PDA

View Full Version : Big problem, help needed!

burgessovsalford
03-04-03, 09:14 AM
Ok, last night I was driving home & it started gettting really hard to change gears, & also I heard what sounded like 2 bolts fall from underneath my car, near the engine!!! I carried on driving until I got home & when I stop & looked under my car it was full of oil all around near my clutch & gearbox. It did'nt look like engine oil as it was quite clean & my engine oil is black!

This morning I cannot even put it in reverse as the gears start grinding! Can drive in the rest of the gears ok tho.

What could this be? I had a new clutch fitted about 2 week ago, so could the fitter have done something wrong or could this be my gearbox on its last legs?

Any help much appriecated.

Thanks
Burgess :(

match
03-04-03, 10:46 AM
look under the car and check the bolts are still in the rear engine mounting bracket that bolts to the gearbox. (not far from exhaust, bolts into floor of the car)

when i first put my 1600 in it kept bending the rear brackets, had to re-inforce one heavily and now its ok

burgessovsalford
03-04-03, 11:10 AM
Ive looked under the engine but cant seem to see any bolts missing from the gearbox bottom... just lots of oil everywhere!!! :o

oil is not coming from the sump by the way. it around the clutch & gearbox.

Wiggie
03-04-03, 12:06 PM
are nova clutches hydrolic? or cable? iv just been woking on my brothers triumph toledo (quality!!) and same problem as you just said, it needed bleeding and new clutch oil....but im guesing novas are cable so everything iv just said is no help to you at all.

wigz

Nova-Boy
03-04-03, 12:20 PM
Cable on all novas i have ever seen. Not sure about the newer sporty nova SRI GSIs etc but i would have thought they would be cable too. Im i right?

burgessovsalford
03-04-03, 12:41 PM
All novas have clutch cables.

brian
03-04-03, 07:07 PM
check on both sides of yer gearbox where each drive goes in. the drive goes in through a flange which is bolted to each side of the box with 5 or 6 bolts. i have seen these come loose in the past

Nova-Boy
03-04-03, 07:11 PM
Clean off all the oiley parts and then wait and see where the oil starts comming out. Not much good looking when everything is messy cos where it is dripping from might not be where it starts.

mikeoxford
03-04-03, 10:10 PM
get the engine warm

spray a product called GUNK on the oily areas, leave for a bit, heat and gunk eat into the sh!te.

jet wash off.

now see where the oil comes from

burgessovsalford
04-04-03, 09:12 AM
Found where the oils coming from... ive got a big hole in the back of my gearbox, a round one about 2" inches round!!!! :o

So i need a new gearbox :(

The only good thing I can think now tho, is it worth fixing my 1.2, or should I get an engine conversion? :D

I want to get a 1.4 or 1.4SR lump, into my G reg 1.2. What will I need to do this?

rgv_stu
04-04-03, 09:33 AM
engine ,box ,ancillaries and a few hours

its very easy swap , everything is pretty much there.

i swapped mine all over in a day with no problem

Nova-Boy
04-04-03, 10:01 AM
You could get your gear box fixed but this is a good excuse to say oh well lets put a bigger lump in :lol:

burgessovsalford
04-04-03, 10:05 AM
You could get your gear box fixed but this is a good excuse to say oh well lets put a bigger lump in :lol:

Can get a gearbox from scrappy & have it fitted for ?100. But I wanted a new engine in the summer anyway, so is it worth spending that money THEN getting a new engine in the summer...

Need to get a 1.4 or 1.4sr engine with all the parts needed for conversion. O ye need it cheap tho. Anyone got one or seen anything about? Need it to be near manchester.

Nova-Boy
04-04-03, 10:23 AM
We had the same problem with our Golf as someone droped a bolt through the head into the sump. The clutch plate spun it through the gearbox casing :x . We just got the hole welded up :? Only cost about ?10 and took 5 mins.

YellowTurbo
04-04-03, 10:37 AM
i have got a spare gearbox like new for a 1.2 if you want it.

burgessovsalford
04-04-03, 10:39 AM
Where you live mate?

burgessovsalford
04-04-03, 10:42 AM
We had the same problem with our Golf as someone droped a bolt through the head into the sump. The clutch plate spun it through the gearbox casing :x . We just got the hole welded up :? Only cost about ?10 and took 5 mins.

Thats what I thought first, but apparently its hard or you cant weld to cast iron...?? :S Plus the hole is very big! about 2 or 2 an half inches round.

YellowTurbo
04-04-03, 10:53 AM
Herts.

burgessovsalford
04-04-03, 10:56 AM
DAM! :x

A bit far too travel for a gearbox, plus aint got a car to travel in!

Cheers anyway tho m8.

rgv_stu
04-04-03, 12:05 PM
the gearbox is alloy , it certainly aint cast iron

burgessovsalford
04-04-03, 12:15 PM
Sorry! fcuk no's why I put cast iron...

So you think I could get it welded or not?

Nova-Boy
04-04-03, 12:17 PM
all you can do is ask a garage/welders and see if they can. it would save you money now and then in the summer you can get an engine and gearbox together.

burgessovsalford
04-04-03, 02:07 PM
hhhmmm.... Might just do that as im without a car at the mo & the easiest solution will do for now.

Anyone know if you can weld a plate onto the alloy gearbox??