PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Dash Bulbs

HardcoreDave
27-01-10, 02:10 PM
Hi,
I am new to this forum so please bear with me...
I have a J Plate Nova Saloon and some of the bulbs are gone behind the instruments and behind the heater controls.
Before I start pulling the car apart I want to make sure I buy the right bulbs and enough of them.
Does anyone know
1- What the right bulb numbers are (Are they the same for the dash and the heater controls
2- If there is any issue with replacing them with LED's (Maybe coloured)
3- Can the heater controls use coloured bulbs
3- How I get to the bulbs behind the instruments
4- How many of the dam things I need!?

Thanks in advance for your help

Dave- NovaNovice

Mattman
27-01-10, 02:19 PM
The bulbs for the instruments are "twist lock" bulbs (509t) check ebay for uber bright LED replacements, pick your colour (white to stay tasteful)

Heater controls are "286" again brighter LED replacements available.

Hope that helps a bit

Stolen from this thread

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137134&highlight=dash+bulbs

HardcoreDave
28-01-10, 03:17 PM
Thanks, that does help have ordered some from Fleabay.
Do you know where I can find a guide to removing the dash and the heater controls? Is it particularly complicated?

Jack
28-01-10, 03:38 PM
Its pretty straight forward.

You'll need a philips screw driver and torx bit.

1. Remove the dial cowling first - this is held in with four torx screws, one in each corner.
2. The dialset is held in with three philips screws - one at the top, one on the left and one on the right. Remove these.
3. You will need to twist the dialset to one side so you can get your hand in behind and pull out the electrical plug and speedo cable (the latter has a metal clip around it which you may need to push to release the cable - feel around the end and you'll see what I mean)
4. With the cables unplugged, the dialset can be withdrawn. You'll see the bulbs on the back, the illumination ones are the 3 large 509T bulbs.

To access the illumination for the heater controls, you need to remove the centre vents.

5. Remove the two torx screws on the coin tray atop the centre vent housing.
6. Pull out the passenger side centre vent (easiest way to do this is turn it to face the drivers side and then turn it a touch more and waggle it out)
7. Remove the philips screw that is in the vent gap.
8. The centre vent section can be removed. This allows access to the 2 (?) bulbs that illuminate the rotary controls

MK999
28-01-10, 03:51 PM
6. Pull out the passenger side centre vent (easiest way to do this is turn it to face the drivers side and then turn it a touch more and waggle it out)
7. Remove the philips screw that is in the vent gap.

The more common method for this is:

6. Not notice theres another screw
7. Pull it out and wonder what that snap was until you notice the screw tab x amount of time later. Personally I went for a few months here.
lol