PDA

View Full Version : Bike carbs & alternator

matt_vaughan
27-01-10, 06:50 PM
Right, finally getting round to fabbing the bike carb manifold I've had the materials for for what seems like forever lol

This is probably a question for Mr Reid but I'll stick it up here see if anyone else can help too....

Now, I'm getting mixed signals from different people about mounting the alternator. I'm using CBR900 Fireblade carbs, and cant tell whether I'm going to need a Twin 40s style lower alternator lowering bracket or not.

It should be easy enough to fabricate the bracket, just dont want to bother if I can help it.

tom reid
27-01-10, 07:03 PM
I angled the intake runner on my manifolds to avoid the problem you face.

matt_vaughan
27-01-10, 07:07 PM
dont happen to know the angle you used? I know I have to have mine at 27 degree angle to keep the carbs at correct level, so will adjust runner length to accomodate alternator etc if I can.

tom reid
27-01-10, 07:13 PM
25deg on mine, had a one off done to 32, needed a hole in the bonnet though, you can also run your alternator further away from the engine, just usea longer belt, you'll need to fab anadjuster bracket anyway, that'll give youa bit more room.

matt_vaughan
27-01-10, 07:22 PM
by adjuster bracket I assume you mean the long thing bracket used to adjust alternator position yes? that's no problem fabricating one of those :D is it necessary to run a longer belt then, or can it all squeeze in?

tom reid
27-01-10, 08:22 PM
by adjuster bracket I assume you mean the long thing bracket used to adjust alternator position yes? that's no problem fabricating one of those :D is it necessary to run a longer belt then, or can it all squeeze in?

Yes, adjusts alt position.
Running a longer belt means that the alt is further away from the engine, giving you more room for th carbs/alt clearance.

Nobby
27-01-10, 08:39 PM
mines a standard xe manifold si i use the standard alt bracket! lol

matt_vaughan
27-01-10, 09:10 PM
This will be on a small block 8v, most likely a 1400 SE now.