pun the companies have us over a barrel!! The whole country isn't going to just stop using their cars/lorries/busses/various other forms of transport because of stupidly high prices.:cry:

However if they did then the petrol companies SHOULD in theory slash their prices because of the LACK of demand.

However why Diesel is so high is beyond me, probs because diesels go so far between stops that they need some extra profit from it all.

Jack
28-01-10, 12:15 AM
Thats the thing - 15+ years ago, petrols by far were the popular choice for the average motorist. Nowadays, most cars on the road seem to be dervs (in fact I think I'm the only person on the small road where I live to own a petrol car!). Petrol companies try to capitalize on this, and the generally higher MPG that diesel engines get, by artificially increasing the price of derv.

LPG hasn't gone up yet though, that'll be the next thing. Thought the duty was due to go back up to normal in 2009 anyway...

novaguy08
28-01-10, 01:03 AM
lol you think that the government are going to put the duty back down???!! They'll just claim that its some kind of duty increase to replace something else that they need..... a new water cooler or Mr. Brown(eye) needs a new holiday home!! they wont mention it and hope that no-one has noticed!

Yes with derv thats pretty much what you get, less sold more paid (yet the also say more sold more paid... hmmmm?)..... its to make sure that they get the same profit from it as they do petrol. its twisted but no derv driver I know seems to be bothered! In fact quite the opposite!!

LPG will eventually go up yes, mainly because it'll be claimed because so many people have had it done then they need to pay the same taxes as everyone else because they are as polluting etc etc usual government excuses etc.

You remember the original plot behind the petrol duty increase?? Because it was to drive us out of our cars into cheaper and more efficiant public transport, to make us all "green", well if i were to go on public transport to see my kids (about 45 miles round trip in the car) it costs me about £5 in petrol, however if i go by bus its nearly £20, FAIL!!

both the government and fuel companies need to re-look at their strategies because its royally screwing over the millions of people who drive, not to mention the millions of people who pay extra for everything transported by road in the UK because of higher fuel prices.

Oh wait, didnt the VAT cut fix that??............ erm, no because they added to the fuel duty to continue screwing drivers over, meaning the VAT de-crease calculated completely pitifully in the end...............

sorry I could go on about this all night however I need to be asleep 3 hours ago now!! I do enjoy a good topic like this i can rant over lol

burgo
28-01-10, 01:16 AM
i remember when diesel used to be cheaper then petrol lol

Welsh Dan
28-01-10, 01:46 AM
i remember when diesel used to be cheaper then petrol lol

I remember £20 filling my mums nova, with change!

Jack
28-01-10, 11:05 AM
Biomethanol FTW

But of course that'll never happen as they don't have a valid reason to keep pushing the price up.

novaguy08
28-01-10, 10:39 PM
True, because its clean fuel then they wont be interested in it. Not only that but wont that need a conversion??

Jack
28-01-10, 11:37 PM
Scratch that, I mean biobutanol, not biomethanol. It can be grown from algae, which requires nothing but solar energy to grow - solagal fuel. Biobutanol can be used as a direct replacement for petrol, unlike ethanol fuels

Angus Closier
28-01-10, 11:39 PM
Bioethonol is only about 3p cheaper in zummerzet than regular petrol and unless you get conversion parts it eats away at various components....waste of time....to be honest if i could make that sort of money i wouldnt think twice about people.....

EDIT: Now irrelavent...

Nebbz
28-01-10, 11:44 PM

try 112.09 some times depending on the day 114.09...they seem to like the 09 in clevedon for some strange reason......

Sick of it though, running even a 1.2 nova is deeming impossible! Its like running my 2.0 celica st202 when it was 98p a litre haha! thought that was bad then!

novaguy08
28-01-10, 11:45 PM
112.99p round here.

However seen one place as high as 117.9p a few weeks ago.

Jack
28-01-10, 11:47 PM
VPower was 117.9 last time I bought some, its probably touching 120.9 now.

Local supermarchéts have 95 for 110.9

Welsh Dan
29-01-10, 12:27 AM
Derv was 109 a few days ago in Wrexham.

large_steve182
29-01-10, 02:15 AM
whats the longest hose b&q sell? and who reckons they can cause the required suction to suck it from the ships to shore?

or how much does paul walker charge to jump from land to boat like fast and furious?