PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma

Tazzy
03-04-03, 01:32 AM
I have for sale a 89 G-Registration Nova GTE, I bought it in April 2001, at that time, the Tax and MoT had just ran out, no problems I thought, ill just get them done as well as four new tyres, the tyres are the only thing the MoT will fail on, the car is in perfect condition, and I have spent the last two years keeping it very clean and well looked after!

http://gnvilla.friendpages.com/pages/college/gnvilla/photo7.jpg

But because I cant afford the insurance, I am trying to sell it, I paid ?1400 for it and have spent about ?200 on it, new battery, plugs, fuses etc! It had 86, 806 miles on the clock, and in the past two years, I have added 1 more mile onto it!

The problem is, the price I wanted for it has dropped a lot, and I can not accept less than ?900 for it, aragorn suggested that I sell it has parts, this is what it has if I was too, if anyone would be interested:

Engine:
1598cc, 4-Cylinder, 8-Valve
Skimmed Head
Electronic Multi Point Fuel Injection
Bosch L3.1 Jetronic Electronic Control Unit
De-Catted PMC Exhaust System with 3' Tail Bomb and Colour-coded boxes
K&N 57i Induction Kit
Bosch Super 4 Ignition Spark Plugs
Magnecor 8mm Ignition Leads
Halfords Calcium Technology Battery
AC Delco Oil Filter

Transmission:
Factory F13CR 5-Speed Manuel Gearbox
Quick Shift Linkage Changer
Standard Clutch

Suspension:
Jamex 60mm Lowering Springs
Standard Shock Absorbers

Brakes:
Front: GTE Discs, EBC Pads, Standard Callipers
Rear: Standard Factory Colour-coded Drums, Servo Master

Wheels and Tyres:
15'x 6.5' TSW Avus-R Alloys ET49
4 poor condition tyres due to previous owner, I stated I was going to buy new, but I quit work so I couldn't afford to replace them!
Spare: 15'x 6.5' TSW Stealth Alloy

Bodywork:
GTE Front and Rear Bumpers, Rear Boot Spoiler and Side Skirts
GTE Front Grille Frame with Custom made Mesh Grille
M3 Mirrors (I also have Standard Wing Mirrors)
Saxo Boot Spoiler (unfitted)
Front Spot Lights
Mk1 Clear Front Indicators
Universal Clear Oval Side Repeaters with green bulbs
Chrome-Style Locking Fuel Cap Cover
Bee Sting Ariel
Re-Sprayed in Carisma Red
Factory Sunroof
De-Locked Doors
De-Badged Bonnet
Excellent condition body including front wings, bonnet, doors, slam panel, boot lid,

Interior:
GTE / Recaro Bucket Seats
Personal Steering Wheel
Nardi Hub Kit
Red Door Pins
Mk1 Dashboard and centre consol

Security:
Maystar S20-50 Alarm System De-Locked Remote Central Locking
Maystar S200 Immobiliser
Maystar S15-25 Movement Detectors
New Re-Mapped Central Locking System with new Solenoids
Spare Ignition Key, Boot Door Key and Fuel Cap Key

Performance: 105bhp
Top Speed: 120mph off the clock

But as I cant sell it, aragorn gave me the idea to take the car to my brother, and drop in the 2.0 8v Astra GTE engine he has (also for sale) that way, we might get a bit more money for it, we also have the ECU and Injection System, but that is it!

But the work would involve the MoT first including new tyres, then keeping the Nova driveshafts and outer joints but replacing the inner joints for Cavalier big block 1600s, then to replace the wiring loom and ECU for an Astra GTE one, but we did not keep it, as well as that, we would have to replace plugs, leads, gaskets, and lets be forgetting to seam weld the bay and move one of the engine mounts, then we would have to buy a 2.0 outlet manifold!

It seems a lot of work for me, as I have never done it before, my brother has worked on cars, but nothing like this, but I reckon we could do it!

So to be for sale would be:
1.6 8v engine (with new plugs and K&N)
F13 Gearbox
Wiring loom and ECU
Inlet and outlet manifolds
PMC Exhaust
Brake Callipers and Discs

So what I want to know is, would you buy my car as parts, as a complete car as it is now, or buy the car once we have dropped in the 2 litre?

novax
03-04-03, 08:50 AM
Dude,

To be honest you're wasting your time putting the other engine in it. Most Nova drivers are young and are looking for 1.2 & 1.3 engines not Modded engine bays they can't insure at all. I'm 37 and had difficulty insuring an Astra GTE look-a-like a few years ago for that reason. It's different for me now and my Nova is my 2nd car. All the work involved will not net you much gains as fewer people will be interested in looking at it, with a view to buying.

Leave it alone, it's a GTE same as mine and it's worth ?500-?600 with an MOT. I've spent ?7000 in the last 18 months on mine and it's worth ?4000 agreed value with the insurance company!!! That's just the way it is, sorry.

Give it a service, oil, water, and some polish and don't brake it. Been there-done that, you get left with bits in your garrage for the rest of your life and end up skipping the lot. Don't kill the GTE just cos you should have sold it last year when the prices were higher.

novax
03-04-03, 08:54 AM
Just one other thought, it's better to get the money in one go as getting it in dribs and drabs, it just disappears on stuff.

mikeoxford
03-04-03, 02:49 PM
id still go with the 2ltr 8v idea..... its enjoyable to do the engine conversion, and im sure once its in youll want to keep it, cos the things well fly - well the one we just done was :twisted:

Jim
03-04-03, 07:15 PM
If your going to do an engine conversion, i'd recommend a 2.016v if you want a 2.0. The performance from a 2.0 8v isn't all that amazing. For the extra cost and issues with making the transplant I think you'll be sorry if you tried it and end up kicking yourself.

Like novax says, keep the Gte standard. If it's in as good a condition as you say it is, someone will want it.

Jim

Tazzy
03-04-03, 10:09 PM
thats the problem, we only have the 2.0 8v, and i cant sell it as it is, there is nothing wrong with it, just needs four new tyres which i dnt have the money for as my money goes on other things, i have no time or money for the car, i want it to go to someone who can look afetr it better than i have (and i really have looked after it!)

Tazzy
03-04-03, 10:12 PM
also, just wondering, How much would it cost for my brother and myself to do to the transplant? From taking out the 1.6 and other parts, and putting in the 2.0 and all other parts, including inner joints, wiring loom, plugs, leads, gaskets, engine work itself, brakes, etc!

mikeoxford
03-04-03, 10:23 PM
andy mate send me a email or msg on MSN

ill come down one night look at the gte and the engine etc.

may be intrested...................................

Neil.
04-04-03, 12:14 AM
if i had ?900 i'd definately buy it! some one will want it! I DO!

ade
04-04-03, 12:28 PM
like Neil, I'd buiy it off ya (maybe knock ya down a bit though! :D ).

DONT KILL IT! It'd be a shame to break it if it is as mint as you say. Look after it - who knows in a few years it may appreciate in value! Theyre getting on a bit and original GTE's in excellent condition are not that common anymore.

Ade

Nova-Boy
04-04-03, 12:55 PM
Dont break it cos it will take you ages to sell it all and then theres postage etc etc.

Keep the car together. Put it up for sale and someone WILL buy it cos it looks mint. You could save up for tyres then slap a MOT on it, put the price up a lil and sell it straight away!

Somone who knows about cars wont be scared that it has no MOT as they will be able to tell what it will pass/fail on.

Like many others if i could afford it i would (and get insured on it!!)

Snowface
04-04-03, 09:51 PM
i thought you said u can't afford the insurance on a 1.6. Putting a 2.0 in is gonna bump that up a lot.

techie
04-04-03, 10:29 PM
Go to www.mytyres.net

Very good for cheap tyres. Got my 195/45 15 Toyo Proxes for ?40 each inc VAT and delivery.

?Marty?
05-04-03, 12:17 AM
Look, just get some re-moulds or part-worns if you can't afford new tyres, and get an MotT & 6 months tax on it. Then sell it COMPLETE.

mikeoxford
05-04-03, 12:41 AM
Then sell it COMPLETE.

to me with the 2ltr in a trailer :)

Tazzy
05-04-03, 12:55 AM
Snowface - i cant afford the insurance on a 1.6, but i need to sell it, so i thought that if i whack in a 2.0m someone might be more dempted to buy it!

Mike - lol, mate, make me an offer, ill hand the keys over to you tomorrow, and ill bring the engine up from watford for nothing, but my bro will want some lizzies for it!

Fester
05-04-03, 01:08 AM
i dont think u will have an easy time selling without an MOT, what are they 40bob now assuming nothings needed? on the flip side with 12 months ticket on there i think you will generate a lot more interest. it looks tops from the pic :)

Tazzy
05-04-03, 01:53 AM
the bottom line is, i have a sh*t job! lol, my money is my living expenses, i dont have any left over money to invest in the gte, ive ran out, this time a yr ago, a had loads of money, i had all the plans for it sorted, and had the money to do them, then, my manager let me down, so i had to spend all my money of living expenses and i havent been able to get myslef back on my feet, so the car has to go on getting a cheaper car and depos for insurance, only then will i be able to get myself sorted!

there is nothing wrong with the car at all, its beautiful, but all it needs is four new tyres, tax and mot, i just dont have the left over money for a car i can drive, i just want to see it go to a good home where i know it will be looked after!